Page 1 of 1

Problem solved: Can't access my BIOS config!

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:53 pm
by Doug B
I recently built a new computer. I installed LMDE 2 and everything went well.

The only problem is that now, I cannot access the BIOS. I tried F2 and Del but the computer just continued booting.

Any ideas?

TIA.

Doug

Re: Can't access my BIOS config!

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:15 am
by all41
Well your new motherboard definitely has a bios entry mode--Investigate that mfg link.
It could be F1 f2 f12 esc, del, I have seen others. Some require tapping the key, others pressing

Re: Can't access my BIOS config!

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:41 am
by Doug B
all41 wrote:Well your new motherboard definitely has a bios entry mode--Investigate that mfg link.
It could be F1 f2 f12 esc, del, I have seen others. Some require tapping the key, others pressing
Yes, and as I said previously, it was F2 or Del for bios entry mode. That worked before when I had Mint Linux
Cinammon based on Ubuntu installed. But now that I installed LMDE 2, there is no longer any bios access!

And yes, I tried as many key combinations as I could think of.

BTW-my BIOS is by American Megatrends and I am using an ASUS Motherboard and AMD A10 processor.

Re: Can't access my BIOS config!

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:56 am
by all41
Here is the thing.
Yes, and as I said previously, it was F2 or Del for bios entry mode. That worked before when I had Mint Linux
All this happens well before your computer knows anything about the operating system you wish to load.

Re: Can't access my BIOS config!

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:09 pm
by Gurnsy
Did you need to change any usb legacy settings while installing LMDE2?

If your using a usb keyboard, it may not be getting initialized until the os has booted due to the bios not initializing some usb devices at post time.

If you have a usb to ps2 adapter and have the appropriate ps2 kb port you may be able to use that. Otherwise you may need to open the case and short out the cmos pins to reset your bios.

Cheers

Re: Can't access my BIOS config!

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:04 pm
by Doug B
Problem solved: The problem was caused by having my keyboard plugged into a powered usb hub. The system wouldn't recognize the keyboard when plugged into the hub. I plugged the keyboard into a usb port on the motherboard and it worked when I pressed F2.

Re: Problem solved: Can't access my BIOS config!

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:30 pm
by Habitual
I always check the physical first. :)
Removing any "variables" in the way., is a good first step.

Good job and well done.

Re: Can't access my BIOS config!

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:31 pm
by JerryF
Doug B wrote:Problem solved: The problem was caused by having my keyboard plugged into a powered usb hub. The system wouldn't recognize the keyboard when plugged into the hub. I plugged the keyboard into a usb port on the motherboard and it worked when I pressed F2.
Yay! Great to hear.

Re: Problem solved: Can't access my BIOS config!

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:04 pm
by Doug B
Habitual wrote:I always check the physical first. :)
Removing any "variables" in the way., is a good first step.

Good job and well done.
It's a new one on me! :oops:

Ah well, next time I'll know better. :roll:

Thanks everyone.

Doug