Toshiba qosmio f40 Linux mint 18.3 cpu fan won’t turn on

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Spro504

Toshiba qosmio f40 Linux mint 18.3 cpu fan won’t turn on

Post by Spro504 »

I have a toshiba qosmio f40 model no. PQF46U-023006 running Linux mint 18.3 cinnamon.
My cpu fan does not turn on and also my touchpad does not work(the touchpad is not a big deal if it doesn’t work, but it needs the fan) I bought a new fan and a used touchpad swapped them out thinking that was the issue and still nothing. I took my old fan, the one I took out and removed the pins from the connector and touched them to my raspberry pi 5v and ground gpio pins and it worked.
So I installed fancontrol and it did not detect any sensors when I ran pwmconfig. When I run sensors I get virtual adapter temp1 and temp2 and ISA adapter core 0 and core 1
Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Toshiba qosmio f40 Linux mint 18.3 cpu fan won’t turn on

Post by deepakdeshp »

May be a problem with fan/temperature sensor.
Last edited by deepakdeshp on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Spro504

Post by Spro504 »

So the old fan that I took out worked fine, the temperature sensor I never thought of but it did tell it to shutdown.
As for turning the fan on in the BIOS menu, I could not find the switch, the fan is a 3 wire so I even looked for a smart fan feature, but no luck.
I read somewhere about editing a line to trick the computer into thinking it has windows on it, but I couldn’t even see the line to edit, so I stuck my original recovery media in it for windows vista and it still did not work so I just loaded Linux mint 18.3 64 bit back onto it
Spro504

Post by Spro504 »

My touchpad started working after reloading Linux on to it, but still not fan.
I found this issue and solution but when I tried executing the commands for step one it couldn’t find them
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/644898

Return to “LMDE Archive”