Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cm1
Level 1
Level 1

Turn off SSD while in LMDE2

Post by cm1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi,

I'm booting LMDE2 from an internal HDD, and I also have an internal SSD that's exclusively used to boot and run Windows and Windows programs. Is there a way to configure LMDE 2 to turn off the SSD or at least put it permanently to sleep/suspend to save power, reduce heat, and reduce wear and tear on the SSD?

Thanks

catweazel
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Turn off SSD while in LMDE2

Post by catweazel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:18 am

cm1 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:50 pm
Hi,

I'm booting LMDE2 from an internal HDD, and I also have an internal SSD that's exclusively used to boot and run Windows and Windows programs. Is there a way to configure LMDE 2 to turn off the SSD or at least put it permanently to sleep/suspend to save power, reduce heat, and reduce wear and tear on the SSD?
If the device isn't mounted then it isn't going to experience any wear and tear whatsoever. Not mounting the drive means it will only consume marginal energy and that's pretty much all you can do.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

cm1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Turn off SSD while in LMDE2

Post by cm1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:31 am

I ended up adding:
hdparm -Y /dev/sda
to /etc/rc.local, to put my SSD in standby mode.

Return to “Hardware Support”