Turn off SSD while in LMDE2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cm1

Turn off SSD while in LMDE2

Post by cm1 »

Hi,

I'm booting LMDE2 from an internal HDD, and I also have an internal SSD that's exclusively used to boot and run Windows and Windows programs. Is there a way to configure LMDE 2 to turn off the SSD or at least put it permanently to sleep/suspend to save power, reduce heat, and reduce wear and tear on the SSD?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Turn off SSD while in LMDE2

Post by catweazel »

cm1 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:50 pm Hi,

I'm booting LMDE2 from an internal HDD, and I also have an internal SSD that's exclusively used to boot and run Windows and Windows programs. Is there a way to configure LMDE 2 to turn off the SSD or at least put it permanently to sleep/suspend to save power, reduce heat, and reduce wear and tear on the SSD?
If the device isn't mounted then it isn't going to experience any wear and tear whatsoever. Not mounting the drive means it will only consume marginal energy and that's pretty much all you can do.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
cm1

Re: Turn off SSD while in LMDE2

Post by cm1 »

I ended up adding:
hdparm -Y /dev/sda
to /etc/rc.local, to put my SSD in standby mode.

Return to “LMDE Archive”