[SOLVED] driver manager for lmde2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
hatebreed

[SOLVED] driver manager for lmde2

Post by hatebreed »

I was curious if there is a driver manager for lmde2 or is it possible to use the driver manager from linux mint 18 in lmde2? I'm looking for an easier way to install nvidia drivers in lmde2. I've been fighting the driver install for a few days now and i'm getting annoyed. There has to be an easier way to get them installed and working. Any suguestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: driver manager for lmde2

Post by Hoser Rob »

There's a reason that Mint Driver Manager isn't in LMDE. It's not Ubuntu based, it's Debian based. And Debian is a much more conservative and restrictive Linux distro than Ubuntu. I know newbies tend to think you can do anything you want in Linux but that's not really true. It will ALLOW you do do just about anything if you have a sudo password because the system will then assume you know what you're doing. But it doesn;t mean it'll work. Linux is actually pretty restrictive in some ways.

Don't try to install Mint Driver Manager in LMDE ... if it worked I think it'd already be there.

If you're seeking LMDE support you should post in the LMDE section. You're likely going to get a lot of answers that apply to Ubuntu based mint but not LMDE. In fact, Debian isn't a particularly beginner friendly distro and I don't thinik LMDE is either.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

SMXI is a good tool for installing drivers in Debian. https://smxi.org/
hatebreed

Post by hatebreed »

I've read a little about smxi and was thinking of trying it but I wanted to make sure there wasnt anything in the repos first
hatebreed

Post by hatebreed »

Not a beginner. Been using linux for almost 10 years straight and off and on before that. I used to use Ubuntu and then went to mint. I loved regular mint but I wanted a rolling release so I moved to lmde a bit ago. I just got an nvidia 1060 card and started having allot of problems. Got the xserver failed screen and went to command prompt. I've been there before but this time I couldn't get back to my desktop no matter what I tried and what I read on the net didn't work. Now I got back into the desktop and it's going into fallback mode. The free driver won't work nor will the proprietary driver work. I really can't believe that the nvidia driver is so old school and doesn't have a gui app installer. I upgraded from amd cards and they have a gui installer. What gives? Nvidia nor the community have made a gui installer yet. I'm not trying to sound nubish but I would think that for something as important as a graphics driver it would work and it would be a whole lot easier as well.
hatebreed

Post by hatebreed »

I finally got it going. Here's what worked for me. I followed the tutorial on youtube by don't call me lenny and i'll post the link. there is one exception to it though. when you get to the part where you are to install the nvidia-driver package you must use jessie-backports in order for it to work. the package in the regular repos won't work with my card which is an nvidia 1060 card. For some reason it will not recognize this card. Follow the tutorial on how to add jessie-backports to your sources.list and then apt-get update for it to look there then you must use apt-get -t jessie-backports install "package name" for the system to look in jessie-backports for whatever package you are trying to install.By the way, it told me where to install the driver from when i ran nvidia-detect. Here are the links i used

https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/#index2h2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5RJzZxQ62U

Hope this helps cause this is the only way i could get it to work.

Return to “LMDE Archive”