3 Open Ports

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bigbenaugust

Re: 3 Open Ports

Post by bigbenaugust »

Embrace the command line and just use ufw. :)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I would normally--I love the terminal and do a lot of work in it. However, for some odd reason, ufw and I just never did "gel", so I've stuck with gufw. Who knows, I might have to go with ufw, though. :D
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

bigbenaugust wrote:Embrace the command line and just use ufw. :)
I am inclined to agree with you, bigbenaugust
The debs he downloaded are the exact same version than what's in the repo

Notes:

Code: Select all

Starting Nmap 6.47 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-10-26 16:38 EDT
Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
Host is up (0.00027s latency).
Other addresses for localhost (not scanned): 127.0.0.1
Not shown: 996 closed ports
PORT    STATE SERVICE
139/tcp open  netbios-ssn
445/tcp open  microsoft-ds
631/tcp open  ipp
ufw in it's default state/setting is "Default: deny (incoming)"
and Fred says his canyouseeme.org scan shows all ports closed, I believe he's good.

Manually, I'd block ports using ufw command-line using

Code: Select all

sudo ufw deny 139
ufw deny 445
ufw deny 631
The gufw is "cute" but let's face it, it is just lipstick on the pig.

Fred?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Habitual wrote:it is just lipstick on the pig.
:lol: I am so using that line somewhere! :lol:
Sure, I'll stick with ufw. I'm just curious if this is a Debian or gufw bug. It's apparently not DE-specific because I get the same results in MATE. Either that or it's gnome-based DEs that give it fits...
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
bigbenaugust

Post by bigbenaugust »

Fred Barclay wrote:I would normally--I love the terminal and do a lot of work in it. However, for some odd reason, ufw and I just never did "gel", so I've stuck with gufw. Who knows, I might have to go with ufw, though. :D
For desktops, ufw is better than straight iptables. :)
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Fred Barclay wrote:
Habitual wrote:it is just lipstick on the pig.
:lol: I am so using that line somewhere! :lol:
Sure, I'll stick with ufw. I'm just curious if this is a Debian or gufw bug. It's apparently not DE-specific because I get the same results in MATE. Either that or it's gnome-based DEs that give it fits...
I'd say it's a Debian-gufw issue.

Just be sure to use https/sftp/scp when you are on foreign WiFi networks.
I'd hesitate using mail clients that are not securely configured for this very reason also.

I would use
https://mail2web.com/login/?lid=0&il=0
this service will allow you to check and read/reply mail in a secure manner on a WiFi, but you'd have to know your mail server settings.
That you can get from your Mail provider or from your mail client properties for the configured mail server, (this excludes the password).
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

UPDATE:
I just installed Debian Sid and tried gufw on it*. Sure enough, it kept on crashing just as Betsy did. (BTW: It's at version 12,10,0. You'd think that Sid would have the latest release--15,10--being a rolling distro, but no. Arch does, and I haven't had a single gufw crash on it.)
So, on Betsy, I stole ufw-0,34 from the Sid repos, installed it, and then installed the ubuntu (bad idea--I know) package for gufw-15,10. I did notice that gufw-15,10 listed python-netifaces as a dependency, so I'm wondering if python-netifaces is an unlisted dependency of gufw-12,10; therefor causing all the trouble.
I'm going to remove gufw from Sid, install python-netifaces, reinstall gufw (12,10) and see what happens...

*I'm hardheaded, I know. ;)
- Albert Einstein
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Way over my head.

You're on your own there Mate!

(Don't you dare email me on this either!!!) :lol:

Your persistence is admirable.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I just installed Debian Sid and tried gufw on it*. Sure enough, it kept on crashing just as Betsy did.
Haven't been following the blow by blow in this thread but if you installed Debian Sid because you had Samba and CUPS ports open in Mint 50% of your problem just went away since Debian doesn't install the Samba server by default so there were no samba ports opened.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

altair4 wrote:
I just installed Debian Sid and tried gufw on it*. Sure enough, it kept on crashing just as Betsy did.
Haven't been following the blow by blow in this thread but if you installed Debian Sid because you had Samba and CUPS ports open in Mint 50% of your problem just went away since Debian doesn't install the Samba server by default so there were no samba ports opened.
Thanks altair4. However, I installed it (in Sid) more to test gufw than to actually accomplish anything. :)
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Habitual wrote: Your persistence is admirable.
Sounds better when you say it that way. I'd been thinking plain stubborness. :lol:

python-netifaces probably had no effect. After installing it in Sid, gufw continued to crash--however, it now had a sort of "delayed window" in which, when I moved the window around, it left a "trail". I doubt this is python-netifaces's fault--it's an old machine with 1 GB RAM and a 1,7 GHz processor, so it was probably just a graphical glitch that happened to occur just after installing python-netifaces.

Next step: I'm probably going to compare the installer files (and maybe source code) of gufw 12,10 and 15,10 just to see what the differences are. Maybe I'll actually figure out the problem!
- Albert Einstein

Return to “LMDE Archive”