Problems with DNS server and DHCP

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
linnie
Level 1
Level 1

Problems with DNS server and DHCP

Post by linnie »

When I plug-in the LAN cable into my computer, LMDE2 automatically sets up a wired connection. I can ping an IP address, however I cannot ping a domain name. By searching in the internet I found out that this has something to do with the DNS server and the file /etc/resolv.conf. In the /etc/resolv.conf file I find a nameserver IP address that is not the address of my router nor the address of any DNS servers I could find in the router settings. The file also says "Do not edit this file by hand -- your changes will be overwritten".

I then tried several times to add an additional DNS server address in the network setting tool, but nothing changed in /etc/resolv.conf. The problem is not with my router as DHCP smoothly works with my Windows computer in the network.

Basically, I cannot resolve domain names and I am pretty clueless what to do now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chrissuninchina

Re: Problems with DNS server and DHCP

Post by chrissuninchina »

Hi, linnie.

In the Networking applet, are your DNS settings under IPv4 toggled to Automatic "ON"? Which DNS servers does it show that you're using in your Networking applet? Is it the same DNS server you get on your Windows PC if you open a command prompt on that Windows PC and type in "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes)?

Can you ping the DNS server listed in your Networking applet by IP address? Or can you telnet to it on the DNS port and get a connection?

Chris
linnie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problems with DNS server and DHCP

Post by linnie »

I got it resolved by simply editing the /etc/resolv.conf manually though it indicates that this will be overwritten (which it does not). And yes, the IPv4 is toggled to Automatic "ON"

It works so I am fine, nevertheless I find it strange as the behaviour is not as expected and DHCP does not seem to work properly.

Return to “LMDE Archive”