Remote Desktop Sharing on LMDE2 Mate ?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Hansl
Level 3
Level 3

Remote Desktop Sharing on LMDE2 Mate ?

Post by Hansl »

Hello,  what is the current state of affairs / the recommended method for Remote Desktop Sharing on LMDE2 Mate? Meaning to share the current GUI session for remote assistance, tried on several different machines with either a fresh install of LMDE2 Mate or an upgraded LMDE1 Mate.
The former start menu item Share Desktop seems vanished.
Looking in Synaptic I found that vino is still listed as installed, but it is obviously broken: no vino-preferences available and no means to start it. Using remmina I cannot connect, of course. Why is vino still included in LMDE, then?
I did uninstall vino and tried x11vnc which complains a few seconds after startup:

Code: Select all

The x11vnc program failed to start! 
 Maybe there is another VNC server
 already listening on port 5900?
although there is no other VNC server running, and changing that port no. did not help. What's the problem there?
I did not yet try Teamviewer which is recommended by many — is there really no working open source solution about?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
misterA

Re: Remote Desktop Sharing on LMDE2 Mate ?

Post by misterA »

The information from the following link helped to get vino working for me. Still had problems with remmina client, but xtightvncviewer worked great, or tightvnc viewer from windows works as well.

http://ask.xmodulo.com/enable-configure ... sktop.html
misterA

Post by misterA »

Just to clarify, I used the above link to set parameters for vino server using dconf-editor. Then I added a 'Startup Application in Control Center to include '/usr/lib/vino/vino-server'.
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrunoMiranda »

I've been having the same issue, I cannot get remote desktop server to work. I've installed vino and other VNC servers, but I don't think they are the issue, I think it's something down to the OS. I've even installed the LXDE desktop but no more options are given.

Following the link above, I've gone through the dconf-editor. Navigating to "org->gnome->desktop->remote-access" on the left panel of dconf-editor, and I have some options on the right panel. The Enable option is not one of them, it is not listed!

I tried to add it manually by typing

Code: Select all

$ gsettings set org.gnome.Vino enabled true
but I get an error stating that the enable key does not exist.

I've checked on another LMDE2 machine and booted up the live ISO, and both of them don't show the Enable option, although vino is installed. So yes definitely, this is something down to the OS level.

So, to start, does anyone know how can I manually add that entry?
Bye for now,
Bruno

(Always backup before you screw up :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”