limited to joining initial netwok

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
anthonyh

limited to joining initial netwok

Post by anthonyh »

Hi forum, I have an odd query.
I have installed LMDE on three occasions recently and in each case I can only access the internet if I use the very same ISP that I connected with at the point of installing with the disk.

I experienced this with two different ISPs and it affects both wifi and ethernet. The laptop will not work at an internet cafe for example.

I can "join" alternative ISPs wired or wireless and obtain IP addresses from them. I can ping within the local network to and from but never resolve external addresses.

I used the same installation disk each time so it is possible something was not properly installed due to disk error. However I can't see why if there was an error I get no warnings and no problems connecting and browsing limited to one initial ISP that the installation allows.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting my setup would be most appreciated.

AnthonyH
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anthonyh

Re: limited to joining initial network [solved]

Post by anthonyh »

Hi again, I have an answer in part.

The DNS servers seemed to be the problem and to fix this I edited /etc/resolv.conf as root even though the warning in the file suggested my settings would be overwritten. So far they haven't been.

I use # to comment out the existing names and added two open dns servers instead in this case 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 for opendns.

So far this has enabled me to browse using different ips but it does not explain why this restriction occurred in the first place.

AnthonyH
bigbenaugust

Re: limited to joining initial netwok

Post by bigbenaugust »

It is possible that your ISP is limiting its DNS service to only receive requests on its own network. Thus, you may be unable to make DNS requests to your ISP from the internet cafe, or even vice-versa.

Return to “LMDE Archive”