Can't create ad-hoc network linux--->Windows

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jimmyd1

Can't create ad-hoc network linux--->Windows

Post by jimmyd1 »

I can't create an ad-hoc connection between my LMDE 2 machine and my windows machine to run internet passthrough. i can connect successfully to teh ad hoc network with a windows machine.

Network manager detects the ad-hoc network but when I try to connect the GUI flashes and then the network disappears from the wifi listing and won't reappear until I cyle power to the wifi card. I then tried to make a profile and connect using the profile but that too failed.

My next step was to drop to the command line and try the directions here:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... ess-ad-hoc
http://superuser.com/questions/576661/h ... k-in-linux

Neither of these work either. If I run DHclient from the command line in runs but then drops the connection and IW shows it to not be associated with any cell. Curiously, if I try the option to add the LAN IP manually it throws an error saying "invalid lladdr".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimmyd1

Re: Can't create ad-hoc network linux--->Windows

Post by jimmyd1 »

I downloaded wicd and it fails to. It throws an error "cannot obtain an IP". Curiously, the windows logfile shows the linux network as connecting, assigning an IP, but then disconnecting.

I don't understand why a windows machine can obtain an IP from the network but a linux machine cannot.
jimmyd1

Re: Can't create ad-hoc network linux--->Windows

Post by jimmyd1 »

Here are the trouble shooting steps i have taken so far.

A. Connect router directly to linux machine...internet connectivity.
B. Connect router directly to windows machine and connect to internet via wireless passthrough on another windows machine...internet connectivity.
C. Connect router to windows machine and connect via passthrough on linux machine--no internet connectivity. I have tried Network manager, wicd, and the command line. I have also tried an external USB wifi card on linux machine to make sure it wasn't some wifi hardware issue.

I have no idea what to do next other than stop using linux and go back to windows.

Return to “LMDE Archive”