[SOLVED] Multi OS filesharing in 2018 - question.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Multi OS filesharing in 2018 - question.

Post by Fuzzy »

So, here we are in 2018. iOS, Linux, Windows, et al.

And here I am in 2018...still using SAMBA like I did way back when. Is this the best solution? Are there other solutions which are better now?

Thanks,
Fuzzy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Multi OS filesharing in 2018 - question.

Post by altair4 »

I suppose it depends on what type of file sharing you do.

Samba ( by one name or another ) is universal as it is the default file sharing mechanism on all desktops today including Linux.

Things have evolved over time: Apple wrote it's own compatible version of samba replacing AFP as the default and Windows 10 can use mDNS to address and be addressed by other hosts for example.

On the other hand things have become more complicated on the security front some of those initiated by Linux itself at the Linux kernel level forcing Linux to adapt to those changes.

It's never been the only way as there are alternatives like SSH. Which one is better is up to the user.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Multi OS filesharing in 2018 - question.

Post by Fuzzy »

Thanks altair!

I guess I'll stick with SAMBA for now then. I've been a little reluctant to have the mDNS traffic run amok on my networks...perhaps this is an invalid concern?

At any rate - thanks for answering my question and providing such great information!

Fuzzy

Return to “LMDE Archive”