How to correctly install nvidia.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
d4rk50ld13r

How to correctly install nvidia.

Post by d4rk50ld13r »

Hi

This is how you install nvidia drivers on LMDE2.

# aptitude update
# aptitude -r install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') nvidia-kernel-dkms
# mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
# echo -e 'Section "Device"\n\tIdentifier "My GPU"\n\tDriver "nvidia"\nEndSection' > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf
# reboot

*** Worked on : Nvidia Quadro 1600M

REF : https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... ion_340.65
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rüssel

Re: How to correctly install nvidia.

Post by Rüssel »

Here is what I did to install nVidia proprietary driver in LMDE 2 Betsy:

1. download latest driver from nvidia web site. In my case the file was called "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-352.21.run"
2. open terminal, write "sudo /etc/init.d/mdm stop" to stop the GUI
3. type "cd /home/YourUserName/Downloads" into CLI
4. execute "sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-352.21.run" (if the file name of your download is different you need to adapt to that)
5. answer "Yes" to any question the installer will ask now
6. when finished reboot machine with "sudo reboot"
Alley Cat

Post by Alley Cat »

I followed this post and took the advice of the first comment, avoiding nvidia-xconfig:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/331
TomRoche

easier way to install NVIDIA drivers

Post by TomRoche »

Why not use sgfxi? Works great for me.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I'd be reluctant to use software associated with such a poor website; one can read several pages of stuff like this
Sgfxi is a fairly simple script to run if you use a default, standard system, but sometimes people have special configurations or setups that might trigger a problem.
without them saying what sgfxi is or does. Amazing.

FWIW, I installed nvidia drivers the easy way:

Code: Select all

gksudo driver-manager
select "recommended".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Flemur wrote:
I'd be reluctant to use software associated with such a poor website; one can read several pages of stuff like this
Sgfxi is a fairly simple script to run if you use a default, standard system, but sometimes people have special configurations or setups that might trigger a problem.
without them saying what sgfxi is or does. Amazing.

FWIW, I installed nvidia drivers the easy way:

Code: Select all

gksudo driver-manager
select "recommended".
Are you sure you did this on LMDE2 "Betsy"? The command does nothing on my Mate system, and no package called "driver-manager" is listed in Software Manager, either as installed or in the repos.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

OK, I give up! I gotta holler for help here.

None of the above methods worked for me. The only one that would actually do anything was sgfxi; it did finally install the driver--which gave me a screen displaced 100 or 150 pixels to the right. Unfortunately, the position correction built into my old Dell monitor wasn't even half enough to fix it. I attempted to install nvidia-settings, and got a message that the installed driver was incompatible with the Debian packages, I would have to uninstall it first--but the uninstaller wouldn't work either! I ran sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall manually, which finally removed the Nvidia package. Unfortunately it left Nouveau disabled, and I haven't been able to repair that. I found the blacklist file (forget where now, I was tired last night) and removed nouveau from it (the only line there), and changed /etc/x11/xorg.conf so it read "nouveau" instead of "vesa" in the "Device" section. That simply breaks X. So I can only boot into X with Vesa at a max 1024X768 resolution. Not good enough! Unless some guru can bail me out here, I'll have to re-install from scratch. And then stay away from trying to fix a perfectly good system in the future!
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi kevinthefixer,

The first time you install the Nvidia drivers using sgfxi you need to:
1. Run sgfxi and install the drives
2. Reboot
3. Run sgfxi again and reinstall the drivers
4. Start the desktop from sgfxi

This is the only time you need to install twice.
Also, no need to install nvidia-settings separately. It gets installed when you use sgfxi.

Hope this helps. :D
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Yes, that's what the sgfxi "wizard" said, so that's what I did. It didn't install nvidia-settings, and as I say the screen position was way off. I went ahead and reinstalled LMDE2, so I'm back to nouveau, which of course was working fine anyway. Thanks for trying, but I think I'll do any future experimenting on something that isn't my daily driver! Dumb thing to do anyway.
TE901

Post by TE901 »

I booted from live dvd on AMD A6 motherboard with GFX750. All good. Installed to 120Gig SSD from live boot menu and rebooted from SSD. Uh oh, system unusable--fonts mangled beyond recognition.

Solution (for me) :-
Live boot from DVD. Mount SSD at /mnt in live boot filesystem
Download nvidia driver install file from nvidia.com
Copy driver installer from virtual file system download directory to download directory on mounted SSD,
"sudo chroot /mnt" to work on SSD file system, and then from within chroot session :-
Edit /etc/Default/grub with nano to replace line "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" quiet splash"" with
"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nouveau.blacklist=1 quiet splash""
"update-grub" to rebuild Grub configuration file.
cd to /home/<NAME>/Downloads and set permissions on driver installer to 4755.
Run the installer from the chroot root prompt. Agree to the license terms and follow the prompts. Driver installed and configured!.
Close chroot session and reboot into SSD.
Enjoy the beautiful clear graphics
Hope that this helps others with AMD motherboards and nvidia graphics.

Return to “LMDE Archive”