LMDE install with encrypted partitions or resizable volumes

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
TomRoche

Re: LMDE install with encrypted partitions or resizable volu

Post by TomRoche »

short answer: Make a LMDE LiveUSB and then retry.

long answer:
davschm wrote:I am getting a error when running the script about not being in the live environment. I am running it from within the live CD.
Unfortunately, "live" has 2 meanings in this context--sorta like "bandaid," which generally/colloquially refers to any adhesive bandage, but can also refer to one specific brand of adhesive bandage. In the Linuxsphere, we tend to refer to any sort of bootable media as "live," but "Live" also refers to a specific strategy for creating bootable media--as opposed to, e.g., Casper.
davschm wrote:My version = linuxmint-17.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso
ICBW, but I'm pretty sure "main edition" Mint-17.2 is Casper. I know Mint-17.1 is from looking at my LiveUSB ("Live" using the other sense :-) grub.cfg; plus this would explain your error. So my advice is,

1. Make a LMDE LiveUSB. CDs are sooo last millenium :-)

2. Boot LMDE2 from the LiveUSB. You'll have a richer, more linuxy experience, which will improve your quality of life :-)

3. Run one of these install scripts.
Pepas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Pepas »

The installer for Linux Mint 17.2 accomodates installation on LUKS/LVM, so there is no need for this script, I have cut out support for 'regular' Linuxmint for that reason.
[EDIT: the standard installer is too inflexible for some uses, and now we can have total encryption (no unencrypted /boot), so Linux Mint 17.1/2/3 and 18 are fully supported at this point!]

To install Linux Mint DEBIAN Edition (LMDE) on LUKS/LVM, this script is useful. :D
Last edited by Pepas on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davschm

Post by davschm »

Pepas wrote:
The installer for Linux Mint 17.2 accomodates installation on LUKS/LVM, so there is no need for this script, I have cut out support for 'regular' Linuxmint for that reason.

To install Linux Mint DEBIAN Edition (LMDE) on LUKS/LVM, this script is useful. :D
Thank you all for replying to my questions.

I am surprised to learn that the 17.2 installer supports encrypted LVM installs. I had played around with it for a bit and couldn't make it work.
Is there a guide on how to use the installer to accomplish this? Also, i have been using the custom option, or "Do something else" option, so that i can size things the way i want.

Or maybe you have to setup the LVM and encryption before running the installer?

I now know this isn't the correct forum for this discussion, feel free to move this thread or just tell me to move on :)
Pepas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Pepas »

davschm wrote:Or maybe you have to setup the LVM and encryption before running the installer?
It used to be that you had to set it the LUKS/LVM up yourself, and then start the installer. And if I remember correctly, you then also had to chroot and make sure a new initrd was made to include crypttab. Earlier versions of my script used to support the 'Ubuntu' Linux Mint as well.

I am sure there is a guide for installing 17.2 on a LUKS encrypted LVM partitioned "whole disk" setup. If you choose "Erase disk" everything is done for you, if you want more control, that works too. The principle is, make a physical volume, make a volume group, and make logical volumes. For full disk encryption you need a non-encrypted boot partition, and on a GPT partition scheme you need a small EFI GPT (0xEE) partition.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

Maybe this
provides instructions for 17.2?

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2026
davschm

Post by davschm »

Trapper wrote:Maybe this

Thanks, i will give that a try when i get home today.
Those instructions seem to encrypt the boot partition as well, which i wasn't going to do, but i guess it wouldn't hurt.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

davschm wrote:
Trapper wrote:Maybe this

Thanks, i will give that a try when i get home today.
Those instructions seem to encrypt the boot partition as well, which i wasn't going to do, but i guess it wouldn't hurt.
Just guessing but there probably is some sort of instruction to be found in the main Linux mint forum. I remember trying FDE when it first came available through the installer. I recall it being a very easy process.
davschm

Post by davschm »

FYI, i did work with the installer a little last night, full disk encryption (excluding the /boot) is possible with the wizard. But it will not let you alter the partition layout in any way and will not let you choose anything but the entire disk. And the custom installer will not let you setup an LVM at all.

I am still looking for instructions for setting it up manually without encrypting the /boot.
TomRoche

Post by TomRoche »

davschm wrote:I am still looking for instructions for setting it up manually without encrypting the /boot.
Define 'it' :-) If you want instructions for doing LVM/LUKS on "Main Edition" Mint, try posting here.
Pepas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Pepas »

davschm wrote:And the custom installer will not let you setup an LVM at all.
I am still looking for instructions for setting it up manually without encrypting the /boot.
Indeed, I tried out of curiousity. You can designate an encrypted volume, but not do LVM... How poor, I can't understand why they don't fix this after all these years, especially with the increased awareness of the need for encryption.

Well, the fix in the script was really easy, it now works for Linux Mint 17.1 and 17.2 as well!
http://j.mp/lmdescrypt
davschm

Post by davschm »

Pepas wrote:
Indeed, I tried out of curiousity. You can designate an encrypted volume, but not do LVM... How poor, I can't understand why they don't fix this after all these years, especially with the increased awareness of the need for encryption.

Well, the fix in the script was really easy, it now works for Linux Mint 17.1 and 17.2 as well!
Wow, Thank you!

After work today i will try this install and post back if it works for me. I am looking forward to this :)
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

Pepas wrote: You can designate an encrypted volume, but not do LVM"
Wow. I did not realize this. I tried through the installer once when FDE first became available in Mint. I guess it did not impress me at the time and perhaps that was why. :) I used a homemade step by step manual routine prior to that in LM 13 and up. It's actually fairly easy and I still use it with 17.2. I am excited to try your script with 17.1 & 17.2 supported in it though Pepas. I've yet to find a spare drive around here for that but I know I have some lurking in the big hardware pile.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

I just tried the new script with LM17 support Pepas. I did it for LM17.2 32 bit and the installer failed. Here is how I set up my volumes on sda2 (250GB size):

root_size=40
swap_size=4
data_size=REST

The install script created the 4G swap volume. Then it created a data volume using REST. Then it attempted to create a root volume which naturally failed because it created the data_size=REST first.
davschm

Post by davschm »

Pepas wrote:

I did use this script and it worked great! Thank you.

Someone else had issues with the "REST" option, i did not use that and chose to leave some space free to adjust sizes later.
Pepas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Pepas »

davschm wrote:Someone else had issues with the "REST" option
I guess if the space that is left is too small for the purpose, it might be problematic; it doesn't check for all eventualities... But REST is just implemented with LVM's 100%FREE, which just means: the rest of the remaining space. How did you hear about this? Any more information on what issues they had??
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

Pepas wrote:
davschm wrote:Someone else had issues with the "REST" option
I guess if the space that is left is too small for the purpose, it might be problematic; it doesn't check for all eventualities... But REST is just implemented with LVM's 100%FREE, which just means: the rest of the remaining space. How did you hear about this? Any more information on what issues they had??

In my case "REST" equates to 230+ GB. The problem is that the data LV with "REST" gets created prior to the root LV being created.
Pepas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Pepas »

Trapper wrote:The problem is that the data LV with "REST" gets created prior to the root LV being created.
Oh dear... That's a real bug; the code never checked which one to do first. Fixed! Thanks for reporting.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

Pepas wrote: Oh dear... That's a real bug; the code never checked which one to do first. Fixed! Thanks for reporting.
Thank you for fixing! When my install ended because of the lack of a root LV I simply manually resized data and created a root LV. Then I just finished the entire install manually because that's how I've always done it with main Mint. Couldn't find the time yet to go back and sift through the script to find out what was out of whack. Now to find yet another spare drive to test the script again. :) Thanks Pepas!
Pepas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Pepas »

Trapper wrote:Now to find yet another spare drive to test the script again.
Thanks Trapper! To be honest, I haven't tested this, but the fix was so straightforward that I'm trusting (hoping) it's working now.

Return to “LMDE Archive”