Install Liquorix kernel

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Install Liquorix kernel

Post by Fred Barclay »

That's definitely the wiser decision, atm. I'm still checking the dependencies for gcc-5, but it appears that all of them are not installed when you only upgrade gcc-5 through the Update Manager, hence your troubles. :(

Just doing a simple

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gcc-5
through terminal would work, but it also removes a lot of packages such as libreoffice-gtk that I really need!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Jennifer W

Post by Jennifer W »

Fred Barclay wrote:That's definitely the wiser decision, atm. I'm still checking the dependencies for gcc-5, but it appears that all of them are not installed when you only upgrade gcc-5 through the Update Manager, hence your troubles. :(

Just doing a simple

sudo apt-get install gcc-5
through terminal would work, but it also removes a lot of packages such as libreoffice-gtk that I really need!
Yes, true......than if you install it through update manager by deselecting everything else it only removes about 10 packages among which, no libreoffice-gtk....but than again it actually update the entire libreoffice sweet to version 5.....and like you say.....it doesnt install everything you need....so yes you are right....i did get into trouble

anyways.....after installing that way (i didnt use the cli because of that very long list of packages that get removed/replaced or updated) i had a hard time installing other packages.......dependency hell indeed.....

Should have known upfront though (you already even pointed it out......, it never works due to dependencies, specially with packages like gcc.......but ya know.....i just had to try :D .....i am weird like that.......and i was way to quick with posting how it actually worked after only checking with uname.....while i know i should test a bit longer to make sure.......bit to enthousiastic i suppose...would never do that on a production machine though or my main desktop....on testing i am a bit more daring :lol:

And in the end one could probably make it work but chances are you'de be running a straight up debian testing/unstable by than instead of LMDE 2 :lol:

Or one would be compiling custom packages for a while.....

EDIT; removed the post about liqourish to make sure people will not get into the same position
Jennifer W

Post by Jennifer W »

Update:

The 4.2.0 kernel is now also available through the jessie backport repository which is a " saver" option and a repository that can be left switched on without to much risk to your OS.

Jessie backport repository:

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrunoMiranda »

You can actually install the Liquorix Kernel on LMDE2 if you just install the linux-image and don't install the linux-headers - the last one is the one that actually needs gcc-5.

The downside is that you cannot run Virtualbox (it will fail to compile the kernel modules) or compile stuff that depends on the kernel headers. Apart from not being able to use Virtualbox, I do not have any other downside with running Liquorix on my "daily driver".

But if you need to run Virtualbox just every once in a while, what you can do is install some other kernel image and headers and then install Virtualbox. The Linux Kernels option on the Mint Update Manager is quite good and practical for doing this.
Run Liquorix on your everyday, and when you have to run Virtualbox, just reboot with the other kernel. Just be aware that if you hibernate using the other kernel, when you wake up the machine you must boot with the same kernel, or the resume process will fail and if you lose the hibernation flags from the OS and/or the hibernation data is deleted/overwritten/lost from the swap partition, you can lose data.

I have Liquorix (just the linux-image) running in both my LMDE2 machines, 32 and 64 bits, for quite some time on the 32 bits and now on the 64 bits.

I've found this note to myself from May: If you want to install gcc-5, add this do your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch main 
You then need to run the

sudo apt update
command and then you can go to Synaptic and try to install gcc-5. Can't remember if this did it but I assume it will.
Be aware that your repos will point to Debian Testing and a lot of packages on your system can be updated, but they will run the Testing version and not the Stable one.
You can point your repos to Testing, install gcc-5, move back to the regular repos (delete or comment the line from your /etc/apt/sources.list) and make sure you run the sudo apt update again in order to make sure your package update information is not pointing to Testing!
(I guess you could do something with apt pinning just to update the gcc-5 related packages, but honestly i've never bothered to learn the apt pinning stuff)

Regarding old versions of the Liquorix kernel, you can download a few from the
Index of /mepiscr/testrepo/pool/test/l/linux-liquorix
http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... -liquorix/

Hope I could have helped something...
Bye for now,
Bruno

(Always backup before you screw up :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”