Install Liquorix kernel

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Install Liquorix kernel

Post by Fred Barclay »

Please be advised: the Liquorix kernel is currently not safely installable in LMDE Betsy! Proceed at your own risk! I will remove this message when a fix is found.
G'day! The Liquorix kernel is a "distro kernel replacement built using the best configuration and kernel sources for desktop, multimedia, and gaming workloads." It also keeps pretty close to the latest releases of the Linux kernel; for example, at the time of this writing, it was at version 4,1,6.
One useful aspect of Liquorix is that it apparently fixes Betsy's tendency to have corrupted graphics on Intel chipsets. It's also nice to have a newer kernel than the default that ships with Betsy. So, without further ado:

Code: Select all

sudo su
echo -e "# /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list\ndeb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main\ndeb-src http://liquorix.net/debian sid main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list

exit
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install liquorix-keyring
sudo apt-get update
This creates a sources list for the liquorix repositories in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory and installs the liquorix gpg keyring.

At this point you will need to decide which kernel you need. Liquorix offers three options: 32-bit without PAE, 32-bit with PAE, and 64-bit. If you are unsure of which version you need, see 32-bit or 64-bit?; and if yours is 32-bit, see Is my processor PAE-capable?

If 32-bit without PAE:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-liquorix-686 linux-headers-liquorix-686
If 32-bit with PAE:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-liquorix-686-pae linux-headers-liquorix-686-pae
If 64-bit:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64
At this point, reboot and you should be on the Liquorix kernel.
Verify using

uname -r
It should say something like:

fred@aussie! ~ $ uname -r
4.1-6.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
Of course the version number may have changed.

Updates come through the Software Manager, but they are Level 5, so you'll need to have Level 5 updates visible or you'll miss the Liquorix updates. Also, please do not uninstall Betsy's default kernel; because if something goes horribly wrong with the Liquorix kernel you need a good kernel to fall back on.

If you spot errors here please let me know!

UPDATE: For those of you who want to try this on the Ubuntu-based Mint, it may be possible. The only way to know is to try it yourself. Just keep this in mind:
vrkalak wrote:The Liquorix Kernel is specially for Debian.

It will work with Ubuntu (sometimes) but is for a Debian Kernel.
The Liquorix Kernel will work with LMDE not for Mint/Ubuntu Mains Editions.

Ubuntu is based on Debian-unstable but the Ubuntu-Devs have changed everything so much - that Ubuntu and Debian are neither interchangeable or compatible.
In another words, proceed at your own risk!

UPDATE 2: It may no longer be possible to install the latest Liquorix on Debian Jessie/LMDE Betsy. Apparently one of the dependencies is gcc-5, which so far as I can tell is not available for Betsy. I'm going to try to find a workaround, but if anyone knows of a solution I'd appreciate them posting. :D

I believe there are Liquorix archives from which you can install a previous release of the Liquorix kernel but I'm not sure of how this would be done.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Ron-N

Re: Install Liquorix kernel

Post by Ron-N »

This looks interesting. Can it be used for Mint 17.2 Cinnamon?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I don't see why not. Just don't uninstall the old kernel in case something goes wrong. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Ron-N

Post by Ron-N »

Fred Barclay wrote:I don't see why not. Just don't uninstall the old kernel in case something goes wrong. :)
Ok, i'll give it a shot!
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Thank you Fred, i have recently had rather dismaying results after ineptly upgrading my Debian Jessie minimal with standalone OpenBox to the latest stable kernel 4.2 (nothing disastrous really apart from rendering pulseaudio useless, it just didn't turn out to be the bleeding edge system i'd imagined it would be). This looks very promising and i am going to go and try it out right away.

PS: I wouldn't dream of messing with Betsy, she's perfect! :D
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
abtygwyn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by abtygwyn »

Thanks. I've been having more troubles with blank screen during video playback using my laptop linked to our TV. In the past, I have used the liquorix kernel and found it help with media problems.

I have successfully installed and found that during playback of the last video we had no interruptions whatsoever, so that was an improvement.

By the way, I've set the update manager to level 5 as suggested but I've left level 4 unticked! Not sure it that's either advisable or necessary or if it will cause problems later on.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

abtygwyn wrote: By the way, I've set the update manager to level 5 as suggested but I've left level 4 unticked! Not sure it that's either advisable or necessary or if it will cause problems later on.
I have no idea. :) The only Liquorix updates I've seen have been level 5, so I don't know if any level 4 updates will affect them.
BTW: has anyone had any liquorix updates recently? It's been about a week or two for me--I've never seen it this long before. :?
- Albert Einstein
Ron-N

Post by Ron-N »

abtygwyn wrote:By the way, I've set the update manager to level 5 as suggested but I've left level 4 unticked! Not sure it that's either advisable or necessary or if it will cause problems later on.
I found this site about the update levels. It seems that neither of both levels are that harmfull. I always enable level 4 and 5 and never had any issues.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

The Liquorix Kernel is specially for Debian.

It will work with Ubuntu (sometimes) but is for a Debian Kernel.
The Liquorix Kernel will work with LMDE not for Mint/Ubuntu Mains Editions.

Ubuntu is based on Debian-unstable but the Ubuntu-Devs have changed everything so much - that Ubuntu and Debian are neither interchangeable or compatible.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thanks, vrkalak. I'm adding this to the original post now. :D
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Please review the UPDATE 2 to the original post.
- Albert Einstein
Jennifer W

Post by Jennifer W »

Might try this on LMDE 2 though i have been trying to upgrade the kernel on LMDE 2 which ended up in having lots of trouble with nvidia proprietary driver. (Missing source tree)
Installing the source tree didnt solve the problem.

However one thing that did work was reinstalling realtek and general firmware to get wireless and audio to work again after kernel update.
Thanks for this guide though, will give it a try and work around the problem you mentioned. If i find anything interesting ill post another reply. Thanks!

(edit: for 17.2 its best to update kernel from the update manager, its version 4.2.0-18.....the only thing that breaks is "ndiswrapper" so wireless wont work after that, still looking to fix that, just havent looked into it yet)
Jennifer W

Post by Jennifer W »

removed post due to dangerous information :lol:
Last edited by Jennifer W on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Jennifer W

Post by Jennifer W »

Completely revised my previous post, Fred's way is the right way, but just needed a bit of preparation.

And note: this is only for LMDE 2 not 17.2 or 17.3
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Nice work! Okay if I modify my original post to contain this?
BTW: any particular reason for specifying the exact kernel instead of using a metapackage? Just curious... :D
- Albert Einstein
Jennifer W

Post by Jennifer W »

Fred Barclay wrote:Nice work! Okay if I modify my original post to contain this?
BTW: any particular reason for specifying the exact kernel instead of using a metapackage? Just curious... :D
Yes please, use it if you want for your original post :D
(actually better for people looking into updating kernel that first post is complete....also....you started this and pointed in the correct direction! hahaha)

The metapackage gave dependency warning somehow, not exactly sure why yet tbh, didnt look any further into it and just used the exact kernel, ow and it was missing the linux header and refused to install that......i think that was the dependancy... :D
Jennifer W

Post by Jennifer W »

Another thing you could add is the possibility to leave the sources.list intact with the testing and unstable repositories, but only switch them of in " softwaresources" .

This way, everytime you run into a dependency issue while installing a new package you can quickly switch them on for only that particular install and switch them off again afterwards so you wont get de updates through update manager.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I'm going to start testing in a few minutes...

Are you aware that after you remove a repo, you can downgrade any packages that it installed? So if something goes wrong, you *should* be able to revert back to the default packages in Betsy. I'm only aware of how to do this graphically, so you can't do this if, say, the DE broke.
- Albert Einstein
Jennifer W

Post by Jennifer W »

Fred Barclay wrote:I'm going to start testing in a few minutes...

Are you aware that after you remove a repo, you can downgrade any packages that it installed? So if something goes wrong, you *should* be able to revert back to the default packages in Betsy. I'm only aware of how to do this graphically, so you can't do this if, say, the DE broke.
I am aware, though everything still seems to be fine......well not everything.....having trouble with wine dependencies...
The DE is fine though....actually better after also picking up nvidia 3.40-96-2 from unstable....which works like a charm

Anyway, some way to go to get wine installed, didnt run into problems with other programs, so ya, i am kinda looking for what to roll back......if you have an answer from the top of your head that be awesome

Edit: actually, i got it, its working now :D :lol:
Jennifer W

Post by Jennifer W »

I redid the whole thing since it is not working out really well with the liqourish kernel. (for me anyways, you can still use liqourish ofcourse if that works for you)
Mainly due to having to install gcc-5 aswell so i looked into picking up an older version.

I now got:

jennifer@jenndesk ~ $ uname -a
Linux jenndesk 4.2.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.2.6-1 (2015-11-10) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Which plays a lot nicer with LMDE 2 and does not need gcc-5

I got that from the debian testing repository.

So just add:

# Testing repository - main, contrib and non-free branches

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main non-free contrib

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main non-free contrib

# Testing security updates repository

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
to your sources.list, like so:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
and add them.

sudo apt update
Than pick the version that goes with your cpu architecture from the list

sudo apt search linux-image
Example:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-4.2.0-1-amd64 linux-headers-4.2.0-1-amd64
reboot

Check with:

uname -r
or
uname -a
Remove debian testing repository or disable the repository in software sources.

To remove:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
And delete these lines:

# Testing repository - main, contrib and non-free branches

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main non-free contrib

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main non-free contrib

# Testing security updates repository

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free