How to remove deb-multimedia.org (dmo) repo from LMDE 2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gweaver

Re: How to remove deb-multimedia.org (dmo) repo from LMDE 2

Post by gweaver »

Interesting topic, thanks all.

I just replaced most of the dmo packages with the standard versions from jessie / jessie-backports and the vlc repo (the latter in the case of one just package that no one apparently talks about).

I just have the following dmo packages left:
* flashplayer-mozilla
* gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg:amd64
* w64codecs:amd64

I think I could use flashplugin-nonfree instead of flashplayer-mozilla, haven't tried it though. I rarely need to enable Flash and I'm looking forward to it going away anyway.
The other two are dependencies of mint-meta-debian-codecs, but I'm not sure they're really needed?

Frankly I think deb-multimedia.org introduces a lot of complexity and some risk, for relatively little reward.
IMHO LMDE should do one of the following:
* use apt-pinning to install just the packages *required* from deb-multimedia.org
* import those packages (likely less than four of them) into the Mint repos and drop deb-multimedia.org
* replace those packages with new package(s) that download and install the software in a similar manner to flashplugin-nonfree (https://packages.debian.org/jessie/flashplugin-nonfree).

I tried apt-pinning deb-multimedia.org at a lower priority, as per zorzi's example, but it didn't work for me. I'd already switched to the jessie packages, and apt wanted to replace them with the dmo packages despite the pin priority being 99.
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

Hi gweaver,

Well, I'm really not a pinning expert. In my case, setting the deb multimedia repo priority at 99 just worked fine, on LMDE2 and also on a pure debian 8.

Could you tell us what packages are concerned ?

You may try to modify again the priority (not over 500), apt-get update, and see what occurs.

You may also try a pinning priority at 0. Thus the dmo should be shutted down temporarily.
gweaver

Post by gweaver »

This worked for me:

Code: Select all

Package: *
Pin: origin *.deb-multimedia.org
Pin-Priority: 100
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

Good news.