An alternative to compiling software unavailable in repos

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
chrisuk

An alternative to compiling software unavailable in repos

Post by chrisuk »

More a tip than a tutorial.

Whether this is a good idea is for you to decide.

If you need a program that's not in the repos and the .deb has unsatisfiable dependencies; there's another way of installing it without compiling the source. For example; Grub Customizer (waits for "software wrecking ball" or similar comments ;) ) isn't in the repos and the .deb has incompatibilities with LMDE2. Fortunately, another Distro that I use (MX Linux) has pre-built .debs that are built against Debian libraries. I just needed to search through the packages built against Debian Jessie... which is MX Linux 16 - which are here. In my case, it's the same package that I'm already using in MX Linux, so I trust the source more than I would a .deb from another website.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: An alternative to compiling software unavailable in repos

Post by Pierre »

yep - the MX series is a solid distro
:D

my other laptop, runs even better, now that it's MX15 is upgraded to MX16,
- using the new, inbuilt System Upgrade.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Agree, great Distro for older hardware... better still for new hardware ;)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I installed Mx14.4 (I think) on an old laptop for a friend of mine. Absolutely solid, no problems whatsoever. I have MX16 in VirtualBox just to play with. If there was no Mint, I'd probably use MX. I visit their forums regularly, and they are very good about getting packages compiled for it. Good distro.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “LMDE Archive”