Updating existing LMDE 1 Systems to LMDE 2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Updating existing LMDE 1 Systems to LMDE 2

Post by xfrank »

woodsman wrote: More than a month since the official LMDE 2 ISO release, pushing three weeks since Jessie was released, and no official LMDE 1 update path. :(
I will wait until the official instructions to update will be available. We must be patient... :)
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

woodsman wrote:I am still stuck running apt-get -f install like this:

Code: Select all

apt-get install sysvinit-core adwaita-icon-theme libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common
So it breaks right after you run this ^ command? :shock:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

xfrank wrote:
woodsman wrote: More than a month since the official LMDE 2 ISO release, pushing three weeks since Jessie was released, and no official LMDE 1 update path. :(
I will wait until the official instructions to update will be available. We must be patient... :)
Clem almost finished the official tutorial. I'm sending him the feedback from this thread and from my own upgrade experience.
I can already tell you the official upgrade path will be quite similar to what me and woodsman posted here. :)

Basically, what holds us back is the weird breakage that woodsman still gets. If we won't be able to solve it in a few days we'll just post the official tutorial as is and add the note about using "apt install -f" if the upgrade breaks.
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

We must be patient...
Since last summer I think LMDE users have been more than patient.
So it breaks right after you run this ^ command?
Yes, I am instructed by apt to use apt-get -f dist-upgrade, which fails to complete fully with the infamous libgtk-3-common dependency breakage. I always end up needing to run apt-get -f install.
I can already tell you the official upgrade path will be quite similar to what me and woodsman posted here.
While I have been long prepared for that, the people I support are perturbed the update is not point-and-click and requires my help.
If we won't be able to solve it in a few days we'll just post the official tutorial as is and add the note about using "apt install -f" if the upgrade breaks.
The official tutorial should be posted somewhere so we can beta test. As I mentioned previously, I suspect one or more of the additional apps I have installed is causing some kind of edge case breakage that a stock LMDE 1 install doesn't see.
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

I hope LMDE-users will also be warned in the tutorial that LMDE 2 contains a constrained Synaptic (package actualizations are not possible) and tell them how to get the full functionality back.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

axisofevil wrote:Well - I gave up. :twisted:

I installed LMDE2 over / (and used my separate /home directory).
It appeared to go well (NOT)!!!!!!!!!!!

The install appeared to treat my /home very well - but
It appeared to attempt to set up GRUB to boot to a 32 bit partition as a MBR boot!!
(It should have done a 64 bit UEFI boot).
Obviously a failed boot ensued.

Luckily I had a super-boot DVD to hand. :D
This allowed me to boot into LMDE2 successfully.
I then ran these commands:-

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi
sudo update-grub
I then rebooted and all was well.

I am now loading several hundred extra packages... :shock:
Glad I didn't wait - I've been running a fully updated LMDE2 for several weeks now.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Monsta wrote:
xfrank wrote:
Clem almost finished the official tutorial. I'm sending him the feedback from this thread and from my own upgrade experience.
I can already tell you the official upgrade path will be quite similar to what me and woodsman posted here. :)

Basically, what holds us back is the weird breakage that woodsman still gets. If we won't be able to solve it in a few days we'll just post the official tutorial as is and add the note about using "apt install -f" if the upgrade breaks.
Thanks for all your work on this Monsta. I've decided to wait for the offical tutorial also, but am not surprised it's similar to what has been discussed here.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

py-thon wrote:I hope LMDE-users will also be warned in the tutorial that LMDE 2 contains a constrained Synaptic (package actualizations are not possible) and tell them how to get the full functionality back.
Can you explain more what that means? What are package actualizations?
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

cb474 wrote:What are package actualizations?
Maybe they are simply called updates in english, I don't know. It means to replace an installed package with its current (more recent) version.
The most important positions in Synaptic's context menu for packages are to mark for "install", "update", "uninstall", "complete uninstall" (probably the correct english wording is slightly different). LMDE 2 has taken away the update/actualization functionality. You can only use Synaptic to check what packages are available/installed and to install or uninstall packages.
To make things worse the former (i.e. LMDE's) possibility to tell mintupdate to wait x seconds after startup before checking for available updates (for those people who are not constantly online) is no longer existent (at least I didn't find it anymore in mintupdate's GUI), so you have to trigger the repository check manually or set the frequency at short intervals (default is 30 minutes, which in my opinion is a stupid setting for a distribution based on Debian Stable and an expensive setting for those using mobile connections).
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

To make things worse the former (i.e. LMDE's) possibility to tell mintupdate to wait x seconds after startup before checking for available updates
That topic was discussed earlier in this thread. :) I support people who do not use their computers much. The changes in the Updater design affects them. These users do not have high speed connections, about 1 Mbps max. They have bandwidth caps, although I doubt any of them come close to reaching those caps. I am resolving the problem by leaving the Updater set to check every 24 hours but in rc.local run an apt-get update, delayed by 5 minutes. The Updater's new design indicates that developers presume users have a 24/7 high speed connection and no bandwidth caps. The previous design made more sense. I do not understand the obsession to check for updates more than once every 24 hours. :)
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

Thanks @ woodsman for the link. I had not checked the whole thread as I preferred a fresh install to upgrading from LMDE 1. There's not much on my netbook anyway.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

py-thon wrote: LMDE 2 has taken away the update/actualization functionality. You can only use Synaptic to check what packages are available/installed and to install or uninstall packages.
Why wouldn't you be more complete and explain also why it was removed? :roll:
cb474

Post by cb474 »

py-thon wrote:
cb474 wrote:What are package actualizations?
Maybe they are simply called updates in english, I don't know. It means to replace an installed package with its current (more recent) version.
The most important positions in Synaptic's context menu for packages are to mark for "install", "update", "uninstall", "complete uninstall" (probably the correct english wording is slightly different). LMDE 2 has taken away the update/actualization functionality. You can only use Synaptic to check what packages are available/installed and to install or uninstall packages.
To make things worse the former (i.e. LMDE's) possibility to tell mintupdate to wait x seconds after startup before checking for available updates (for those people who are not constantly online) is no longer existent (at least I didn't find it anymore in mintupdate's GUI), so you have to trigger the repository check manually or set the frequency at short intervals (default is 30 minutes, which in my opinion is a stupid setting for a distribution based on Debian Stable and an expensive setting for those using mobile connections).
Thanks for the explanation. That does seem odd for Synaptic to be limited in that way. I wonder if that was a deliberate change or a bug. Perhaps you should file a bug report on that.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

cb474 wrote:Thanks for the explanation. That does seem odd for Synaptic to be limited in that way. I wonder if that was a deliberate change or a bug. Perhaps you should file a bug report on that.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 73#p872138
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

woodsman wrote:
So it breaks right after you run this ^ command?
Yes, I am instructed by apt to use apt-get -f dist-upgrade, which fails to complete fully with the infamous libgtk-3-common dependency breakage. I always end up needing to run apt-get -f install.
Can you post the full apt-get output - from the start to the breakage?
I'll check how it differs from the same log in a stock LMDE installation.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Err... Clem decided to go ahead and declare the tutorial finished...

Ok, so it's now official: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2013

Though I'm pretty sure we'll have to make some corrections to it.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Let the fun begin!

As expected it is a 100% terminal mode update.
mike77

Post by mike77 »

In VirtualBox, the upgrade from LMDE1 to Betsy worked without any problems. I followed the tutorial Clem's announcement of the upgrade path points to :

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2013

and though it took a while, it went fine. I found that the first apt dist-upgrade didn't complete the upgrade, running the command (as suggested in the tutorial) again did the trick. Once I restarted the system, update manager offered me all the new stuff, kernel 3.16, lots of updated software, cinnamon 2.6 (I believe), etc. On the few occasions I was asked whether or not I wanted to overwrite certain files, I accepted the default (overwrite), no problems there.

The only weird thing I encountered, and it's an extremely minor thing, was that after the final restart, my conky had lost its transparent background. However, a reboot somehow sorted that out. So far, everything seems to be working fine. As I say, that's in a VBox guest. I don't see why it should not go just as smoothly on the host machine - but I'll wait for a day or two and see what others experience before I upgrade for real :-)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

mike77 wrote: On the few occasions I was asked whether or not I wanted to overwrite certain files, I accepted the default (overwrite), no problems there.
Default should be keep. The default answer is No (keep, not replace). And that's what you should answer. :)
mike77

Post by mike77 »

killer de bug wrote:
mike77 wrote: On the few occasions I was asked whether or not I wanted to overwrite certain files, I accepted the default (overwrite), no problems there.
Default should be keep. The default answer is No (keep, not replace). And that's what you should answer. :)
Yes, you're right, and I was talking rubbish :-)

Return to “LMDE Archive”