Updating existing LMDE 1 Systems to LMDE 2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
woodsman

Re: Updating existing LMDE 1 Systems to LMDE 2

Post by woodsman »

I tested the update process again today. Here is the sequence of commands I used:

Code: Select all

wget http://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/main/d/deb-multimedia-keyring/deb-multimedia-keyring_2014.2_all.deb
dpkg -i deb-multimedia-keyring_2014.2_all.deb
apt-get update
apt-get -y --download-only dist-upgrade
apt-get -y install sysvinit-core mintupdate
apt-get -y upgrade
apt-get -y dist-upgrade
apt-get -f -y install
apt-get -y dist-upgrade
apt-get -f -y autoremove
apt-get autoclean
apt-get -y remove --purge `dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | awk '{print $1}'`
I seem unable to avoid apt-get -f -y install. On my systems the cause is adwaita-icon-theme. My systems are not generic LMDE 1 MATE systems. I have customized and added packages that might be contributing to the problem.

Those commands involved only updating. Because I want to retain my /etc config file modifications, I have to review all /etc/*.dpkg-dist files, which for me includes the following:

/etc/bash.bashrc.dpkg-dist
/etc/grub.d/10_linux.dpkg-dist
/etc/issue.dpkg-dist
/etc/issue.net.dpkg-dist
/etc/logrotate.d/cups-daemon.dpkg-dist
/etc/logrotate.d/unattended-upgrades.dpkg-dist
/etc/mdm/mdm.conf.dpkg-dist
/etc/modprobe.d/fbdev-blacklist.conf.dpkg-dist
/etc/pam.d/login.dpkg-dist
/etc/pam.d/sshd.dpkg-dist
/etc/plymouth/plymouthd.conf.dpkg-dist
/etc/skel/.bashrc.dpkg-dist
/etc/skel/.config/caja/desktop-metadata.dpkg-dist
/etc/skel/.mozilla/firefox/mwad0hks.default/prefs.js.dpkg-dist
/etc/sysctl.conf.dpkg-dist
/etc/systemd/logind.conf.dpkg-dist
/etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop.dpkg-dist

There remains some bugs of one nature or another:

* grub configuration thinks sda4 extended partition is xfs
* Annoying beeps when using the keyboard and rebooting/shut down
* "/init: 401: /init: touch; not found" boot message
* When performing apt-get update I receive three warning messages:
There is no public key available for the following key IDs

I have a long list of usability checks too.

While I already have all necessary packages downloaded, remember that downloading the required packages means additional hours dependant upon connection speed. One way or another, updating remains a lengthy time consuming process. Users should be prepared to spend several hours updating, checking files, running usability tests. etc.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Thanks for the update on the update, woodsman.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

woodsman wrote: I seem unable to avoid apt-get -f -y install. On my systems the cause is adwaita-icon-theme. My systems are not generic LMDE 1 MATE systems. I have customized and added packages that might be contributing to the problem.
Monsta posted something about this. Did you try?
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Monsta posted something about this. Did you try?
Yes. I specifically looked at that post when I encountered the problem. Regardless of when I manually install adwaita-icon-theme I still have to run apt-get -f install thereafter. Perhaps I am overlooking something obvious.

Edit: By the way, Monsta was using Cinnamon in his test. I am using MATE and that seems to be the problem.

Seems Mint 17.2 is being worked on. Seems Cinnamon 2.6 is being worked on. Seems LMDE 2 updates are being worked on. Yet we keep waiting for an official announcement how to update LMDE 1. Sigh. :(
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

woodsman wrote:Regardless of when I manually install adwaita-icon-theme I still have to run apt-get -f install thereafter.
Is that still the same issue with libgtk-3-* packages?
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Is that still the same issue with libgtk-3-* packages?
Yes, but seems to affect only MATE users and not Cinnamon. I tried preinstalling adwaita-icon-theme before running apt-get dist-upgrade, but I still end up needing to run apt-get -f install.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Aha... so installing adwaita-icon-theme didn't trigger the upgrade of libgtk-3-* packages like shown here?
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Aha... so installing adwaita-icon-theme didn't trigger the upgrade of libgtk-3-* packages like shown here?
There was a slew of other apps that were force-installed. I do not have my test system handy to provide a full list. Regardless, even after manually installing adwaita-icon-theme and the required dependencies and updates, I still needed to run apt-get -f install. My memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall I installed adwaita-icon-theme along with updating sysvinit-core and mintupdate. Attempting to run apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade then resulted in the result of recommending apt-get -f install.

I also tried different approaches, such as running apt-get upgrade then manually installing adwaita-icon-theme. Same need for apt-get -f install.

Perhaps I am missing something obvious.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I've tested the upgrade of three LMDE VMs with MATE. One is fresh LMDE 201403 installation and two others are customized systems installed in 2012 and 2013 and dist-upgraded since then. The result was the same on all of them: installing adwaita-icon-theme did not trigger the upgrade of libgtk-3-* packages, like it did in Cinnamon edition. I can't figure out why. :?

Nevertheless, I did not get that upgrade breakage on libgtk-3-* after that - on all three systems. But I guess it's still possible to encounter it (like you did), so the only solution is to upgrade these packages before dist-upgrading all the rest.

I've noticed though that you can install blueberry instead of adwaita-icon-theme before dist-upgrading to trigger the upgrade of libgtk-3-* packages (and some more). For some reason, it wants to remove mint-meta-debian-mate, so you'll need to explicitly upgrade that package as well:

apt install blueberry mint-meta-debian-mate
The installation log is here if you're interested.

Blueberry is the new cross-distro Bluetooth configuration tool. If you don't have any Bluetooth devices, it won't bother you in any way. :)
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

The result was the same on all of them: installing adwaita-icon-theme did not trigger the upgrade of libgtk-3-* packages
Hmm. Other than config file modifications, the only major deviation I can remember that I made to the stock install had to do with camera related packages. Just speculation but I wonder whether any of those packages are causing the breakage. That said, I also use my system for a lot of testing and have many more packages installed than a stock system. So perhaps one of those packages could be causing the dependency breakage too.
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Here is the update process I tried today:

wget http://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/main/d/deb-multimedia-keyring/deb-multimedia-keyring_2014.2_all.deb
dpkg -i deb-multimedia-keyring_2014.2_all.deb
apt-get update
apt-get -y upgrade
Several times I notice one anomaly message in the update spew:

No such key 'default-layout' in schema 'org.mate.panel' as specified in override file '/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/mate-panel.gschema.override'; ignoring override for this key.
At this point all is calm. Next I tried the following:

apt-get install adwaita-icon-theme
The list of packages to be updated included libgtk-3-common. There were no warnings about packages held back or dependencies. Immediately after responding Yes to the update I saw two conflict warnings:

libharfbuzz0b:i386 conflicts with libharffuzz0a:i386
libpeg62-turbo:i386 conflicts with libjpeg62:i386
When the command completed I saw the following:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgtk-3-common:
 libgtk-3-common depends on adwaita-icon-theme (>=3.14); however:
  Package adwaita-icon-theme is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libgtk-3-common (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 libgtk-3-common
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
At this point I have to run apt-get -f install.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

woodsman wrote:Here is the update process I tried today:

Here I would exchange the positions. First install and then make the calculation for dist-upgrade. Otherwise dist-upgrade is not up-to-date...
woodsman wrote:

apt-get -y upgrade
This has been discussed so many times... http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 79#p629994
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

woodsman wrote:Several times I notice one anomaly message in the update spew:

No such key 'default-layout' in schema 'org.mate.panel' as specified in override file '/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/mate-panel.gschema.override'; ignoring override for this key.
This is just an informational message, it does no harm and can be ignored.
woodsman wrote:Immediately after responding Yes to the update I saw two conflict warnings:

libharfbuzz0b:i386 conflicts with libharffuzz0a:i386
libpeg62-turbo:i386 conflicts with libjpeg62:i386
Yes, I saw these messages (and some similar ones) too - but apt-get auto-resolved that later during the upgrade, so this can be ignored.

Here's what you can try:
  • don't install mintupdate (no need for that - it will be auto-installed later, replacing mintupdate-debian)
  • upgrade libgtk-3-* packages explicitly before dist-upgrading the rest of the packages
  • don't run apt-get upgrade, run apt-get dist-upgrade instead
So it would be like this:

apt install sysvinit-core adwaita-icon-theme libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common

apt dist-upgrade
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Monsta wrote:All Cinnamon fonts are changed to Noto after the upgrade, except for "Default font", which was left Sans for some reason. This is easily corrected via the font preferences.
Clem explained to me what happens here.
A new version of mint-artwork-cinnamon package (or mint-artwork-mate if you use MATE) is installed on upgrade and the default font settings are overridden with Noto to match those used in Betsy ISOs. Those fonts that the user has changed before are not overridden.
In my case, I've changed only the size of "Default font" from 9 to 10 after LMDE 201403 installation, hence this setting wasn't changed to Noto on upgrade - it remained "Sans 10".
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

In MATE edition it might be a good idea to remove all discontinued MATE packages (like mucharmap, mate-bluetooth, mate-keyring and others) after the upgrade. You can easily find such packages via Synaptic - just check which MATE packages are still at version 1.6 after the upgrade, or simply set the left pane display mode to "Status" and then select "Installed (local or obsolete)" section.

Some info about package replacements (from MATE roadmap):
  • libmatekeyring and mate-keyring are replaced by libsecret and gnome-keyring
  • libmatewnck is replaced by libwnck
  • mucharmap is replaced by gucharmap
  • mate-doc-utils is replaced by yelp-tools
  • mate-bluetooth is replaced by either blueman or blueberry
  • mate-dialogs is replaced by zenity (it's 1.10 roadmap item, but it's been decided so in Debian Jessie for MATE 1.8)
  • mate-calc is replaced by galculator (it's 1.10 roadmap item, but it's been decided so in Debian Jessie for MATE 1.8)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

One more minor thing: in both MATE and Cinnamon editions, there's a load of unused old packages left after the upgrade (and they're not detected by Synaptic as obsolete ones).
You can install gtkorphan package and use it (as root - gksu gtkorphan) to remove all that cruft.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

Monsta wrote:One more minor thing: in both MATE and Cinnamon editions, there's a load of unused old packages left after the upgrade (and they're not detected by Synaptic as obsolete ones).
You can install gtkorphan package and use it (as root - gksu gtkorphan) to remove all that cruft.
I will urge caution here. deborphan --libdevel will spit out a package list you can, relatively safely, feed to apt-get remove.

The GUI makes it as easy as ticking a box to add --all-packages (at default priority 2) and --guess, which are not remotely safe, nor (probably) even correct.

Achtung! Cuidado!
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Yes, "show all packages" and "guess" should not be used, that's correct.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I used guess-all several time in the past and my system seems fine :)
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

I am still stuck running apt-get -f install like this:

apt-get update
apt-get install sysvinit-core adwaita-icon-theme libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common
apt-get -f dist-upgrade
apt-get -f install
apt-get -f dist-upgrade
apt-get install mint-meta-debian-core
More than a month since the official LMDE 2 ISO release, pushing three weeks since Jessie was released, and no official LMDE 1 update path. :(

Return to “LMDE Archive”