LMDE 2, so far so good!

Archived topics about LMDE 2
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

LMDE 2, so far so good!

Post by exploder » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:45 am

A few days ago I replaced my hard drive and wanted to try something fresh. I had problems with the main edition in the past but I wondered how LMDE would get along with my hardware? I had a couple of minor problems but got them sorted out pretty quick. :D

For the first time ever, Plymouth displays perfectly! I actually see the Mint logo without it looking stretched! :D The system seems quick and everything works like it should. I chose LMDE Cinnamon x64 because I like how I can set it up just the way I like it and it's not real heavy on resources. I also liked that new features will be offered as they arrive, kind of the best of both worlds because the base will remain stable but Cinnamon will keep getting better! :D

So far I really like LMDE! :D

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LMDE 2, so far so good!

Post by Crewp » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:49 am

+1 Love Betsy so far also. :D

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:50 am

+1 me too
¡Viva la Resistencia!

k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:55 am

Is it faster/quicker than the regular version?

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:02 am

Speed wise it might be slightly faster, memory use is about the same too.

Snowfall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Snowfall » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:55 pm

k357k9 wrote:Is it faster/quicker than the regular version?
It's somewhat faster. You'll definitely feel the difference on older hardware, but it's not really that noticeable on modern systems.

Bonsaii
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bonsaii » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:46 pm

Yep, so far it is excellent.

I grew tired of waiting for the upgrade instructions. Thus, I installed from the Live-DVD, keeping the old home directory.
Of course it required re-installing all additional programs and re-setting a few things.

But, it was worth it. Everything works out of the box and it the fastest my machine has been running.

Excellent work and a brilliant experience.

Thanks a lot

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:40 pm

I agree. Good distro! Brillant work :)
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Distro-Don » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Best distribution of ANY so far. Keep up the good work.

loloboho
Level 1
Level 1

Post by loloboho » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:16 am

I'm glad to see LMDE now using Debian sources directly. I'm sure it is much easier to maintain leaving only the minty things, Firefox and such to deal with.

I installed LMDE-2 in March with no glitches and it runs everything I have perfectly so far. It is now my primary OS replacing SolydX with MATE which is very nearly the same thing also using the Debian repos.

When "Jessie" goes stable April 25th, I understand the new Debian testing will be called "Stretch". I would like to create a fork of my LMDE-2 and direct its sources to the new testing. I'll keep both systems running and see how it goes. Does anyone know details on the new upcoming testing sources?
Last edited by loloboho on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error - HAL 9000

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:53 am

loloboho wrote: When "Jessie" goes stable April 25th, I understand the new Debian testing will be called "Stretch". I would like to create a fork of my LMDE-2 and direct its sources to the new testing. I'll keep both systems running and see how it goes. Does anyone know details on the new upcoming testing sources?
Just replace jessie by testing in your sources.list file and here you are. As soon as Jessie is stable and testing start rolling you will feel the difference.

loloboho
Level 1
Level 1

Post by loloboho » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:03 am

killer de bug wrote: Just replace jessie by testing in your sources.list file and here you are. As soon as Jessie is stable and testing start rolling you will feel the difference.
In a new installation of LMDE 2 MATE 64bit by default, the /etc/apt/sources.list is empty. The /etc/apt/sources.list.d contains the file, official-package-repositories.list, that is created and overwritten by the Software Sources GUI (mintsources). I copied the sources in this file to /etc/apt/sources.list and replaced jessie by testing as you recommend. However, to be conservative, I left security and multimedia to stable.

I then renamed official-package-repositories.list to official-package-repositories.list.save and removed the Software Sources GUI link in the Main Menu to prevent its use in recreating the file to cause duplication or conflict with the new sources.list.

I should be good to go when testing diverges from jessie.

Thanks
This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error - HAL 9000

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:42 am

exploder wrote:Speed wise it might be slightly faster, memory use is about the same too.
does seem faster, but that is in a VB. ..

- took about an hour to install in VB.
will now burning a DvD, to try out, then will see about replacing the LMDE1, with this version.

- did have some updates, available, already.
8)

- in the VB it used ~ 215Mb of the 1Gb allocated.
- on the live DvD it uses ~ 175Mb ram.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:40 am

loloboho wrote:When "Jessie" goes stable April 25th, I understand the new Debian testing will be called "Stretch". I would like to create a fork of my LMDE-2 and direct its sources to the new testing.
Please keep in mind that all software in Mint repositories (packages.linuxmint.com and extra.linuxmint.com) will still be made for Betsy/Jessie, so you might run into some issues in the future.

loloboho wrote:I copied the sources in this file to /etc/apt/sources.list and replaced jessie by testing as you recommend. However, to be conservative, I left security and multimedia to stable.
For now, it's fine because Jessie == Testing, but when the new Testing starts, this might cause dependency issues.

loloboho
Level 1
Level 1

Post by loloboho » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:12 am

Monsta wrote: For now, it's fine because Jessie == Testing, but when the new Testing starts, this might cause dependency issues.
Thanks for the heads up. I will be keeping a parallel installation pointing to jessie so if things break with testing I can always boot that. This is an experimental project meant to keep up with the advances made in testing. Please let me know if there is a better way to do this.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:16 am

loloboho wrote:Please let me know if there is a better way to do this.
You need to convert all your sources to testing (or none of them). You cannot keep half following stable and half following testing. In the best case, the one following stable will be useless, as the version they will provide will be too old. Worst case, as Monsta said, you will run in dependencies troubles. And here you will break everything.

So advise: follow testing for all or for nothing. :)
Last edited by killer de bug on Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loloboho
Level 1
Level 1

Post by loloboho » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:20 pm

killer de bug wrote: So advise: follow testing for all or for nothing. :)
My sources.list is now:

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com betsy main upstream import backport

deb http://mirrors.liquidweb.com/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb http://mirrors.liquidweb.com/debian/ testing-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main non-free

deb http://extra.linuxmint.com betsy main
As Monsta pointed out, I still might have issues with the Mint Betsy/Jessie packages. I don't know a way around that.

Thanks for your help

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:41 pm

Are you using Cinnamon?
If yes, then... hum... you may have big problems soon. :)

loloboho
Level 1
Level 1

Post by loloboho » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:45 pm

I'm using Mate.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:39 pm

If you are using Mate, I think that the experience can be interesting. I'm not expecting any big problems. Of course, you may face a few breakages over time, but nothing too serious normally.
Last edited by killer de bug on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LMDE 2 "Betsy" Archive”