Tracking sid/unstable with Betsy

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
markwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Tracking sid/unstable with Betsy

Post by markwilson »

Hi All,
Is anyone else using Betsy and tracking the Debian sid/unstable repos? I've been using the 64-bit Mate version and haven't had any problems but I recently read a post by Clem on the Mint Blog ( http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2825#comment-117190 ) in which he didn't think Betsy could be used long term with testing let alone sid. Thing is though plenty of people used LMDE1 with sid even though this didn't actually use the official Debian testing repos but Update Packs prepared by the Mint team. I personally found occasional problems e.g. I would have to hold the odd package before doing dist-upgrade, but on the whole it was doable, but is likely to always be viable? If not, I may have to switch to pure Debian sid and maunally install the individual .deb packages for mintmenu for Mate.

Mark Wilson
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneC

Re: Tracking sid/unstable with Betsy

Post by GeneC »

Hi Mark

I had been tracking SID with LMDE2, but abandoned it (Seemed little interest on the forum), and Clem mentioned that Cinnamon would have issues with SID.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=192258

I am using Sparky tracking SID with XFCE and all is fine there.

Code: Select all

gene@sparky:~$ inxi -SG
System:    Host: sparky Kernel: 4.0.0-towo.1-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux stretch/sid
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF104 [GeForce GTX 460]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1680x1050@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 460/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 349.16
markwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwilson »

Reading around it looks like the problems will just be with Cinnamon (not supprising since it's a Mint-created DE) so I
may be alright sticking with the Mate version.

Mark Wilson
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

markwilson wrote:Reading around it looks like the problems will just be with Cinnamon (not supprising since it's a Mint-created DE) so I
may be alright sticking with the Mate version.
I suggest using MATE packages right from Sid repos. For now 1.8 is there, but eventually 1.10 will make it there, then 1.12 and so on.
The reason is simple: they will be built against current Sid packages. I mean the dependencies like GLib, GTK+2, etc.

As for MATE packages from Betsy repo, they will always be built against Jessie's packages. So if you'll keep using them, you'll have to keep the outdated and obsolete packages in your system - possibly hampering the upgrades.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi markwilson,

I'm using Betsy and tracking testing. Sid is a bit to adventurous for me. I installed the Mate version and then Xfce DE. I only use Xfce with mostly Mate and some Xfce apps. I also switched to systemd from sysvint. So far so good. Time will tell how long this will last. :?

P.s. Mate from the Mint repos is slowly but surely being replaced by Mate from the Debian testing repos.
markwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwilson »

GeneBenson wrote:Hi markwilson,

I'm using Betsy and tracking testing. Sid is a bit to adventurous for me. I installed the Mate version and then Xfce DE. I only use Xfce with mostly Mate and some Xfce apps. I also switched to systemd from sysvint. So far so good. Time will tell how long this will last. :?

P.s. Mate from the Mint repos is slowly but surely being replaced by Mate from the Debian testing repos.
Does that mean LMDE will get the next version of Mate somewhat later than the Ubuntu-based Mint version?
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

markwilson wrote:
Does that mean LMDE will get the next version of Mate somewhat later than the Ubuntu-based Mint version?
Sorry, I have no idea when Debian will move to the next version of Mate. All I've seen so far is from the 1.8.x version.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

markwilson wrote: Does that mean LMDE will get the next version of Mate somewhat later than the Ubuntu-based Mint version?
Not at all!

You need to distinguish Debian testing and LMDE 2 Betsy (based on Stable).

GeneBenson is saying that Mate 1.10 is entering Debian Testing repo. This is done by the Debian team.
This will not impact Betsy for at least 2 years. Betsy is based on Stable and Mate in stable will not change.

But Mint team is packaging currently Mate 1.10 to adapt it to Betsy. And this version of Mate 1.10 will be available soon. There will be no gap between the main edition of Mint and LMDE:
The MATE 1.10 release is just around the corner. Upstream, only a few components are yet to be labeled 1.10. Packaging for Betsy and Rafaela started and is 57% complete.
http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2015/05/c ... mate-1-10/
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi killer de bug,
killer de bug wrote:
markwilson wrote: GeneBenson is saying that Mate 1.10 is entering Debian Testing repo.
Let me just clarify this. What I said was I am getting updates to mate 1.8.x. Mate 1.10 will no doubt be available at some point. I just don't know when. :wink:
But Mint team is packaging currently Mate 1.10 to adapt it to Betsy. And this version of Mate 1.10 will be available soon. There will be no gap between the main edition of Mint and LMDE:
This raises an interesting point. The packages from Mint will be based on Jessie while the Debian packages from testing will be based on Stretch. Obviously, since I am tracking testing, I will want the version from Debian. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how this all turns out. Tracking testing is getting real interesting. :shock:

Return to “LMDE Archive”