Betsy - 2nd install - some observations

Questions about other topics & discussing non-support related topics related to LMDE 2.
fotonix
Level 2
Level 2

Betsy - 2nd install - some observations

Post by fotonix » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:41 pm

I had one of my laptops recently devolve into a quagmire of distro tests, which all just proved that Linux Mint stands literally towering over other distros in terms of install, operations, and every aspect you can think of. So what better to do with a nice i7 laptop than clean it right up and make it my second machine converted to LMDE Betsy.

After the usual DVD drive workout to raise the GUI, the installer is one of the smoothest around. The language/country picker has more choices than a crowded bazaar on market day, and the lovely world map for picking your timezone is impressive. Repartitioning the drive started up Gparted alongside the installer and worked beautifully. Refresh, assign / and /home and go! My only niggle was right at the end. Almost every LM edition ejects the media on reboot - not Betsy. Its a very minor detail and likely something stemming from deep down in Debian.
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Betsy - 2nd install - some observations

Post by exploder » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:04 pm

I tend to agree with you! Betsy works better on my desktop than anything else I have ever tried. It just keeps getting better too! Now Cinnamon 2.6 has arrived, things really look refined and some really nice new features. LMDE 2 Cinnamon is by far my favorite edition of Mint. :D

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Distro-Don » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:26 am

LMDE-2 MATE is my favorite edition of Linux. In fact, it is by far my favorite of any other...

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:50 am

exploder wrote:I tend to agree with you! Betsy works better on my desktop than anything else I have ever tried. It just keeps getting better too! Now Cinnamon 2.6 has arrived, things really look refined and some really nice new features. LMDE 2 Cinnamon is by far my favorite edition of Mint. :D
LMDE1 was cool but not moving fast enough. With LMDE2, we have the perfect distro. I also like it a lot.
And I agree with you, Cinnamon is improving really fast. Cinnamon 2.6 is really cool and responsive ! :)
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:25 am

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg, now that LM main is on Ubuntu's LTS as a base, and LMDE is on Debian stable, we should see Mint really start to take off and grow, now that Clem and the dev team can put the time and attention into Mint tools and Cinnamon etc. I think Mint is really going to start to move in ways we all only hoped for in the past. ( Here's to a bright future ) :D

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:48 am

I see Mint putting back features that other DE's take away, things people like and often ask about. Cinnamon 2.4 provided an easy way to change the theme, icons and other details of the desktop and it was something people used to have a hard time doing. Cinnamon 2.6 gives Cinnamon a modern more consistent look and feel. Having screen savers again was brilliant! People often asked about screen savers and not only do they have them again they have them with a modern clean interface.

Nemo has really become feature rich too! To the best of my knowledge Nemo is the first file manager to have queued file operations that run in sequence, it's this kind of thinking that adds to Mint's popularity. I see a lot of creative developers working on Cinnamon, new ideas and ways of doing things that I never imagined! The new plug-in manager in Nemo is another example of creative thinking, it's convenient and something most of us had never really thought about before.

I see developers from other distros working on Cinnamon and offering it, that says a lot! It impresses me too that performance with Cinnamon is taken into consideration, originally it was considered a heavier desktop environment but it has gotten lighter and faster with each new release. We are fortunate to have developers from Arch interested in Cinnamon too because they help keep Cinnamon running on the latest, greatest technology.

I used to think the traditional desktop's days were numbered, Cinnamon has completely changed my thinking though. The traditional desktop just needed more creative and innovative thinking and that is what I see happening with Cinnamon today. The idea of Mint releases staying with a stable long term support base makes so much sense in so many ways too! LMDE 2 along with Cinnamon 2.6 has made a lasting impression on me! The Debian base is known for stability and not being released until the developers are satisfied that all the bugs that can be fixed are fixed. LMDE 2 has been the most problem free distro I have ever ran on my desktop!

I like the direction Mint has taken!

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:13 am

Distro-Don wrote:LMDE-2 MATE is my favorite edition of Linux. In fact, it is by far my favorite of any other...
+1
Well, I have MATE mostly because early versions of Cinnamon were rather heavy and buggy, but now seems that this DE has become lighter and more stable. MATE is good and nice too, excellent for a productive environment. I miss Xfce, however.
As about LMDE vs main-Mint the only thing I miss are PPAs. Is too convenient to have these extra repos for apps and programs, for example a PPA for the last version of LibreOffice.
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

kiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kiwi » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:53 am

+1

I've run a lot of distros but kept coming back to Mint standard edition for my working environment. Just a little uncomfortable with the Ubuntu heritage so with Cinnamon 2.6 I decided to switch to LMDE.

An excellent experience so far. Even the switch to Nvidia drivers went smoothly. All monitors bright and shiny.

A big thanks to Clem and all contributors.
Linux Mint 18 x64 Zsh Python -- shutdown scripts using systemd

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:05 am

Exploder wrote:
I used to think the traditional desktop's days were numbered, Cinnamon has completely changed my thinking though. The traditional desktop just needed more creative and innovative thinking and that is what I see happening with Cinnamon today. The idea of Mint releases staying with a stable long term support base makes so much sense in so many ways too! LMDE 2 along with Cinnamon 2.6 has made a lasting impression on me! The Debian base is known for stability and not being released until the developers are satisfied that all the bugs that can be fixed are fixed. LMDE 2 has been the most problem free distro I have ever ran on my desktop!
I couldn't agree more, funny how even Windows in there next version 10 are returning to a more traditional style desktop, after all the negative feedback they received from Windows 8. ( I still think Cinnamon is better. ) Also, long term I think Debian stable is the way to go. I even read the new Project Leader from Debian is considering adding PPA's to Debian, that would make allot of people happy.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”