Updating Adobe Flash Player (how to install)

Questions about other topics & discussing non-support related topics related to LMDE 2.
tlcmd
Level 4
Level 4

Updating Adobe Flash Player (how to install)

Post by tlcmd » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:12 pm

I'm still a newbie here and really would appreciate someone walking me through the updating of the Adobie Flash player from selecting the install for the 64 bit LMDE2(Betsy) through the actual installation of whichever is the appropriate one including the extract and open files order and where to put it in my files.
Thank you very much.
tlcmd

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Updating Adobe Flash Player (how to install)

Post by exploder » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:28 pm

LMDE 2 comes with Flash already installed and receives updates. Unfortunately, the version of Flash for Linux is old and only receives security updates. Adobe no longer supports Linux... If you want the latest version of Flash your only option is to install Google Chrome. Chrome comes with Pepper Flash and it's current! Google Chrome. Chrome adds a ppa repo that is compatible with Debian and they provide regular stable updates.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:04 pm

You can have the latest version of flash, but it's going to take a little work:

http://www.webupd8.org/2015/04/fresh-pl ... -with.html

https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplayerplugin

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:45 pm

Just what I did that worked for me... And this may not be the best option since i have been out of the Mint loop for a while since I have been in pure Debian-land for a few years... Currently, I am experimenting with LMDE2 with MATE. So, I did this:

Open Synaptic Package Manager. Then click on SEARCH. Key in 'flashplugin-nonfree" and choose the option to install. Once you do this, you no longer get the message. However, I was getting this same message in Debian 8 (Jessie), so I was having to update (reinstall) my flash player every few days.

Note: This may or may not be the best option for the future, so if anyone who is more current with the LMDE info would chime in, I would appreciate it. I absolutely do not mind being corrected. :-)
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

mramish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mramish » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:43 am

Well the mint package (mint-flashplugin) for adobe-flash is not pointing to the current flash. Installing flashplugin-nonfree pulls in the newest flash directly from adobe. So the above mentioned solution is valid and should provide you with a current flash plug in as long as debian is updating this package in time.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:55 pm

I think once Firefox 39 hits the repo's that will solve this for most, it has an updated flash. It already is in the Main version of Mint. Updating it from the Adobe web site is a real pain. So my advice is to wait a bit.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:16 am

Just to update my last post, all flash is now blocked by FF. Even the 481 series in FF 39. I have since disabled both mine and my wife's, and think I will leave them that way, Even though I read this morning that Adobe has patched Flash. Boy, what a mess.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”