LMDE 2 ISO Image

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
woodsman

LMDE 2 ISO Image

Post by woodsman »

Are there plans to update the Betsy ISO image, similar to updating the 17.x ISO images? The number of package updates is getting long.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
woodsman

Re: LMDE 2 ISO Image

Post by woodsman »

I am beginning to wonder whether LMDE is a dead project. Any hopes for an updated ISO image?
elvisn

Post by elvisn »

woodsman wrote:I am beginning to wonder whether LMDE is a dead project. Any hopes for an updated ISO image?
Sadly,

+1

LMDE is awesome...but the iso is old. I just hope that they don't neglect it. I also wish that LMDE was on the homepage, so that more users might find it and use it, along with the regular Linux Mint flavors.
Fragezeichen

Post by Fragezeichen »

I wonder why LMDE 2 is so rarely used.. to me it seems a lot better than the regular Mint.. I mean it's much faster, more stable/reliable and isn't involved with this questionable company Canonical...
bigbenaugust

Post by bigbenaugust »

That is indeed sad. I used LMDE1 for a while, which was a gateway to #!, and then straight Debian, then Arch... tried openSUSE and then realized I was very happy with LMDE in the first place and have a machine with LMDE2 again.

You get all of the Debian under the hood and all of the slick on the outside, and as stated, no Canonical business.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

woodsman wrote:Are there plans to update the Betsy ISO image, similar to updating the 17.x ISO images? The number of package updates is getting long.
I asked Clem about this a few months ago and he said that indeed there would be updates to the iso image. I'm not sure if it would be changed to LMDE 2.1, etc, or if the date code (right now it's lmde-2-201503) would simply be changed to reflect the update. Actually, I believe I heard somewhere that there would be no point releases, so likely the date code will be the only thing changed.
I'm really unsure about this whole "LMDE iso is old" idea. We're talking about Betsy, right? I don't have more than 15 minutes of updates myself. Now, of course, LMDE 1 is pretty old, but it's about to reach EOL anyway.

About LMDE being dead--I wouldn't say that. :) There are still plenty of users--exploder and Monsta, for example, plus less-experienced chaps like myself.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

I'm really unsure about this whole "LMDE iso is old" idea. We're talking about Betsy, right?
I never wrote anything about being old. :) I asked about updating the ISO.
I don't have more than 15 minutes of updates myself.
I live in an area with slow connection speeds.
About LMDE being dead--I wouldn't say that.
I did not declare that LMDE is dead. I wrote "I am beginning to wonder whether LMDE is a dead project." :) Originally the announcement was LMDE was going to be at the forefront of development, somewhat of a test bed for the Mint project. I have not seen anything like that.

The LMDE forum threads indicate a lot of people have problems with the stock kernel, mostly video related issues. Replacing with the Liquorix kernel is not a palatable option for non technical users and throws users outside the loop of official support. Then there are little things such as the "/init: 401: /init: touch; not found" boot message, that seems harmless is but yet remains (unprofessionally) unfixed. While not specifically addressed, the original announcments hinted at more activity with user space apps than the stock Debian, such as keeping LibreOffice updated.

As LMDE is now based on Stable, the LMDE ISO should be updated in a timely manner after every official Debian point release update. Jessie is now at 8.2. Whether an updated ISO image is released as a date or number is not important. Pick a naming convention then keep the ISO images updated.

The reason I chose LMDE is being based on Debian. Should the LMDE project die, falling back to Debian is doable and for me, more palatable than falling back to Ubuntu.

Provide some indication that LMDE is supported and alive. Updating the ISO images would be a nominal indication of life.
LMDE 1 is pretty old, but it's about to reach EOL anyway.
I am still miffed by the way the devs handled updating LMDE 1 to LMDE 2. Mint is not alone in this category. Distro maintainers need to support GUI updates if they hope to expand Linux usability beyond the geeks of the world. :) The Microsoft folks updated millions of people to Win 10 and outside expected edge cases, flawlessly. :(
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

@woodsman: I didn't mean that you said it was old. elvism said it, not you. Personally, a 7-month old iso is not old, IMHO.
On the other hand, you wrote that you were beginning to wonder if LMDE was dead.
We are kind of a test bed. I had Cinnamon 2,6 (not romeo) about a month before Mint 17,2 (the mint released with Cinnamon 2,6) came out. I suspect the same will be true for Cinnamon 2,8.

Installing the Liquorix kernel is only necessary for those of us who have Intel graphics--certainly not every user--and is simple. I've got a tutorial here, in fact, that would take less than 5 minutes to complete. It does not throw us outside the loop of official support--why do you think this? I've chatted with Clem a good deal back when Betsy first came out, and he knew that I was using the Liquorix kernel, and never had a problem with that.
I've never seen the boot message you mentioned, but the devs made it clear that LMDE was not for inexperienced users and was more prone to breakage than the main Mint. Though Betsy is a huge improvement in this regard than LMDE 1, it's still a "fringe" Mint and users should expect the occasional bug.

As far as releasing an updated iso--remember that Mint is still a small project! The devs simply don't have time to update the iso every time Debian does. As I mentioned earlier, I know Clem has plans for releasing updated iso's, I just don't know on what schedule.
woodsman wrote:Pick a naming convention
I thought we had a naming convention? "Betsy." Then LMDE 3 will probably get a "C" name, etc.
woodsman wrote:Provide some indication that LMDE is supported and alive.
The fact that you're writing this on the Betsy support forum should indicate that Betsy is supported. As far as life goes--I'm still getting updates, and I've had no suspicion that Betsy is dying.

Perhaps you're confusing attention and userbase with life? "Ordinary" Mint has far more users, so the devs necessarily spend more energy on it than on LMDE. Why do you ask for indication that LMDE is still alive?

I take it that you're not following the Windows 10 upgrade path information too closely? I've seen plenty of info about trouble updating from 7 or 8 to 10. Anyhow, copying and pasting commands in terminal is not difficult for even the most inexperienced users (who shouldn't be on LMDE in the first place.)
Isn't the Mint 17 series the first to even offer GUI upgrades? What this indicates is that this is a new Mint feature. LMDE 1, being older than Mint 17, wouldn't have had that option.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Fred Barclay wrote: About LMDE being dead--I wouldn't say that. :) There are still plenty of users
Agreed!
Fred Barclay wrote:plus less-experienced chaps like myself.
With all your problems, you're starting to gain a lot of experience :wink:
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Fragezeichen wrote:I wonder why LMDE 2 is so rarely used.. to me it seems a lot better than the regular Mint.. I mean it's much faster, more stable/reliable and isn't involved with this questionable company Canonical...
For me is mostly because the lack of PPAs. Is so useful to have PPAs to keep updated LibreOffice and other basic programs, and to have easy access to some useful projects. Having said this, I use LMDE2 in my main computer :lol: But I install LM 17 on everything else. :roll:
Last edited by xfrank on Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Sorry, KDB. I totally forgot to include you in the list of users. :D
killer de bug wrote: With all your problems...
Wait...what?!?!! :lol:
- Albert Einstein
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

xfrank wrote:
Fragezeichen wrote:I wonder why LMDE 2 is so rarely used.. to me it seems a lot better than the regular Mint.. I mean it's much faster, more stable/reliable and isn't involved with this questionable company Canonical...
For me is mostly because the lack of PPAs. Is so useful to have PPAs to keep updated LibreOffice and other basic programs, and to have easy access to some useful projects. Having said this, I use LMDE2 in my main computer :lol: But I install LMDE 17 on everything else. :roll:

I've heard it said on the Debian forums, that the new Project Leader is considering the use of PPA's on Debian, this will prove to be interesting. Also, there are plenty of LMDE users, and I too hope it one day becomes the (Main) Mint. :mrgreen:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the main problem with LMDE2 is the same as with PCLOS:
an outdated ISO will require lots of updates,
- which will have a high chance of something breaking. ..

and - so it did - with both of 'em
:o

a rolling release is a good thing - but only if you continually update it,
like monthly, via it's update manager.

but - if you have to install ( or in my case - re-install ) then that ISO that you burnt,
a few months back, could indeed be problematic.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Zill

Post by Zill »

Pierre wrote:...a rolling release is a good thing - but only if you continually update it,

but - if you have to install ( or in my case - re-install ) then that ISO that you burnt,
Err... what "rolling release"?

LMDE2 will not change significantly for the next couple of years as it is now firmly based on Debian stable. Just a few security updates and occasional Firefox/Thunderbird updates so not many really.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Debian stable is not rolling. And as Zill said, the total number of updates between the ISO and now is really low. It was mainly Cinnamon.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Zill wrote:
Pierre wrote:...a rolling release is a good thing - but only if you continually update it,

Err... what "rolling release"?

LMDE2 will not change significantly for the next couple of years as it is now firmly based on Debian stable. Just a few security updates and occasional Firefox/Thunderbird updates so not many really.

I agree Zill, but I would add we shall see Cinnamon, Mate, and Mint tool updates as the Dev's now have more time to focus on them.
snowdust

Post by snowdust »

An updated ISO image of Betsy would be greatly appreciated. I recently installed Betsy on a friend's box and the updates were huge. Keep in mind that Betsy was launched almost a year ago and lots of changes occurred since then. So this is my request to Clem: kindly issue an updated ISO image of Betsy. Thanks and wishing the dev team a productive and satisfying 2016.

Return to “LMDE Archive”