[SOLVED} What's in store for LMDE 3, sysvinit or systemd

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED} What's in store for LMDE 3, sysvinit or systemd

Post by mzsade »

With Debian Stretch just around the corner (summer of 2016 doesn't seem too far off), isn't it time the Mint team was forthcoming about it's plans in this regard? I have already switched to systemd and my concern is whether i'll have to revert to sysvinit for a smooth upgrade.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
killer de bug

Re: What's in store for LMDE 3, sysvinit or systemd

Post by killer de bug »

I don't think Stretch will be released in summer 2016. The freeze is planned for the end of the year. So release will be 2017.
It should be systemd being used.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi mzsade,
I have already switched to systemd ...
I also made the switch and it was quite painless. I expect that should LMDE 3 come with sysvint it will also be just as painless to switch to systemd.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

The upgrade path won't be so painless if before upgrading one is on systemd and the default for LMDE 3 happens to be sysv. However, as killer de bug says, this is probably something we wouldn't have to worry about anytime soon. Although another reason for asking is i'm just dying to know if the Mint team has picked a winner yet between the two. :)
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Clem has stated that he wanted to give systemd time to mature, it is my opinion, you will see systemd in Linux Mint 18, and LMDE 3

Also, you can run LMDE 2 with systemd now, at the grub boot pick advanced options, then chose load LMDE w/ systemd.
bigbenaugust

Post by bigbenaugust »

They could throw a curve and go to OpenRC... ;)
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

My boorishness notwithstanding; why is everybody trying to obfuscate what's being asked, because it reflects on the sysv v/s systemd debate for Linux Mint users to the extent that what Mint has decided on for itself for the future on what's best for it and on what basis was the choice made.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

mzsade wrote:My boorishness notwithstanding; why is everybody trying to obfuscate what's being asked, because it reflects on the sysv v/s systemd debate for Linux Mint users to the extent that what Mint has decided on for itself for the future on what's best for it and on what basis was the choice made.
I have addressed your question in the first reply of this topic.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

killer de bug wrote: I have addressed your question in the first reply of this topic.
Partly, stopping at the basis on which the choice was made..and if i may presume to go so far, noncommittally. :P
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

We follow Debian. Debian has systemd. LMDE will have systemd.
LM18 will be based on systemd.

LMDE2 and LM17 have kept the old init system to give time to systemd to mature. Now LM will move to it.
There would need a huge problem to force Mint to keep the old init system.
kajukenbo

Re: [SOLVED} What's in store for LMDE 3, sysvinit or systemd

Post by kajukenbo »

Any news on LMDE 3?

There have been no updates to the LMDE 2 image and updating a bunch of new installs with over 500MB of downloads is a pain.
Even a method to update the install image with new packages would be appreciated.

Thanks!
kajukenbo

Post by kajukenbo »

New ISO images for LMDE 2 “Betsy” – BETA Release: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3212

Thank you
ciaobello

Post by ciaobello »

I lately tried to change my startup default to systemd on betsy.
There is a sub menu entry where i can select it. Unfortunately selecting systemd as subentry takes the duble of time to auto-start.

I tried to find out where i could propose to change on LMDE3 the menu entry on Grub Level (puting both sysvinit & systemd on first menu level).
I made the proposal here now. But i believe that developers in first place like such requests on repositorys like github etc.

If you as Developer have the knowledge where to report such changes please let me know in my other request i made:
viewtopic.php?f=242&t=249458

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”