<SOLVED>Why am I connecting to static.twtelecom.net?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

<SOLVED>Why am I connecting to static.twtelecom.net?

Post by Fred Barclay »

This occurs usually (I won't say always) upon first logging in. Conky shows that I have 3 outbound connections to static.twtelecom.net.

I'm not really sure who or what they are. A quick startpage search seemed to indicate that they possibly are an ip address resolver--which should not be connecting to my machine!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Why am I connecting to static.twtelecom.net?

Post by kevinthefixer »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... mc&cad=rja

They seem to be an IT company with a strong security bias. No clue why you are connecting to them or vice-versa.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Hmm... weird.
I reinstalled Betsy just the other day (I wanted to change some configs like adding /home partition) and went a few hours without this connection showing up. It's back again, though.

I did capture two sets of packets with wireshark. I'm going to try to analyse them but if anyone else wouldn't mind checking 'em as well I'd appreciate it!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

browser plugin checking for updates?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I'm going to feel both stupid and relieved if that's what it is...
but would it be running constantly even when no browsers are up? That's pretty much what I see.

Sometimes the connection to twtelecom goes down, but it's always up soon. So far I haven't been able to figure out the trigger for the connection.

Lemme remove all my extensions and recheck. Tell ya what, I'll just backup my browser profiles, reboot, and see what happens.
Back soon!
- Albert Einstein
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

If you can get the pid or port of that connection, try lsof on it using

Code: Select all

lsof -p <pid> | less
or

Code: Select all

lsof -i :<port>
to "see" what's holding that connection open.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

The port varies per connection (usually conky reports 2 or 3 open) and usually doesn't even show up in conky.
However, I might have figured it out! I added a weather applet to my panel (I'm on MATE). After changing the browser config files had no effect, I removed the weather applet. 10 seconds later the connections to twtelecom closed. I added it back, the connections opened; removed it, and they closed.

I'm going to check for a bit and if they stay closed I'll mark this as solved.

Thanks kevin and Habitual!
- Albert Einstein
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

There you go!

Ignore my email then. :)

Good job and well done.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Habitual wrote: Ignore my email then. :)
Who says I pay attention to your emails in the first place? :twisted: :lol:

Seriously--thanks! You know me and my unreasonable, illogical, yet debilitating tendency to think everything is a rootkit. ;) I've been a tad worried recently.
Looks like I won't have to revoke all my GPG keys after all.

It is a little weird that a weather applet would connect to an old security firm. :?
- Albert Einstein
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Fred Barclay wrote:It is a little weird that a weather applet would connect to an old security firm. :?
Security Firm? twtelecom.net is a pretty good sized (ISP) outfit.

"Security" may have been part of the former rDNS label on 64-129-104-173.static.twtelecom.net
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Okay, scratch it being weird. I thought the page kevin linked said something to that effect, but I'm in the bowels of a huge building right now and the internet connection is horrible--I can't reread the page.

You know how it is:
No internet. :(
Slow internet. :twisted:
- Albert Einstein

Return to “LMDE Archive”