Cinnamon 3.0.1 lands in LMDE2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Crewp

Cinnamon 3.0.1 lands in LMDE2

Post by Crewp »

Just got the upgrade for Cinnamon, and it is running flawlessly. So far it is very responsive, and smooth. What do all of you think?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Cinnamon 3.0.1 lands in LMDE2

Post by killer de bug »

I was going to compile it tonight after work. Clem was fast :mrgreen:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Those of us in exile to MATE want a screenshot! :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Code: Select all

KDB@KDB-laptop ~ $ inxi -S
System:    Host: KDB-laptop Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.1  Distro: LinuxMint 2 betsy 
Hope it's enough Fred? :mrgreen:
Penn

Post by Penn »

Only two new things I was looking forward to and one doesn't seem to be in 3.0. I thought it was supposed to have a vertical panel option but I don't see it. Once I can use vertical planets cairo-dock will be gone (nothing against cairo-dock, but cinnamon's panel does everything I use cairo for except vertical panels/docks so why use an added app).

At least some of the text that was app set is now theme set for those of us using dark colors.

Any word on when or if the new themes will be available/usable?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Penn wrote:I thought it was supposed to have a vertical panel option but I don't see it.
I'm pretty sure Clem has said that it was not in the plan of the team. Therefore I would not expect this feature to land in Linux Mint in the next months.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3017 wrote:It’s still too early to talk about some of the big things we’re working on (vertical panels and multiple backgrounds in Cinnamon...
What I read was that vertical panels were being worked on. ;)
At any rate, there's been a pull request on the Cinnamon GitHub page for vertical panels for a bit now, so the coding (at least in rough form) is definitely doable.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Fred Barclay wrote:
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3017 wrote:It’s still too early to talk about some of the big things we’re working on (vertical panels and multiple backgrounds in Cinnamon...
What I read was that vertical panels were being worked on. ;)
At any rate, there's been a pull request on the Cinnamon GitHub page for vertical panels for a bit now, so the coding (at least in rough form) is definitely doable.
Hum interesting. I had still this idea into my mind that Clem said it was not something the team wanted to work on. It's a challenge and it's not the way the team sees the usage of a panel.

I was obviously wrong. :mrgreen:

This said, it doesn't seem to work at the moment. :?

I have the impression that "multiple backgrounds" is not working either. :mrgreen:
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The last thing I am aware of is, that Cinnamon 3.0 will not get vertical panels, Cinnamon 3.2 very likely will. (Link)
Penn

Post by Penn »

Cosmo. wrote:The last thing I am aware of is, that Cinnamon 3.0 will not get vertical panels, Cinnamon 3.2 very likely will. (Link)
I even read that some time ago but forgot. Oh well. I guess it's too soon to ask if 3.2 will come to LMDE since we don't know just how different 18.1 is going to be from Debian base.

I did read the segfault post about 3.0 after my initial question so I see it will have better support for GTK 3.2 so I would have to assume the new themes already work in LMDE2? If so where can I get them?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Without speaking for the Mint team, I can pretty confidently say that Cinnamon 3.2 will be available for Betsy. We got Cinnamon 2.6 before Rafaela and 2.8 before Rosa, 3.0 before Sarah... we'll get 3.2 and get it before anyone else! :lol:

I don't believe the new theme (Mint-Y if I remember correctly is the proper name) has been released yet, but you could probably download the source from GitHub and compile it. Arc-theme works great on LMDE Cinnamon and MATE (I'm using it) so I've no doubt that Mint-Y will be superb!
Or if you just want to try Arc-theme for the time being and wait for Mint-Y to be released: https://github.com/horst3180/Arc-theme
(Don't panic--it is a GitHub repo but you don't have to compile from source, just install a .deb or add an additional repo.)
- Albert Einstein

Return to “LMDE Archive”