Firejail is now available in jessie-backports!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Firejail is now available in jessie-backports!

Post by mike acker »

I've tried running Firefox in the Firejail now a couple times,---- my initial observation is that I've got a bit of homework ahead of me, particularly in learning to configure the Firejail/Profile -- to permit what I want -- and only that;

I may comment on this down the trail as I learn enough to be helpful,--

in the meantime I was reading this on HelpNetSecurity:
Clear and present danger: Combating the email threat landscape

Excerpt
It’s no wonder then, that email represents a major security threat vector. Because, as long as organisations use email to send and receive files, malicious email attachments will continue to plague corporate inboxes. Cyber criminals have consistently proved adept at exploiting the ‘click first, think second’ behaviours of email-users, which have the potential to open the door to malware, or unintentionally expose the business to data loss.
I found it interesting to consider the possibilities for Firejail while thinking about this article; as we have all noticed -- just stopping a bad document in the e/mail in-box isn't enough if the document is then copied or forwarded for additional use,--
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

WORRYSOME

I was playing with the LOGON screen for PHPOTOBUCKET -- in Firefox recently and, when I clicked in the box their program immediately offered me a smorgasboard of characterstrings -- which are stored in the user profile of Firefox

these data would obviously be available to a rogue script-- if one were running
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

WEBASSEMBLY

Reference

Excerpt
Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla on Monday announced preview versions of WebAssembly, a low-level safe binary format designed to allow C/C++ code to run in web browsers.

Once WebAssembly, or wasm, matures and appears in browsers, it will allow developers to create native applications, and web applications with native code libraries, that run in browsers to deliver computationally complex content like streaming video, video editing, games, and virtual reality at high frame rates.
methinks we all best be working on our FIREJAIL profiles. the proponents here apparently want to run whatever they like in everybody's browser. would the proponents of this be willing to accept responsibility for the risks that may be involved?

I think we should look at security from an economic standpoint and authentications from an administrative standpoint. i say this as IMHO the necessary technology is available although as usual the biggest obstacle to progress originates from various elements that like things the way they are and oppose improvements that would benefit customers .

Appointments on hold as (computer) virus wreaks havoc with NHS trust systems
Major medical issues diverted to neighbouring hospitals

when is "enough" "enough" ?
¡Viva la Resistencia!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

As this thread has been taken farther and farther from its original purpose I will lock it. Please help the forum to stay readable by respecting the original thread subjects.

Return to “LMDE Archive”