<SOLVED>Has anyone built Xed from source?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

<SOLVED>Has anyone built Xed from source?

Post by Fred Barclay »

If so, I'm having a tad of trouble myself. I've opened an Issue on the GitHub page, but that doesn't seem to get too much traffic so I thought it might be worthwhile to ask here.
After running ./autogen.sh (and installing a bunch of dependencies) I get the following message when running "make":

Code: Select all

fred@aussie ~/Downloads/xed-master $ sudo make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
I'm not so great at building from source yet but I can see that there are two Makefiles generated by autogen.sh: Makefile.am and Makefile.in. I don't know if that's what make is fussing about?

Thanks!
Fred

EDIT: this is what ./autogen.sh says:
https://gist.github.com/Fred-Barclay/3d ... 522b7cfea8
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Penn

Re: Has anyone built Xed from source?

Post by Penn »

I may not be the best person to respond to this because I have only compiled from source twice. However I do know when an error messsage says anything to indicate "no target found" it usually means you have to put something at the end of the line. Such as I do recall each time I built from source that final command was

sudo make install
As for the two files named "makefile" I think both are supposed to be there.

As I said, I may not be the best to answer but if I am missing something, then I have an opportunity to learn something.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thanks. :) That would be the final command, but according the the directions there should be a "make" first.
https://github.com/linuxmint/xed (Sorry, should have posted this the first time).

So

./autogen.sh
make
make install
I did try "make install" just in case and it too fails:

fred@aussie ~/Downloads/xed-master $ make install
make: *** No rule to make target 'install'.  Stop.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Easiest way on LMDE. Clone or download the source from git. cd into the directory once you have it downloaded. Run

apt build-dep xed
This should install the needed dependencies. Then run

dpkg-buildpackage
If all the dependencies were installed this will generate the needed debs. If not just install whatever it complains you are missing.
Now just use sudo dpkg -i to install the debs you generated.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I used the method from JospephM, and everything worked perfectly. It was a while back. :)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: <SOLVED>Has anyone built Xed from source?

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thanks JosephM. That worked perfectly. :)
- Albert Einstein

Return to “LMDE Archive”