So how far off is LMDE 3?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
f2x
Level 1
Level 1

So how far off is LMDE 3?

Post by f2x »

It's been six years since Linux Mint Debian Edition was released in September of 2010. After 4 years and 8 months, the original LMDE was finally superseded by Betsy in the spring of 2015. it did not disappoint. Now after nearly a year and a half of amazingly smooth operation, I have to wonder, "How long until LMDE 3?" Mind you, I'm in no rush! It's just that I've heard a few whispers in the wind. I'm curious to know if anyone in authority has even had a tentative time frame, or is the date so far out (>1½ years) that no one can possibly take a wild guess?

Also, since the main releases increment alphabetically and end in an "a" sound, I'm guessing that future LMDE releases will follow the pattern established by Betty. So will it be Chloe, Courtney, Casey, Chastity, Cindy, Carrie, Cassidy, Carly, Cassie, Connie, Cathy, Cherry, Cecily, Caitie, Cali, Calliope, Cambrie, Chrissy, Christi, Coralie, or perhaps Cundrie? Did I leave any out? Vote now on your phones!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I made an autoblog called mBlip. Something new every day! http://www.mblip.com
richyrich

Re: So how far off is LMDE 3?

Post by richyrich »

When is the next stable Debian release due ?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Debian 9 will start its freezing period next year in February.
Therefore a stable release of Debian 9 should not happen before Summer 2017. Thus LMDE 3 will not appear before next fall in 2017. :lol:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

killer de bug wrote: Therefore a stable release of Debian 9 should not happen before Summer 2017. Thus LMDE 3 will not appear before next fall in 2017. :lol:
Are you sure? Betsy was released before Jessie was released as stable. :)

But yeah, LMDE 3 is a while away.
(I'm not sure what I'll do then - this machine can't run the current Debian Testing because my graphics card really hates kernels newer than 3.16. :( If Betsy isn't supported as long as Jessie will be then I might have to move to Debian.)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Fred Barclay wrote:Are you sure? Betsy was released before Jessie was released as stable. :)
Ok ok.
There was 15 days in between the 2 releases. :lol:
Betsy April 10th http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2808
Jessie April 25th https://www.debian.org/News/2015/20150426
Fred Barclay wrote: (I'm not sure what I'll do then - this machine can't run the current Debian Testing because my graphics card really hates kernels newer than 3.16.
You can keep your old kernel and upgrade everything else.
Fred Barclay wrote:If Betsy isn't supported as long as Jessie will be then I might have to move to Debian
Betsy relies on Debian Jessie. So Betsy will for sure live as long as Jessie. But Cinnamon, Nemo... may not receive any updates anymore after LMDE 3 is released.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

killer de bug wrote:
Fred Barclay wrote: (I'm not sure what I'll do then - this machine can't run the current Debian Testing because my graphics card really hates kernels newer than 3.16.
You can keep your old kernel and upgrade everything else.
Cool idea! But won't a dist-upgrade (which I'm assuming will be necessary to upgrade to Chloe/Cassidy/whatever-LMDE-3-will-be) automatically upgrade the kernel?
What sort of sorcery might be involved to keep the kernel at the current version? :P

Besides, wasn't 3.16 already EOL'ed by the kernel devs, which means that it's the Debian devs who are keeping it alive? Since they'll drop it for Debian 9, how would I get kernel security updates? :?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

1) You can lock the kernel package during the dist-upgrade if you need a dist-upgrade.
2) I suppose the kernel will be supported until Jessie reaches end of life, which will be up to 3 years after Stretch is out if it enters the extended life support.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Very good point, kdb, and I suppose I can always just apt-pin jessie's repos so that I'll get updates for the kernel but not anything else.
Still, I expect a breakage sooner or later.

Who knows? Maybe by then I'll have a newer machine and won't have to worry about this one (except as a server, or a NASbox, or something else fun!).
- Albert Einstein
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Fred, why not simply upgrade your graphics card? I know they're getting a bit pricey, but it's still cheaper than a new system.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

kevinthefixer wrote:Fred, why not simply upgrade your graphics card? I know they're getting a bit pricey, but it's still cheaper than a new system.
Well, it's an old laptop with a (slow and prone to overheating) AMD CPU, so I'd really like to get a more modern machine if possible. :)
- Albert Einstein
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

kdb option sounds good fred, to keep the old laptop running a few more years, if 3.16 is working good, stay with it.
kajukenbo

Post by kajukenbo »

New ISO images for LMDE 2 “Betsy” – BETA Release: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3212
cybermarmotte
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE3 ?!

Post by cybermarmotte »

Hye everybody,
Debian Stretch should be released soon (mid-june in the last debian newsletter). Is there any project of an LMDE3?!

Thanks
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LMDE3 ?!

Post by mike acker »

cybermarmotte wrote:Hye everybody,
Debian Stretch should be released soon (mid-june in the last debian newsletter). Is there any project of an LMDE3?!

Thanks
i did download a straight Debian install -- and installed it. If I recall during the install it offered an assortment of desktop GUI's to choose from; I just took the default. I've not worked much with it but it seems to be a perfectly usable system --

Getting Debian

During the install my wireless card was not supported; i had to use an RJ45 hookup to load it.

My Experience: my "research box" had also an LMDE/2 systyem and a KDE/18 system. After testing the Debian distro I had to reload the LMDE/2 O/S. whether this was caused by the Debian Distro I can't say: I have not attempted to reproduce the problem. I was hoping for online comments -- but as of now the question remains.

it's my understanding the straight Debian system lacks "non free software" that may be included with LMDE/2, -- i.e. Straight Debian is a FOSS Purist. This might result in the user needing to dig around for drivers or other updates,--
¡Viva la Resistencia!
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

mike acker wrote:[...]
it's my understanding the straight Debian system lacks "non free software" that may be included with LMDE/2, -- i.e. Straight Debian is a FOSS Purist. This might result in the user needing to dig around for drivers or other updates,--
These are what you want... firmware and drivers etc is included in the isos. Go up a few directories for other builds.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Why do all the distros say 'Nonfree' :?:
Penn

Post by Penn »

Mike and Chris - If a person is trying to get an idea of what to expect from LMDE 3 perhaps the current release candidate (RC4) for Debian Stretch (9) would be more useful. https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/stretch_di_rc4/ I teste RC 2 and it worked fine with all my hardware (after installing some non-free stuff).

Pepi - The non-free isos include drivers and file formats that are proprietary. Such as MP3 is actually owned by someone (not for much longer, if I am correct) so "officially" distros frequently stay away from including the codecs as a standard install but make them easily available since they know it is unreasonable to hope people will use a distro that is too limited. Same with some hardware and their drivers. Those are unofficial versions of Debian that just include all the proprietary stuff.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

See here for an ETA: viewtopic.php?f=236&t=243958
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Penn, I've had Sparkylinux pointing to the Debian testing repos for a few weeks, so had a pretty good idea what stretch should be like, as it's been frozen for a while now. However, I've been playing with Solus and Opensuse Tumbleweed for a few weeks too, so it's all mixed up in my head ;)
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Whenever it is, I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Return to “LMDE Archive”