So how far off is LMDE 3?

Questions about other topics & discussing non-support related topics related to LMDE 2.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
f2x
Level 1
Level 1

So how far off is LMDE 3?

Postby f2x » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:53 pm

It's been six years since Linux Mint Debian Edition was released in September of 2010. After 4 years and 8 months, the original LMDE was finally superseded by Betsy in the spring of 2015. it did not disappoint. Now after nearly a year and a half of amazingly smooth operation, I have to wonder, "How long until LMDE 3?" Mind you, I'm in no rush! It's just that I've heard a few whispers in the wind. I'm curious to know if anyone in authority has even had a tentative time frame, or is the date so far out (>1½ years) that no one can possibly take a wild guess?

Also, since the main releases increment alphabetically and end in an "a" sound, I'm guessing that future LMDE releases will follow the pattern established by Betty. So will it be Chloe, Courtney, Casey, Chastity, Cindy, Carrie, Cassidy, Carly, Cassie, Connie, Cathy, Cherry, Cecily, Caitie, Cali, Calliope, Cambrie, Chrissy, Christi, Coralie, or perhaps Cundrie? Did I leave any out? Vote now on your phones!
The coolest thing I'm currently working on is an autoblog called mBlip. Following over 70 educational channels on YouTube, new videos get added daily. Learn something new every day! http://www.mblip.com

richyrich
Level 18
Level 18

Re: So how far off is LMDE 3?

Postby richyrich » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:26 pm

When is the next stable Debian release due ?

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Postby killer de bug » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:40 am

Debian 9 will start its freezing period next year in February.
Therefore a stable release of Debian 9 should not happen before Summer 2017. Thus LMDE 3 will not appear before next fall in 2017. :lol:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Fred Barclay
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Fred Barclay » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:46 am

killer de bug wrote:Therefore a stable release of Debian 9 should not happen before Summer 2017. Thus LMDE 3 will not appear before next fall in 2017. :lol:

Are you sure? Betsy was released before Jessie was released as stable. :)

But yeah, LMDE 3 is a while away.
(I'm not sure what I'll do then - this machine can't run the current Debian Testing because my graphics card really hates kernels newer than 3.16. :( If Betsy isn't supported as long as Jessie will be then I might have to move to Debian.)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Postby killer de bug » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:56 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:Are you sure? Betsy was released before Jessie was released as stable. :)

Ok ok.
There was 15 days in between the 2 releases. :lol:
Betsy April 10th http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2808
Jessie April 25th https://www.debian.org/News/2015/20150426

Fred Barclay wrote:(I'm not sure what I'll do then - this machine can't run the current Debian Testing because my graphics card really hates kernels newer than 3.16.

You can keep your old kernel and upgrade everything else.

Fred Barclay wrote:If Betsy isn't supported as long as Jessie will be then I might have to move to Debian

Betsy relies on Debian Jessie. So Betsy will for sure live as long as Jessie. But Cinnamon, Nemo... may not receive any updates anymore after LMDE 3 is released.

Fred Barclay
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Fred Barclay » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:13 pm

killer de bug wrote:
Fred Barclay wrote:(I'm not sure what I'll do then - this machine can't run the current Debian Testing because my graphics card really hates kernels newer than 3.16.

You can keep your old kernel and upgrade everything else.

Cool idea! But won't a dist-upgrade (which I'm assuming will be necessary to upgrade to Chloe/Cassidy/whatever-LMDE-3-will-be) automatically upgrade the kernel?
What sort of sorcery might be involved to keep the kernel at the current version? :P

Besides, wasn't 3.16 already EOL'ed by the kernel devs, which means that it's the Debian devs who are keeping it alive? Since they'll drop it for Debian 9, how would I get kernel security updates? :?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Postby killer de bug » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:52 pm

1) You can lock the kernel package during the dist-upgrade if you need a dist-upgrade.
2) I suppose the kernel will be supported until Jessie reaches end of life, which will be up to 3 years after Stretch is out if it enters the extended life support.

Fred Barclay
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Fred Barclay » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Very good point, kdb, and I suppose I can always just apt-pin jessie's repos so that I'll get updates for the kernel but not anything else.
Still, I expect a breakage sooner or later.

Who knows? Maybe by then I'll have a newer machine and won't have to worry about this one (except as a server, or a NASbox, or something else fun!).
- Albert Einstein

kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kevinthefixer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:44 pm

Fred, why not simply upgrade your graphics card? I know they're getting a bit pricey, but it's still cheaper than a new system.

Fred Barclay
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Fred Barclay » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:50 pm

kevinthefixer wrote:Fred, why not simply upgrade your graphics card? I know they're getting a bit pricey, but it's still cheaper than a new system.

Well, it's an old laptop with a (slow and prone to overheating) AMD CPU, so I'd really like to get a more modern machine if possible. :)
- Albert Einstein

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Crewp » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:47 am

kdb option sounds good fred, to keep the old laptop running a few more years, if 3.16 is working good, stay with it.

kajukenbo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kajukenbo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:18 pm

New ISO images for LMDE 2 “Betsy” – BETA Release: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3212

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”