So how far off is LMDE 3?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
steveo314
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition 3

Post by steveo314 »

persistentpenguin wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:00 am Has anyone tried installing Debian 9 Stretch then adding the LMDE 3 Cindy repository?
I installed LMDE 2 and then:
-In the sources list:
--Replaced Jessie with Stretch
--Replaced Betsy with Cindy
-apt-get update
-apt-get dist-upgrade
--if you have anything fail over a package dependency:
---apt-get install -f
---apt-get dist-upgrade
-reboot

This will get you a more accurate LMDE than adding the Cindy repos to a Stretch install. Its a little involved but it worked for me on an 11 year old laptop.
debian or bust
steveo314
Level 2
Level 2

Re: The Future

Post by steveo314 »

Debian:
Its ready when its ready!

"ETA" isn't in the Debian vernacular.
debian or bust
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

People have a hard time staying on topic about LMDE in this topic. I can understand some feel the wait has been (too) long but, respectfully, if you must discuss other distros please do that in the Chat about Linux forum — not in the LMDE support forum.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Unless the devs discard all that they have done till now, if they have been working on lmde3 which i doubt, and begin afresh with the latest release of Debian, lmde3 will already be obsolete by then.. I've stopped holding my breath.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

All the work that went into Cinnamon, X-Apps and the Mint tools — among others getting them ready for new Gtk version — is also for LMDE 3. So perhaps LMDE 3 could have been done a month earlier if Linux Mint 19 wasn't done first. But doesn't that longer testing period for LMDE 3 fit well with the reason to prefer the Debian base?

Debian 9 will have long term support till mid 2022 so there's 4 years of support on the release.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Be nice to see a Beta LMDE3, so I could give it a tryout in a LMDE2 VM.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/ChangeLog
How many of these would be level 4 & 5 updates that users wouldn't risk, the new kernel update would be one I'm sure.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I see LMDE as sort of the "KDE Neon" of Cinnamon. Won't Cinnamon be updated more often in LMDE3 than Mint 19 over time?
I know people are understandably frustrated with the slow pace of LMDE, but I'm looking forward to testing LMDE3 when its beta is released.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

KBD47 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:17 pmWon't Cinnamon be updated more often in LMDE3 than Mint 19 over time?
Yes, new releases on Cinnamon, X-Apps and the Mint tools will be done in a rolling fashion on LMDE 3. So without having to upgrade to a new point release as with Linux Mint 19. Just as updates in Update Manager.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:36 am Yes, new releases on Cinnamon, X-Apps and the Mint tools will be done in a rolling fashion on LMDE 3. So without having to upgrade to a new point release as with Linux Mint 19. Just as updates in Update Manager.
Cool. That's what I thought. It might be worth installing LMDE for Cinnamon fans wanting to see the changes coming to Cinnamon more quickly.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

I venture that it's the latest in Debian lmde3 fans would be more interested in and if this topic is any indication there aren't too many "Cinnamon fans" among them. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Timeline for LMDE 3 was just announced. Expect public beta in about 4 weeks, around end of July.
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

persistentpenguin wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:00 am Has anyone tried installing Debian 9 Stretch then adding the LMDE 3 Cindy repository?
I have, too much work for the those who aren't dedicated enthusiasts. Seriously, if you're the click it and run type, don't even think of trying this unless you're willing to get down and dirty trying to clean up the fallout afterwards. That said, I started with a base Debian stable install and then added the mint repos afterwards for the bits and pieces I wanted.

Note: I use Debian stable repos only. When the next stable (Buster) switches over, I run apt-update as usual, fix any bugs, and clear out any cruft before switching to the newest Mint repos.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

A timeline implies that there are multiple targets for reaching ultimate LMDE3 - is this the case?
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

titetanium wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 am Note: I use Debian stable repos only. When the next stable (Buster) switches over, I run apt-update as usual, fix any bugs, and clear out any cruft before switching to the newest Mint repos.
Is there a recomended automatic cruft detector for LMDE1 upgraded to LMDE2 (hopefully upgraded to) LMDE3? :)
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

axisofevil wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:02 am
titetanium wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 am Note: I use Debian stable repos only. When the next stable (Buster) switches over, I run apt-update as usual, fix any bugs, and clear out any cruft before switching to the newest Mint repos.
Is there a recomended automatic cruft detector for LMDE1 upgraded to LMDE2 (hopefully upgraded to) LMDE3? :)
I don't know of any that's automatic. I do use two programs for that though. One is deborphan for removing old libraries the system doesn't use anymore. The other is cruft. Be very careful when using these two, as they can remove some much needed libraries/apps/programs you manually installed. They aren't automatic but you can review what they turn up and remove the unneeded libraries/apps/programs manually.

Hope that helps
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

axisofevil wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:58 am A timeline implies that there are multiple targets for reaching ultimate LMDE3 - is this the case?
from "the blog" posted today:
"Next on our list is LMDE 3 aka “Cindy”. We upgraded it with the latest Cinnamon and all the components which got into Linux Mint 19 already. We’re hoping to release it as BETA by the end of July."
so, there will be a Beta in about a month, then sometime after that the new LMDE3 would be published.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

When the final release is done depends on what bugs are found during beta testing and which of those would be blocking for a final release (small cosmetic bugs may not need to delay the final release). Usually beta testing is at least 2 weeks so barring any blocking bugs a final release is probably early to mid August. You'll be able to upgrade from LMDE 3 beta to final without reinstalling.

Not clear yet if there will be an automated upgrade from LMDE 2 to LMDE 3, as there is for Linux Mint 18.3 to 19. But clear instructions will be provided for upgrading LMDE 2 to 3.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Thanks. :D
frofrout

Post by frofrout »

Greetings! I've been planning on installing LMDE 3 when the stable edition is released sometime later this year.

So my questions are:
Does it support SecureBoot?
Does it support UEFI?

Thanks!

Return to “LMDE Archive”