Page 1 of 1

Some feedback on LMDE 2

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:45 pm
by jayotis_d
I liked this on first first boot live, installed and booted smooth. Great performance but a few things glared.

1) 191 updates, one conflict resulting in one broken package
2) autologin install option created key ring pop ups, needed to install seahorse to fix.
3) very bad screen tearing from default graphics(maybe driver option needed) attempts to install newer drivers(propriety and open) resulted in corrupted OS.
4) while based on debian updates packages seem to be tagged mint which is ubuntu so are debian tutorials useful?
5) Mirror select interface seems broken with speeds in the 32Kbs or less and most no response(I remember this being an issue in a previous mint release). Once I had all mirrors of main reporting out dated packages...

Some suggestions?
While it is great being based on debian(ubuntu is getting fundamentally flawed it seems) I don't think it would be wrong to take some things from mint like the 3rd party and hardware install functions.
An updated iso for install.

I will definitely get LMDE 3 and give it a trywhen it comes out, thanks for making this.

Re: Some feedback on LMDE 2

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:19 pm
by Crewp
Interesting observations, as far as #4 goes, LMDE is fully compatible with Debian. Just because it says Mint, does not mean you are getting Ubuntu packages.

Re: Some feedback on LMDE 2

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:42 pm
by killer de bug
My suggestion is to give more details.
Telling us that you had graphics issues is not helpful. Which graphics card?
The same for 'a corrupted update'. Which one ?

Re: Some feedback on LMDE 2

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:44 am
by millpond
Crewp wrote:Interesting observations, as far as #4 goes, LMDE is fully compatible with Debian. Just because it says Mint, does not mean you are getting Ubuntu packages.
To clarify:

While Ubuntu gets alot of stuff off of Debian, it will repackage them in their own format and too often call them .deb files.
By all rights they should put them in a different file format.

Its also has its PPA repository, mainly from its Bazaar git-clone. These should never be used with Debian as they were never derived from Debian. Though some of it will get released on independent sites as debs.

This is the crux of the difference between Mint and LMDE. Mint is based on the Ubuntu derived debs, and LMDE has its packages directly compatible with the classic Debian file system. The two are not compatible with each other, though there will always be some exceptions.

Re: Some feedback on LMDE 2

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:58 am
by killer de bug
millpond wrote: While Ubuntu gets alot of stuff off of Debian, it will repackage them in their own format and too often call them .deb files.
By all rights they should put them in a different file format.
:shock:

There are obviously a lot of things you don't understand here.

Re: Some feedback on LMDE 2

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:19 pm
by millpond
killer de bug wrote:
millpond wrote: While Ubuntu gets alot of stuff off of Debian, it will repackage them in their own format and too often call them .deb files.
By all rights they should put them in a different file format.
:shock:

There are obviously a lot of things you don't understand here.
Such as???

Re: Some feedback on LMDE 2

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:19 pm
by Fred Barclay
millpond wrote: While Ubuntu gets alot of stuff off of Debian, it will repackage them in their own format and too often call them .deb files.
By all rights they should put them in a different file format.
I don't follow. Ubuntu calls 'em .deb files because they are .deb files.
".deb" is a packaging standard used for making installable packages from source code, as opposed to requiring the end user to compile and install the source code himself. They're not proprietary to Debian.

To follow what you say to its logical conclusion, every Linux distro would have to have its own packaging format. :? Mint's would be different from Ubuntu's which would be different from Debian's. That wouldn't work out too well.

You're certainly right that Ubuntu is not binary compatible with Debian (though there are some exceptions). But Ubuntu/Mint doesn't claim to be compatible either. ;)

(In the same senses, LMDE is not perfectly identical to Debian.)

Re: Some feedback on LMDE 2

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:31 am
by daspicer
1. Those 191 updates are over an 18 month period, which is pretty good.
2. I don't do auto logins so no idea.
3. Sounds like you're using MATE. Install and use Compton.
4. LMDE = Linux Mint Debian Edition, which is obviously not Ubuntu.
5. No mirror problems here. I'm using US mirrors from the Philippines.