Any possibility of a LMDE 3 Beta release before Stretch?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Any possibility of a LMDE 3 Beta release before Stretch?

Post by mzsade »

I am assuming that the development of LMDE 3 runs parallel with the development of Stretch based on their daily builds and does not begin, nor is dependent entirely on the final release of Debian Stretch. If so is a Beta feasible? Just so users can try it on various hardware/VMs, get a taste of it, perhaps give feedback that may be of some use.. :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Any possibility of a LMDE 3 Beta release before Stretch?

Post by Fred Barclay »

We can hope so - after all, Betsy final was released when Jessie was still beta - but I think the only way you'll get an authoritative answer is to ask Clem or wait for a blog post. ;)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Thanks but no thanks, Fred. I wouldn't want to be the pesky insect who bugs the big guy right now, especially when things are so close to the finish. At best, he'll probably ignore me..and i would rather not risk getting banned from this forum. Why don't you do it for us, you being an old veteran and all.. :lol:
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
ciaobello

Post by ciaobello »

Is there a development release of LMDE3 somewhere to download?

Or at least a script/howto how to put together such a development release?

I find it pity that there is not even on github a LMDE repo where shows at least a bit what the differece is between the common and the LMDE version.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

mzsade wrote:Thanks but no thanks, Fred. I wouldn't want to be the pesky insect who bugs the big guy right now, especially when things are so close to the finish.
Good for you, Sir.

Clem actually commented in the last month or two in the comments section of a blog post. The answer was that there's no timescale yet and that as soon as there is there will be an announcement
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

ciaobello wrote:Is there a development release of LMDE3 somewhere to download?

Or at least a script/howto how to put together such a development release?

I find it pity that there is not even on github a LMDE repo where shows at least a bit what the differece is between the common and the LMDE version.
I'll tell ya where it is if you can tell me what problem your having with LMDE2 :mrgreen:
ciaobello

Post by ciaobello »

No serious problems ... just getting ahead and see how things work.
hd_scania

Post by hd_scania »

Buster is these days gone to the alpha 1 stage, and will LMDE 3 final be codebased on Buster after its final stabilization if it has been done by early 2018?
But also, Linux Mint alpha will need to be the best coming back to public with the next Debian testing codenamed Bullseye, but also always synced to the furthermore Debian testing? :)
Fred Barclay wrote:We can hope so - after all, Betsy final was released when Jessie was still beta - but I think the only way you'll get an authoritative answer is to ask Clem or wait for a blog post. ;)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

hd_scania wrote:Buster is these days gone to the alpha 1 stage, and will LMDE 3 final be codebased on Buster after its final stabilization if it has been done by early 2018?
No - unless Clem changes his mind, LMDE is and will remain based on Debian Stable. This means that LMDE 3 will always be based on Debian Stretch. You'll have to wait until LMDE 4 (if it exists) to use Debian Buster as the base.
But also, Linux Mint alpha will need to be the best coming back to public with the next Debian testing codenamed Bullseye, but also always synced to the furthermore Debian testing? :)
There is no Linux Mint alpha. ;)
The Mint team tried to base LMDE on Debian Testing a long time ago. If I remember correctly, keeping LMDE from breaking frequently took too much time.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “LMDE Archive”