VirtualBox Guest Additions

Questions about other topics & discussing non-support related topics related to LMDE 2.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Lewish
Level 1
Level 1

VirtualBox Guest Additions

Postby Lewish » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:34 pm

I cannot get VirtualBox Guest Additions to work. I get 2 error messages during the install. I have tried 3 different versions of VirtualBox and matching Guest Additions. I get the same error messages each time.

I tired to attach a screenshot, but the board reports the file is too large. It is less than 400 KB. ?????

OK, I will try to write out the error messages.

1st message: *** Error ins 'systemctl' : double free or corruption (fasttop) : 0x00007fda16f8e2a0 ****

2nd message: modprobe vboxguest failed

So, can anyone tell me what this means and how to fix it? Thanks for any and all help.

Lewis

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Re: VirtualBox Guest Additions

Postby Cosmo. » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:43 pm

What OS has the host?
What OS has the guest?

Lewish
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lewish » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Since this forum is for LMDE-2 only, wouldn't you expect that to be the answer to both of your questions?

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:30 pm

No. It can be a LMDE host with whichever host and whichever host with LMDE guest. I cannot see this.

Lewish
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lewish » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:15 pm

OK, I got lost in all of that somewhere.

It is an LMDE-2 host. It is a nothing guest yet because I can't get the stupid "Guest Additions" to work.

I had a similar problem under Mint 17.2, but finally got it to work. No ideas on this go round.

Hope that clears it up

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Lewish wrote:It is a nothing guest yet because I can't get the stupid "Guest Additions" to work.

Guest additions get installed inside of the guests, so I wonder what you are trying to do.
A shot in the dark: Do you possibly mix guest additions with the extension pack?

Which version of VB is installed? From which source (repositories or Oracle download)?

Lewish
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lewish » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:40 pm

I have tried versions 5.1, 5.0.30, & 5.0.28 from both Oracle download and from Debian download with matching guest additions.

I installed VB and in tried to install guest additions. get the same error messages any way I try it.

Something about "systemctl" seems to be broken.

Lewish
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lewish » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:18 pm

OK, I give up. I don't know what I did different on this last try, but Guest Additions finally installed.

Must be operator malfuntion.

mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mzsade » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:32 pm

This is what i do;

Install virtualbox-dkms and virtualbox-guest-additions on the HOST.
On the Guest, after starting it, from the Menu, go to Devices >> Insert Guest Additons CD Image
Reboot Guest
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

PattiM
Level 1
Level 1

Postby PattiM » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:06 pm

What I've noticed is that different distros behave differently as guests. Opensuse, LMDE-2, and Whonix guests both seem to work correctly (window behavior, resizing, shared folders) without mounting the Guest Additions virtual-ISO under the guest and running the Guest Additions installer (within the guest). OTOH: a Kanotix guest seemed to require the Guest Additions to be installed from within the guest. I was wondering if some (but not all) of the Virtualbox drivers were getting included with the later Linux kernels or some more-popular distros? (as ranked by distrowatch)

One thing I just noticed is that LMDE-2 USB-sharing doesn't detect my USB thumb drives - so I may have to install the Guest Additions after all to get that functionality.

Patricia

Pierre
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Pierre » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:25 pm

mzsade wrote:This is what i do;
On the Guest, after starting it, from the Menu, go to Devices >> Insert Guest Additons CD Image
Reboot Guest

+1.
once the guest is installed & working A.ok, or at least somewhat,
- then from the Menu, go to Devices >> Insert Guest Additons CD Image, apply / install
then reboot the guest system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”