VirtualBox Guest Additions

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Lewish
Level 1
Level 1

VirtualBox Guest Additions

Post by Lewish »

I cannot get VirtualBox Guest Additions to work. I get 2 error messages during the install. I have tried 3 different versions of VirtualBox and matching Guest Additions. I get the same error messages each time.

I tired to attach a screenshot, but the board reports the file is too large. It is less than 400 KB. ?????

OK, I will try to write out the error messages.

1st message: *** Error ins 'systemctl' : double free or corruption (fasttop) : 0x00007fda16f8e2a0 ****

2nd message: modprobe vboxguest failed

So, can anyone tell me what this means and how to fix it? Thanks for any and all help.

Lewis
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: VirtualBox Guest Additions

Post by Cosmo. »

What OS has the host?
What OS has the guest?
Lewish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lewish »

Since this forum is for LMDE-2 only, wouldn't you expect that to be the answer to both of your questions?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

No. It can be a LMDE host with whichever host and whichever host with LMDE guest. I cannot see this.
Lewish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lewish »

OK, I got lost in all of that somewhere.

It is an LMDE-2 host. It is a nothing guest yet because I can't get the stupid "Guest Additions" to work.

I had a similar problem under Mint 17.2, but finally got it to work. No ideas on this go round.

Hope that clears it up
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Lewish wrote:It is a nothing guest yet because I can't get the stupid "Guest Additions" to work.
Guest additions get installed inside of the guests, so I wonder what you are trying to do.
A shot in the dark: Do you possibly mix guest additions with the extension pack?

Which version of VB is installed? From which source (repositories or Oracle download)?
Lewish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lewish »

I have tried versions 5.1, 5.0.30, & 5.0.28 from both Oracle download and from Debian download with matching guest additions.

I installed VB and in tried to install guest additions. get the same error messages any way I try it.

Something about "systemctl" seems to be broken.
Lewish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lewish »

OK, I give up. I don't know what I did different on this last try, but Guest Additions finally installed.

Must be operator malfuntion.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

This is what i do;

Install virtualbox-dkms and virtualbox-guest-additions on the HOST.
On the Guest, after starting it, from the Menu, go to Devices >> Insert Guest Additons CD Image
Reboot Guest
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
PattiM

Post by PattiM »

What I've noticed is that different distros behave differently as guests. Opensuse, LMDE-2, and Whonix guests both seem to work correctly (window behavior, resizing, shared folders) without mounting the Guest Additions virtual-ISO under the guest and running the Guest Additions installer (within the guest). OTOH: a Kanotix guest seemed to require the Guest Additions to be installed from within the guest. I was wondering if some (but not all) of the Virtualbox drivers were getting included with the later Linux kernels or some more-popular distros? (as ranked by distrowatch)

One thing I just noticed is that LMDE-2 USB-sharing doesn't detect my USB thumb drives - so I may have to install the Guest Additions after all to get that functionality.

Patricia
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

mzsade wrote:This is what i do;
On the Guest, after starting it, from the Menu, go to Devices >> Insert Guest Additons CD Image
Reboot Guest
+1.
once the guest is installed & working A.ok, or at least somewhat,
- then from the Menu, go to Devices >> Insert Guest Additons CD Image, apply / install
then reboot the guest system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “LMDE Archive”