LMDE 2 to LMDE 3

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cookiem

LMDE 2 to LMDE 3

Post by cookiem »

Will LMDE 2 automatically update itself to LMDE 3 when it's released?

If so, how can I prevent this from happening?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Crewp

Re: LMDE 2 to LMDE 3

Post by Crewp »

I do not think the verdict is in yet, I asked if we would be able to upgrade from LMDE2 to LMDE3, but was told, it is to soon to tell. But I have never seen Mint do an auto upgrade. And to be honest, never seen that in the Linux world. But keep reading the Mint blogs as we should start to hear about LMDE3 sometime after Debian 9 Stretch is released.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

LMDE being based on Debian stable, an upgrade path is more than likely. Since years, people are able to update from one Debian release to the other. There is no reason why it should be different next time.
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

I have Debian stretch stable with LMDE Betsy packages installed, it was a major pain switching from Jessie to Stretch. Fortunately, I sorted it all out by commenting out the LMDE repositories first and running aptitude update followed by aptitude. Using aptitude, I ripped out much of the LMDE Betsy MATE packages and then installed the stretch MATE packages to remove the conflicts when upgrading to a new major version after the freeze. After that, I added back the LMDE Betsy repositories and added some of the desired Mint packages for a Minty flavor. Alternatively, you could run aptitude safe-upgrade followed by aptitude dist-upgrade. It will not be a smooth process and a lot of packages can and will break though.

*Aptitude is a package manager I use exclusively. It's not very user friendly but for my use case it gets the job done.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

What really is the advantage to go to stretch?
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

Not much, unless you want a major headache. The sys-v init system has been changed, in that it no longers prints out whether a service has been started or stopped. Mint's version of MATE is much more polished compared to Stretch. Some kernel dev packages have been removed & marked as obsolete - like kernel-package & kernel-common, binutils-x86_64-gnu for cross-compiling... I managed to keep those anyway. If anything, if you're on Jessie, stick with it for now if you value stability. Might as well as wait for LMDE3 to come out when it's ready as I'm certain Clem & company will work to minimize the bugs so your upgrade will be much smoother compared to what I went thru.
Last edited by titetanium on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Don't need anymore headaches LOL. I honesty man not even go to LMDE3. LMDE2 is great on my laptop. I did switch to Cinnamon because MATE 18 screwed my system up. I'm glad I did .. Cinnamon is pretty nice IMHO
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Still get an occasional Cinnamon crash in LMDE2 - no definite appropriate cause apparent.
It is restartable without loss, unless Firefox is in the middle of doing a download.

Perhaps a Stretch version might fix this???

At some point a fix for Systemd will be needed - so sooner rather than later would be nice?
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Debian 9 Mate non-free is great. Not much tweaking to get all that I want, except Google Earth is not happening yet.
Recommend.

Yes, it is not as easy to install, but not that difficult with the live version.

PS: Mint would do well to use that as a base for LMDE next time
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download

Return to “LMDE Archive”