Sort directories befores files in Gtk file dialogs

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Lewish
Level 1
Level 1

Sort directories befores files in Gtk file dialogs

Post by Lewish »

OK, this was not an issue on previous versions of debian. On LMDE-2, Nemo groups folders first alphabetically, or whatever other way you choose, and lists the files in the open folder the same way.
However, when I access a folder from inside some application, everything is listed alphabetically, thus files and folders are not separated into two groups. How do I change this behavior?
I always want the folders listed first and then the files.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dclement

Re: Sort directories befores files in Gtk file dialogs

Post by dclement »

I'm not coming up with a solution, alas. But I just wanted to add that I know at least one app (Evolution) which exhibits the same behavior within its dialogs (e.g. file-import):

It's very annoying to have to scroll below lots of files to reach the desired directory.

Now, of all the apps I use, Evolution is probably one that is most deeply rooted in Gnome. So hopefully a Gnome expert can jump in and give us a workaround!

Lewish, I can only tell you that if you don't mind giving Caja or Thunar a try, both these browsers put the folders first.

Daniel

Return to “LMDE Archive”