LMDE2 Mint Y Theme

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
chrisuk

LMDE2 Mint Y Theme

Post by chrisuk »

I was tempted to put this post in Tutorials, but I'm not sure if what follows works OK for other users... or if others are already aware of it anyway.

From I what I read, Mint Y Theme isn't compatible with LMDE2, as the GTK version isn't the latest... but... I quite like the Mint Y Dark Theme, so thought I'd confirm this for myself.

I downloaded the mint-y-theme_1.1.5_all.deb. Installed it, and selected it from the Appearance program - I ignored the GTK version warning... and it all looks as it should ;)

I'd better add a YMMV, in case it doesn't work for others - if I find any caveats, I'll post back in this thread.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: LMDE2 Mint Y Theme

Post by killer de bug »

chrisuk wrote:I was tempted to put this post in Tutorials, but I'm not sure if what follows works OK for other users... or if others are already aware of it anyway.

From I what I read, Mint Y Theme isn't compatible with LMDE2, as the GTK version isn't the latest... but... I quite like the Mint Y Dark Theme, so thought I'd confirm this for myself.

I downloaded the mint-y-theme_1.1.5_all.deb. Installed it, and selected it from the Appearance program - I ignored the GTK version warning... and it all looks as it should ;)

I'd better add a YMMV, in case it doesn't work for others - if I find any caveats, I'll post back in this thread.
I'm sure it doesn't look as it should. :mrgreen:
For example, you have no scrollbars. In Nemo, the bar with icons looks different also. :wink:
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

killer de bug wrote: I'm sure it doesn't look as it should. :mrgreen:
For example, you have no scrollbars. In Nemo, the bar with icons looks different also. :wink:
I should have mentioned... I'm using MATE, so I don't see those differences (although maybe I need to look properly ;) ) - and I do have scrollbars ;)

I'll do some comparison screenshots with Mint MATE if I remember, and post in this thread.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

In Gtk2 applications it should be fine. That means it will work in most of the built in apps in the version of Mate in LMDE2. You will run into issues with Gtk3 applications though. Be aware that some things have issues with full dark themes that aren't fixable via the theme.

When we do LMDE3, it will include Mint-Y. It's just a significant amount of work to port it back to LMDE2 which is already released and stable.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

JosephM wrote:In Gtk2 applications it should be fine. That means it will work in most of the built in apps in the version of Mate in LMDE2. You will run into issues with Gtk3 applications though. Be aware that some things have issues with full dark themes that aren't fixable via the theme.

When we do LMDE3, it will include Mint-Y. It's just a significant amount of work to port it back to LMDE2 which is already released and stable.
I think I found one program without scrollbars... but I can't remember which one it was. TBH, I use touchpad and keyboard for scrolling, so it wouldn't matter to me anyway. I've found no glitches with the programs I use daily, so I've no need to wait for LMDE3... I fixed problems with dark themes in Mint MATE (Firefox was the main culprit), so I've already sorted this in LMDE2.

It looks just like Mint MATE now... it's just faster and uses less resources ;)

Return to “LMDE Archive”