LMDE-2 201701 Final

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE-2 201701 Final

Post by Trapper »

LMDE2 201701 final hasn't been announced but is now available in repo mirrors.

https://www.linuxmint.com/mirrors.php
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LMDE-2 201701 Final

Post by racer-x »

Tried it. Wants to run in S/W Rendering Mode. Not happy. sticking with LM 18.1 Cinnamon for now.....
azurehi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by azurehi »

Linux Mint 2 "Betsy" - Cinnamon (64-bit) runs in software rendering mode for me also, which makes it impossible to install, at least with my level of understanding. Any idea Why? What to do to install?

n@n-Inspiron-3650 ~ $ uname -a
Linux n-Inspiron-3650 4.4.0-53-generic #74-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 2 15:59:10 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

I was hoping I could run the updated LMDE-2 on a Toshiba laptop I have. That laptop runs LM17.2 MATE, LM18.1 MATE and Debian Jessie 8.7.1 MATE but even the newer LMDE-2 won't even boot up on the laptop to do an install. No big loss though. It was just a play period thing. No need to have LMDE on the laptop.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Not sure what I'm missing but I tried it and I don't really see a lot of difference? Gpart, Clam virus and a few other program have been added but I really don't see a change :?:
Penn

Post by Penn »

Did any of you having issues try both integrity check on the DVD or USB or start in compatibility mode? Of course if you do get it to start and install in compatibility mode you will probably still have to do some changes after the install. Usually graphics. Check your hardware to see if there is known issues.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
It might take some work so I guess the question you need to answer to decide if it is worth a bit of extra work would be, "Why do you want to try LMDE?".
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

Penn wrote:Did any of you having issues try both integrity check on the DVD or USB or start in compatibility mode? Of course if you do get it to start and install in compatibility mode you will probably still have to do some changes after the install. Usually graphics. Check your hardware to see if there is known issues.
I am personally not sweating the inability to install LMDE2. I have gone through all the integrity checks, USB and DVD, compatibility mode, nomodeset, etc. As I said, Debian 8.7.1 Live boots up okay on the laptop, installs okay and runs okay. I even installed it as a 3rd OS on a fully encrypted disk. I often just try things to try things. I suspect LMDE2 is a step behind and perhaps we're in more need of LMDE3 than an updated LMDE2 to make LMDE a more competitive option to both Linux Mint and Debian.
Penn

Post by Penn »

You being able to use Jessie which is the current LMDE base is the main reason I responded here. My only guess is the non-free drivers used in Mint are actually creating an issue when usually they make things easier.

With Stretch being in RC 2 I would think LMDE 3 isn't far off so the new spin at this time seems strange. But in the comments section of the blog post about the spin Clem seemed to say there hasn't been any work on a new LMDE yet so maybe 3 is further down the road than I was hoping to see. Oh well, 2 works great for me.
azurehi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE-2 201701 Final [SOLVED]

Post by azurehi »

In booting the usb storage dvice I have been selecting "UEFI mode". Today I selected USB Storage Device, reached LMDE 2 2017 desktop and successefully LMDE 2 MATE.
I should have tried this before! Thanks to all who have commented.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

Penn wrote:You being able to use Jessie which is the current LMDE base is the main reason I responded here. My only guess is the non-free drivers used in Mint are actually creating an issue when usually they make things easier.
With Stretch being in RC 2 I would think LMDE 3 isn't far off so the new spin at this time seems strange. But in the comments section of the blog post about the spin Clem seemed to say there hasn't been any work on a new LMDE yet so maybe 3 is further down the road than I was hoping to see. Oh well, 2 works great for me.
I am also of the opinion LMDE 3 is still quite a ways down the road. The refresh of the LMDE 2 iso's pretty much says that.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Trapper wrote: I am also of the opinion LMDE 3 is still quite a ways down the road. The refresh of the LMDE 2 iso's pretty much says that.
Well, that and the fact that several people have requested it. The problem was that, after (or during) installation there were hundreds of MBs of updates to download, people that installed LMDE2 often got real tired of that.
Penn

Post by Penn »

Not many questions have been directly answered about 3. Just a verification there will be a LMDE 3 and it will be based on Debian Stretch. It was on the "Mint roadmap" on github as LMDE+1 for a while then was dropped off of it for a while. Now it is listed again on the roadmap under at the very bottom and it appears it is actively being developed. The roadmap is just a general guideline so don't read too much into it.

https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap

I know one thing I'd like to know is what GTK version it will be. A jump to 3.22 would keep in line with Stretch but would make current Mint themes incompatible. I don't know enough to say for sure but an older version might also make some apps in the repo incompatible. If it is going to 3.22 I would like to know to get a jump on my own personal theme's rewrite or at least I would like to get a hold of the new Mint themes to apply my colors and other changes to it. Maybe I should ask that some place more official.

Return to “LMDE Archive”