Interesting piece of software.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lmintnewb2

Interesting piece of software.

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Well the other dy I was tweaking away at Lmde. Removed a bunch of supposedly unneeded xserver-xorg-video packages, well turns out I removed one I did need by removing one of its depends. So downloaded a .deb for it from the online Jessie repos to smartphone(do not currently have internet), transferred it over via USB cord and installed with "dpkg -i" and all was well again.

But while dorking around with this came across something called dpkg-repack. It lets you create debs from the software installed on a running system, puts them in your users /home. These can be installed to other compatible gnu/nix os's.

I used it to install ceni and its depends from my main OS, Debian 8.7 to Lmde. Note it doesn't automatically make debs for the depends of a package you're using it on. A person can use it to make debs of them too and install it all with "dpkg -i". Terminal will tell you if you're missing depends and which.

Someone may need to run "sudo dpkg --configure -a" if run into issues. Usage example where Im making debs of thunar and ceni with it

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-repack --arch=amd64 ceni thunar

and wham two shiny debs in /home.

You can use other architectures with it, used amd64 in the example cause that's what my system is.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chrisuk

Re: Interesting piece of software.

Post by chrisuk »

You don't really need sudo, you can just use fakeroot... example: fakeroot -u dpkg-repack timeshift
lmintnewb2

Re: Interesting piece of software.

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^Thanks and you're right. Oversight on my part. Do think it's a cool util. Is there anything open source people haven't done ? Yowza. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”