Needs to ask before trying Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
hd_scania

Needs to ask before trying Debian

Post by hd_scania »

The UbuntuForums.org has told slightly, which the Debian forums are HOSTILE to the Linux novices, here I have been WELL EXPERIENCED to LMDE and Ubuntu, finally few rpm distro. Will the Debian forums still be HOSTILE to me? If so what to be prepared thanks? This issues will be also asked to UbuntuForums.org.:)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Needs to ask before trying Debian

Post by Moem »

I don't think that we, on the Linux Mint forum, can predict how you will be treated on a different forum. As always, much will probably depend on your own behaviour.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
hd_scania

Post by hd_scania »

I dnt worry which i hate people under chaos and tending to interfere us, but i worry the Debian forums are overly traditional, in a contrary, openSuSE, Fedora, Slackware people are more nice and less traditional (Debian is as old as them), it is always noted, openSuSE, Fedora, Slackware are released every 0.5 years to a year, but Debian is 2 years.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

hd_scania wrote:The UbuntuForums.org has told slightly, which the Debian forums are HOSTILE to the Linux novices, here I have been WELL EXPERIENCED to LMDE and Ubuntu, finally few rpm distro. Will the Debian forums still be HOSTILE to me? If so what to be prepared thanks? This issues will be also asked to UbuntuForums.org.:)
Most of the folks on the Debian forum are all about helping ... especially those individuals who are willing to help themselves. If you come to them with a question, it REALLY helps to be able to list what work you've done in attempting to fix the problem. Have you searched the forum for similar questions/solutions? Have you read the Debian documentation? Have you done some google work? Have your reviewed system logs?

When one has done that and still can't solve the problem - you'll get lots of kind and responsive help.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Ever wonder why your post isn't getting answered?
Please Read.. What we expect you have already Done.
The Debian Handbook
A Beginners Guide to Debian
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
and because we can

Code: Select all

apt-get install debian-handbook
Someone who is "WELL EXPERIENCED" should be able to get some info.
Linux, especially Debian is Self-Serve.

What's the problem and what have you done to try and solve it?
Getting used to Forums is hard. You'll have to adapt, because they may not, and I know I had to.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I've never found the Debian forum to be hostile, that being said there are some on the forum that expect people to have at least googled their problem before posting.
Most there are there to help even if your a newbie.

As someone above has already said we can not predict how anyone person may treat another. so like with all forums there are the exceptions. Just take it with a grain of salt and move on.
Good Luck -- Though any other forum is not as likely to be quite as nice as Linux Mint's :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Nobody, on any of these help forums, is "hostile"; there is nothing to gain by it. Sometimes we are here to get help with something we can't solve ourselves, sometimes we are here just for the warm fuzzy of helping someone else. Often we get frustrated by users who expect the whole enchilada handed to them on a silver platter with no effort on their part. That isn't "helping"; that is professional repair, and if you want that you'll have to pay for it.

Debian, and by bloodline LMDE, are aimed at more experienced Linux users, and as such certain abilities are expected of forum users. If you don't know what a terminal or a CLI is, I recommend a different distro, possibly the main Linux Mint or its parent Ubuntu, at least until you have read up and experimented some. You'll know when that happens by what happens on the forums, when you find yourself answering more questions than you're asking.

And no whining.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

kevinthefixer wrote:Often we get frustrated by users who expect the whole enchilada handed to them on a silver platter with no effort on their part. That isn't "helping"; that is professional repair, and if you want that you'll have to pay for it.
Yup, this is the deal on the majority of Linux forums. I've *very* rarely seen any responder act like a jerk on any forum for no reason; which is not to say never.

If you point us to some instances where you think others have been unnecessarily rude, perhaps we can give some insight.
LMDE2User

Post by LMDE2User »

@Habitual:
Habitual wrote:

apt-get install debian-handbook
Thx. <EDIT: add LOL. Seriously, thx for the PDF link.>
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

hd_scania wrote:The UbuntuForums.org has told slightly, which the Debian forums are HOSTILE to the Linux novices, here I have been WELL EXPERIENCED to LMDE and Ubuntu, finally few rpm distro. Will the Debian forums still be HOSTILE to me? If so what to be prepared thanks? This issues will be also asked to UbuntuForums.org.:)
LOL I closed my account more than a year a go at UbuntuForums because of a HOSTILE Mod now Admin.

You will do find on the Debian forums and the debian-handbook will be surely handy. :wink:
hd_scania

Post by hd_scania »

LMDE2User wrote:@Habitual:
Habitual wrote:

# aptitude install debian-handbook
Thx. <EDIT: add LOL. Seriously, thx for the PDF link.>
Here, thanks recommending to me a practical collection of manuals and docs, which I am going to install this under Linux Mint before trying Debian testing (I have been come back to Linux Mint these days).:)
hd_scania

Post by hd_scania »

sammiev wrote:
LOL I closed my account more than a year a go at UbuntuForums because of a HOSTILE Mod now Admin.
You will do find on the Debian forums and the debian-handbook will be surely handy. :wink:
I think I DNT NEED to go back to Ubuntu which they are an distro just for an Unix novice for the first 0.5 years, and I have been just afterwards at Linux Mint, also was at Fedora, and was just got panic to their DNF software manager which I am needed to ‘-C’ or the repo are needed to be refreshed.
Finally and ultimately the distro I need are Tumbleweed and Linux Mint 2, which BOTH are less unstable rolling and green toned distro, also being a Cinnamon desktop shells lover my MOST SUSE studio devels are spinned of your Cinnamon.
Besides TW and LM2 I am also going to taste few times for ArchBang and few lightweight Gentoo derivatives.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

hd_scania wrote:Besides TW and LM2 I am also going to taste few times for ArchBang and few lightweight Gentoo derivatives.
What is this "LM2" you speak of?

Linux Mint Debian Edition 2?
LMDE2.?

Hope you "land" somewhere safe and with Air Conditioning. :mrgreen:
hd_scania

Post by hd_scania »

Habitual wrote:
hd_scania wrote:Besides TW and LM2 I am also going to taste few times for ArchBang and few lightweight Gentoo derivatives.
What is this "LM2" you speak of?
Linux Mint Debian Edition 2?
LMDE2.?
Hope you "land" somewhere safe and with Air Conditioning. :mrgreen:
As told to you above, Linux Mint 2 (this can be installed with Debian’s handbooks which Linux Mint 18.x just can’t), also TW is stood for openSUSE Tumbleweed, a rolling distro like Linux Mint 2 which OFFICIALLY includes Cinnamon desktop shells.:)

Return to “LMDE Archive”