So how far off is LMDE 3?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
killer de bug

Re: LMDE3 ?!

Post by killer de bug »

Sorry guys:
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3263#comment-135552
Clem wrote:Hi Stephan. No, there are no plans regarding LMDE 3 yet. We’ll be likely to formulate these in the next cycle though. For now our development target is still LMDE 2. MATE 1.18 was ported already. Cinnamon 3.4, the Xapps and the most of the new features present in 18.2 will be ported there as well.
cybermarmotte
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cybermarmotte »

Yeah. But maybe LMDE can point to STRETCH repositories?!
Last edited by cybermarmotte on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

This is already the case. This is LMDE2.
cybermarmotte
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cybermarmotte »

killer de bug wrote:This is already the case. This is LMDE2.
I made a mistake, I had Stretch in mind
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Doing this right now, would most likely break Cinnamon.
There is still work to do to use Stretch as our LMDE base. Patience is a virtue.

But feel free to install LMDE in a test system. Then change the sources to Debian 9 and update.
Let us know the result. ;)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

killer de bug wrote:Doing this right now, would most likely break Cinnamon.
And quite possibly MATE too. Even on Debian Sid, I'm still running MATE 1.16. You guys on LMDE have had MATE 1.18 for some time already. :shock:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

chrisuk wrote:
mike acker wrote:[...]
it's my understanding the straight Debian system lacks "non free software" that may be included with LMDE/2, -- i.e. Straight Debian is a FOSS Purist. This might result in the user needing to dig around for drivers or other updates,--
These are what you want... firmware and drivers etc is included in the isos. Go up a few directories for other builds.
or, is you need a Torrent: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... bt-hybrid/
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
kovalskisrbzorin

Linux Mint Debian Edition 3

Post by kovalskisrbzorin »

Hi, all forum members, I am new here, so I came to ask a question. I want to install stable OS on my main computer, but, to get new software. So, I found LMDE as a awesome choice. But, Debian 9 is recently released, so I am waiting for LMDE 3, because I do not want to upgrade or reinstall OS, when I finally set it up. So, I found LMDE 2 as a great choice, but I do not want to reinstall OS in 2-3 months when 3 comes out. But, my actually question is: When LMDE 3 comes out? Greetings for nice and friendly community, long live Mint. Cheers :D.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition 3

Post by Pierre »

you could be waiting, a reasonably long time,
as the new Debian System will have be Tested internally, within the LinuxMint Team,
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09865
and before any release announcement is made.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

We don't know yet whether there will be an (easy) upgrade path from LMDE 2.
kovalskisrbzorin

Post by kovalskisrbzorin »

I am waiting till the October :D.
youstupiddarkness

Post by youstupiddarkness »

Jessie-backports has many newer versions of applications. There are also some third-party backports repositories, some of which I maintain, but you've got to be aware that they could be of varying quality.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

xenopeek wrote:We don't know yet whether there will be an (easy) upgrade path from LMDE 2.
hmmmmmm.... ??

It seems to me that where I have a system setup with the / [root] partition and the /home partition separate that it should be possible, when the time comes, to just install lmde/3 into the existing / partition

I did this once -- replacing an LMDE/2 that wouldn't boot. at install I just took the option to select partitions manually and the update dropped right in.

when it finished all the data in /home was preserved -- even the Virtual box and guest machine still all worked perfect!

I did have to re-install apps. but, as we know -- we can re-install apps -- but we have to protect our /home data with our own backups.

the interesting question about this of course is the user-id........ if i remember right i just used the same user name for the re-install and it all worked as i had hoped it would.

I wonder though -- if I can copy a user account from one /home partition to another ........ Example: suppose that a user wants to move her /home/user account from one machine to another. I'm thinking I should be able to just archive her user folder from the /home partition and restore it to the /home partition in another box. i'm thinking her user-id, password, and file permissions should all be preserved -- along with files in dot-land such as the database for Shotwell -- which lives in .local -- .thunderbird -- and .gnupg ----- I should be able to migrate all these key files to a new home and have them still work.

if my thinking on this is good folks interested in LMDE/3 should be able to install lmde/2 now and then update to lmde/3

in the worst case one might have to create a new LMDE/3 system and then migrate all user data from either backup disks or from the /home directory of the LMDE/2 system ( if you have a case that holds 2 or more disks you can have the LMDE/2 on one disk and then install the LMDE/3 on a new one . For lap-tops an external hard drive backup disk is probably a good method ) . I always worry about file permissions in doing this though.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

@mike acker
all good options.
another method: copy the /home partition with Gparted.
I do caution, after the copy has finished use Gparted again to set a new UUID on the copy (and change the Label also).
I have been using that method a lot, never a problem. (I stick with Mate and Xfce so have not encountered compatibility problems)
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition 3 -- move user to new disc

Post by mike acker »

sdibaja wrote:@mike acker
all good options.
another method: copy the /home partition with Gparted.
I do caution, after the copy has finished use Gparted again to set a new UUID on the copy (and change the Label also).
I have been using that method a lot, never a problem. (I stick with Mate and Xfce so have not encountered compatibility problems)
that would copy the partition with the disk not mounted -- yes?

in this case the source computer has 4 users. One user wants her own computer.

what I suspect is: if I take a new disk and partition it and then put her files into what will become the new /home folder -- when I install LMDE -- I think -- I'm not at all sure -- but I think it's going to pick her up as a user because it finds her in the /home folder during install.

dunno fer sure-- I'll probably have to try it to find out ! the thing that needs care is to be sure all her files have the proper permissions.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

This is one of the advantages of using BTRFS. Create a clone test snapshot, add to your grub, boot into it, upgrade. Test :)

If all goes bad, remove the entry from grub and drop the snapshot.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

LMDE/3 wishlist,.....

1. Prevent KDE software from preempting the audio system. currently a number of KDE programs will slam the volume control to 100% when they want your attention...... Kate, K3B, Kolourpaint ... if the audio system is allocated -- likely to a music player -- please: leave it alone.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

killer de bug wrote:Sorry guys:
Clem wrote:Hi Stephan. No, there are no plans regarding LMDE 3 yet. We’ll be likely to formulate these in the next cycle though. For now our development target is still LMDE 2. MATE 1.18 was ported already. Cinnamon 3.4, the Xapps and the most of the new features present in 18.2 will be ported there as well.
What is the next "cycle"?
i.e. What's a rough estimate for the release of Cinnamon + LMDE 3?

I'm not interested in those Xapps - they seem to be mostly duplicates of existing programs.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

There has been no word on LMDE 3, we will have to be patient. And if you have Cinnamon 3.4.4 running you have the latest release of Cinnamon.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Cinnamon 3.4.4 is flawless on my system :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”