When is Linux Mint Stretch/Betsy out?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
hd_scania

When is Linux Mint Stretch/Betsy out?

Post by hd_scania »

As what I have asked here (just few days after the Stretch stabilization), and Debian Stretch is stabilized for a month, but the Betsy ISO repo are NOT YET mirrored with the more recent ISO of Stretch/Betsy, and the desktop shell I need are Cinnamon, MATE, LXQt, Xfce of course.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: [URGENT] When is Linux Mint Stretch/Betsy out?

Post by Reorx »

When is Linux Mint Stretch/Betsy out? I'm not sure but I think the answer is never. Betsy (LMDE2) uses Jessie as its code base. I believe LMDE3 (code name not yet published) will be based on Stretch. There isn't any announcement regarding LMDE3 that I know of and it isn't yet in beta... but we are all hopeful for its arrival in the not so distant future...
Last edited by Reorx on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

The answer I see most often to questions like that is, "When it's ready." There are a few people here who may have some inside information on that, though.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
hd_scania

R: When will be Linux Mint alpha out?

Post by hd_scania »

I think it needs to be regardless if it is ready, I think I would need to taste a developmental release aka Linux Mint alpha (= pre-LMDE + Debian testing) like Debian testing itself, in fact this improves and accelerates your developments, also amuses the other Unix enthusiasts like myself. :)
Honestly Debian testing is just like Tumbleweed or Arch which BOTH are updating the most recent stabilized packs, at least NOT AS UNSTABLE as (Debian) Sid and Fedora Rawhide. :)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: When is Linux Mint Stretch/Betsy out?

Post by Pierre »

you are unlikely to ever see an Alpha version of LMDE,
but if you did watch the FTP site closely, then you would be able to get an Beta version of it,
& of course, the Final Version, as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

What is so urgent about this question, apart from the fact that you seem to be impatient?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Moem wrote:What is so urgent about this question, apart from the fact that you seem to be impatient?
+1
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

Back in the day of LMDE 1, there used to be a "testng" version that was pointing to snapshots of Debian testing. Those wanting to help out would use it and report issue, and eventually the snapshot would become the regular LMDE 1 update.

It would be less hardship on the maintainers to do the same for LMDE 3 and let the community help identify what is broken. Whole purpose of alpha testing. Less burden on the maintainers and LMDE 3 will be ready faster.

If you were eager, you could try switching your repository to Debian Stretch but I think as others pointed out in the other threads discussing this topic, you'll have a heck of a time with MATE and Cinnamon.

There are still updates planned for Jessie (next on 07/22 I think).
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

As long as my LMDE2 is security safe I'm good with it. With the newest Cinnamon release it kicks butt :D
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

I wonder what all the hype is about with Cinnamon. I haven't tried it since LMDE 1. I'm to accustom to MATE with Compiz and Emerald. Too many productivity add-ons that losing would result in continued frustration.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

ddurdle wrote:It would be less hardship on the maintainers to do the same for LMDE 3 .
I think it is less work for the Dev's and Maintainers now that LMDE is based on Debian Stable, than it was before when it was based on Debian Testing. I'm sure LMDE 3 will be here soon enough. Mint never runs on a release schedule.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

ddurdle wrote:I wonder what all the hype is about with Cinnamon. I haven't tried it since LMDE 1. I'm to accustom to MATE with Compiz and Emerald. Too many productivity add-ons that losing would result in continued frustration.

Not really into the 'EyeCandy' stuff. I've got a desktop with KDE for that stuff. I was using LMDE2 with Mate and after I upgraded to MATE 18 it just fell apart for me. The 'looks' I had were long gone and with Cinnamon I got them back. I also don't see where Cinnamon is slower like I've read. I do have all the effects stuff turned off through
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Pepi wrote:
ddurdle wrote:I wonder what all the hype is about with Cinnamon. I haven't tried it since LMDE 1. I'm to accustom to MATE with Compiz and Emerald. Too many productivity add-ons that losing would result in continued frustration.

Not really into the 'EyeCandy' stuff. I've got a desktop with KDE for that stuff. I was using LMDE2 with Mate and after I upgraded to MATE 18 it just fell apart for me. The 'looks' I had were long gone and with Cinnamon I got them back. I also don't see where Cinnamon is slower like I've read. I do have all the effects stuff turned off through
Unfortunately I had the same problem just a day or two ago. I avoided updating my wife's laptop (LMDE Mate) since late April because of that "Level 1" 1.18 update at the end of the month.
I accepted the updates, let it change settings, and it killed the system. Black screen with cursor and my conky.
My wife actually uses that laptop. She would be outraged if I broke it so I installed an actual Stable Debian 9 based OS with Mate and copied over her data and settings. (she is thrilled with the increase in performance)

Mint has changed. They are obviously not testing before release, nor do they consider full function "important". With Cinnamon that is understandable, it is still in development. But Mate?

I think we need to relax and not be anxious to grab "shinny new things". Mint will probably adapt and repair.
Jessie will have full support (by Debian) for One More Year.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
hd_scania

Post by hd_scania »

sdibaja wrote:My wife actually uses that laptop. She would be outraged if I broke it so I installed an actual Stable Debian 9 based OS with MATE and copied over her data and settings. (she is thrilled with the increase in performance)
Mint has changed. They are obviously not testing before release, nor do they consider full function "important". With Cinnamon that is understandable, it is still in development. But MATE?
I think we need to relax and not be anxious to grab "shinny new things". Mint will probably adapt and repair.
Jessie will have full support (by Debian) for One More Year.
It needs to be why Linux Mint is needed to re-open its Linux Mint alpha (= Debian testing + pre-LMDE) to the general public, which you have told to us which Linux Mint DOES NOT NOW AND HEREIN test its releases, honestly and not to be denied yes Linux Mint is needed to be come back to public alpha, plus Linux Mint is needed to establish its own wiki and Bugzilla. :)
hd_scania

Post by hd_scania »

Crewp wrote:
ddurdle wrote:It would be less hardship on the maintainers to do the same for LMDE 3 .
I think it is less work for the Dev's and Maintainers now that LMDE is based on Debian Stable, than it was before when it was based on Debian Testing. I'm sure LMDE 3 will be here soon enough. Mint never runs on a release schedule.
Not very likely to be named LMDE 3 for the next release, and instead will be come back to true versionless like Tumbleweed, Arch, Gentoo etc. :)
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

maybe these lists will help us understand the focus on development, and the direction that Mint envisions:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

Pepi wrote:

Sounds like you were using a theme that wasn't 1.8 compatible. Because my theme wasn't neither, and everything seemed broken, but I switched to an included "mainline" theme and everything works, and works well.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

hd_scania wrote:
Crewp wrote:
Not very likely to be named LMDE 3 for the next release, and instead will be come back to true versionless like Tumbleweed, Arch, Gentoo etc. :)
why don't you just go get a copy?

I installed one just to try it out. it works just fine. it's like getting the raw materials though. I had to install the "non free stuff" annex to it -- that worked OK--

but, to get everything to work like you want it -- may take you a bit of effort.

my advice: download/install it on a test disk. maybe it covers what you want -- as is . only one way to find out: Go for It!!
¡Viva la Resistencia!
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

That's not happening.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

So should I install proper Debian + Cinnamon and forget about Mint/LMDE, since no update is going to be issued?

Return to “LMDE Archive”