When is Linux Mint Stretch/Betsy out?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: [URGENT] When is Linux Mint Stretch/Betsy out?

Post by Fred Barclay »

axisofevil wrote:So should I install proper Debian + Cinnamon and forget about Mint/LMDE, since no update is going to be issued?
JosephM knows better than I, but my understanding is that we will get an LMDE 3 sometime in the future. We just have to wait (impatiently)... :mrgreen:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

JosephM knows better than I, but my understanding is that we will get an LMDE 3 sometime in the future. We just have to wait (impatiently)... :mrgreen:
As far as I know there will be a LMDE3 at some point. I'm just saying it isn't going back to the rolling release model. I don't see any case where it wouldn't be based on the new Debian stable.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

sometimes some of us just get the urge to check out the latest versions of software. if so -- at this point, I'd head over to Debians and get a download. go ahead install it and play with it.

you'll have a lot of fun, particularly if you don't mind digging around for updates you may need.

even with an LMDE install you may need to do this a little,-- for example, I've had to do my own updates for LibreOffice, and for DarkTable. But overall generally all the packages run very well.

so-- if you're looking for software to play with go get a new Debian/Stretch. But if you are looking for software to work with stick with LMDE/2 .

I keep a "Research Box" in the workshop for this purpose. Right now it has 3 different systems on it: Debian/Stretch, LMDE/2 with Virtual Box, and a Mint/18 KDE system. My office machine is my LMDE/2 box. My office box is based on the early release of LMDE/2 -- and it needs to be updated. But: it runs all the packages just fine -- so the issue isn't urgent. AFAIK the only "urgent" reason for a new Linux/Kernel -- is RYZEN. It's my understanding that, if you are running a RYZEN multi-thread CPU you need kernel 4.10 or better to get optimal scheduling of cores and threads. But,-- it's also my understanding that kernel 4.14 will be the next stable -- and that Debian/Strectch is based on kernel 4.9 stable and will hold with that, pro tem. So, if your'e into hot-rodding a RYZEN chip -- grab any copy of MINT and install the latest kernel -- I think that's 4.13 RC-1 right now.

it's All Good ( if you don't mind going out on the Thin Ice and Living on the Edge ).

personally I'd like to see the Mint Project move away from Canonical and focus on the 4 flavors of MINT/LMDE. This is because I see Canonical drifting into Gaterland. My bet is the Old Gater will snap up Canonical for cash and that will be the End of Ubuntu as the Canonical staff will be incorporated into Gater projects.

My Main Hope for LMDE/3 is that it will do something to stop KDE software from slamming the audio volume while I'm listening to BeeGie Adair
¡Viva la Resistencia!
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Personally I have no doubt that Linux Mint will eventually produce LMDE 3 based on Stretch.
===
However my feeling is that Mate is not very important to Mint, perhaps unimportant.
The version of Mate that Mint produces is unique. They have created a version that is very much like Cinnamon in layout, and it is distasteful to me. I have been using Gnome 2 and Mate for a long time and I find the Traditional layout and function as ideal for multi-tasking and office productivity... less keyboarding and less clicks to execute simple repetitive tasks.
No big deal, I can rearrange panels, the Menu Bar, and such while the initial update is running.
but now function is lacking:
I constantly drag and drop files and folders to the panel for quick access during my workday, and delete them when done... and that basic function has been lost/deleted. I believe it is on the todo list, but maybe not.
I do understand that Mint is aimed at making everything very windows like for the new converts, I am fine with that, but I need to work.
==
STABILITY is highly important to me. Set it and Forget it. Just use the darn computer and ignore the OS... just accept the updates. Did we loose that goal of stability?
All of my LMDE Mate installs are slowly going away, either because of loss of function or updates resulting in black screens.

I want my LMDE back!

Sorry for the rant :-)
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

sdibaja wrote:Personally I have no doubt that Linux Mint will eventually produce LMDE 3 based on Stretch.
===
However my feeling is that Mate is not very important to Mint, perhaps unimportant.
The version of Mate that Mint produces is unique. They have created a version that is very much like Cinnamon in layout, and it is distasteful to me. I have been using Gnome 2 and Mate for a long time and I find the Traditional layout and function as ideal for multi-tasking and office productivity... less keyboarding and less clicks to execute simple repetitive tasks.
No big deal, I can rearrange panels, the Menu Bar, and such while the initial update is running.
but now function is lacking:
I constantly drag and drop files and folders to the panel for quick access during my workday, and delete them when done... and that basic function has been lost/deleted. I believe it is on the todo list, but maybe not.
I do understand that Mint is aimed at making everything very windows like for the new converts, I am fine with that, but I need to work.
==
STABILITY is highly important to me. Set it and Forget it. Just use the darn computer and ignore the OS... just accept the updates. Did we loose that goal of stability?
All of my LMDE Mate installs are slowly going away, either because of loss of function or updates resulting in black screens.

I want my LMDE back!

It's not a Mint problem, Peter, it's a MATE regression. I'm using the latest MATE with Manjaro, and it affects me too.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

chrisuk I understand that, a bit, but not exactly why
Jessie works with 1.18
Stretch works with 1.16
Debian produces Stretch with 1.6
Mint, Ubuntu, and openSuse produce flawed versions.
as directed on the Mate website for Debian base "sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extras" loads the appropriate fully featured version depending on the base... both work without problem.

SolydX and SolydK (both the Jessie and Stretch based versions) with Mate added work fine, and that is my preferred solution at this time.

I am waiting for LMDE, thanks
Peter
StefanSch

Re: When is Linux Mint Stretch/Betsy out?

Post by StefanSch »

In one of the earlier posts we were advised to monitor the FTP server for
beta-versions of LMDE3.

Pray, which server and directory exactly is this referring to?

I am looking forward to check it out as soon as it becomes available.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

If you read the July Blog comments, Clem states LMDE3 will arrive sometime in the first quarter of 2018 :(
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Crewp wrote:If you read the July Blog comments, Clem states LMDE3 will arrive sometime in the first quarter of 2018 :(
That's the first time I've seen him mention a timeline for LMDE3. It makes sense from a developer perspective. At that point we would be working on Mint 19 as well. Because of the newer versions of some major underlying libraries like Gtk will be at the same versions for both we would be able to effectively kill two birds with one stone. The newer version of Gtk that will come with both will, for instance, require a near rewrite of some of our themes. The nice part is for once they will both be on the same version.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

JosephM wrote:
Crewp wrote:If you read the July Blog comments, Clem states LMDE3 will arrive sometime in the first quarter of 2018 :(
That's the first time I've seen him mention a timeline for LMDE3. It makes sense from a developer perspective.
That would definitely be easier on you guys - but I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed. :( It's quite a bit 'till then and I would have like to see LMDE 3 sooner.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

just some conjecture... if it is gonna take that long expect major change.
Peter
hd_scania

Post by hd_scania »

sdibaja wrote:Personally I have no doubt that Linux Mint will eventually produce LMDE 3 based on Stretch.
I want my LMDE back!
However, I am unlike you, I need to compromise some stability to reach the top security standard and the top bleeding edge, it needs to stand for, Stretch is not yet fit to me, even Jessie is already old-schooled to me, I ultimately need Buster now.
It also needs to be why it is BEST which Linux Mint publicizes Linux Mint alpha with the Debian testing and pre-LMDE codebases to experiment our Liunx advancements which we are are ready to the higher advancements than LMDE. :)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

hd_scania wrote: However, I am unlike you, I need to compromise some stability to reach the top security standard and the top bleeding edge, it needs to stand for, Stretch is not yet fit to me, even Jessie is already old-schooled to me, I ultimately need Buster now.
Not compatible in the same sentence.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

You're in the wrong place if you need the absolute cutting edge. I would recommend Arch or Antergos.
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

To my mind, LMDE2 is a good mix between Debian stability/security and last Mate/Cinnamon updates. Good choice if you really need/want last desktop updates (like Neon does with Plasma for example).

There may be better distros if you really always want last released apps, kernels etc. Some rolling distros like Arch, Manjaro, Solus, PCLInuxOS may be ways to study in this case.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

We all need to re-evaluate our personal needs and goals.
There is a range between "new shiny things" and boring "get it done".
LMDE is somewhere in the middle.

For true Stability I don't believe you can do better than Debian Stable, either Jessie or Stretch. That's just my opinion, I am no expert, but I am not new to this (at the consumer level).

Jessie is getting to be a short timer, so it is time to consider upgrading. But we have a year or more to do that...

If you are a Gnome 2 aka Mate user you may note that some distros issue Mate that is not fully functional... that includes Ubuntu, Mint, LMDE, and several non Debian spins.

Two months of struggle (and education) has brought Me to Debian 9 Mate non-free. Most of the little things that I thought were distro unique are actually in the Mate "extras", and synaptic also helps.
...and It Works...
(note that Jessie ships with Mate 1.18 and Stretch ships with Mate 1.16)

It is more work to build your own. Is it necessary? Maybe for you it is.
It definitely is or me.
I Need a stable platform to work on. Predictable and ergonomic.
The last thing I need is a "trusted and tested update" that crashes everything just hours before I go on the road intending to Work.
Peter
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

sdibaja wrote:Jessie is getting to be a short timer, so it is time to consider upgrading. But we have a year or more to do that...
Not quite right ;)
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Bolle1961 wrote:
sdibaja wrote:Jessie is getting to be a short timer, so it is time to consider upgrading. But we have a year or more to do that...
Not quite right ;)
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
"a year or more" ;-)
Peter
hd_scania

Post by hd_scania »

https://packages.debian.org/cinnamon, https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/week ... iso-hybrid, yes you can go the Debian blend of Cinnamon which you think yourself advanced enough to test Debian. :)
axisofevil wrote:So should I install proper Debian + Cinnamon and forget about Mint/LMDE, since no update is going to be issued?
hd_scania

Post by hd_scania »

This needs to be why the best is which LMDE is come back to versionless thru the Debian testing channel, this is which you can keep upgrading if available for your own need which I am perceiving. :)
sdibaja wrote:We all need to re-evaluate our personal needs and goals.
There is a range between "new shiny things" and boring "get it done".
LMDE is somewhere in the middle.
For true Stability I don't believe you can do better than Debian Stable, either Jessie or Stretch. That's just my opinion, I am no expert, but I am not new to this (at the consumer level).
Jessie is getting to be a short timer, so it is time to consider upgrading. But we have a year or more to do that...
If you are a Gnome 2 aka Mate user you may note that some distros issue Mate that is not fully functional... that includes Ubuntu, Mint, LMDE, and several non Debian spins.
Two months of struggle (and education) has brought Me to Debian 9 Mate non-free. Most of the little things that I thought were distro unique are actually in the Mate "extras", and synaptic also helps.
...and It Works...
(note that Jessie ships with Mate 1.18 and Stretch ships with Mate 1.16)
It is more work to build your own. Is it necessary? Maybe for you it is.
It definitely is or me.
I Need a stable platform to work on. Predictable and ergonomic.
The last thing I need is a "trusted and tested update" that crashes everything just hours before I go on the road intending to Work.

Return to “LMDE Archive”