Is it the end for LMDE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Is it the end for LMDE?

Post by axisofevil »

What is the difference between LMDE2 and Stretch + Cinnamon?
Is there any appreciable functional difference?
I appreciate a certain lack of prettyness and icon themes etc in such a move, but at least I would be able to update my applications.
Also, the Debian installer isn't all that nice.

But, I've been using Debian in the shape of LMDE1 & LMDE2 for several years.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't drop LMDE2 and go for Debian + Cinnamon?
Unfortunately, the LMDE developers seem to be stopping development - a great shame for such an excellent product.

At least I'm planning on building a VM to see what it looks like.
I anticipate a lot of reconfiguration.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Is it the end for LMDE?

Post by MintBean »

Do people really believe these melodramatic whinge threads will expedite the arrival of LMDE3?
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Not really an answer is it?
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

You can configure Debian to look and feel like LMDE2, you just need to download the non-free iso - then add compatible Mint apps (Mintstick, for example) that you want/need. I've no idea how successful you'l be, and you still won't get all the latest packages, because even Debian Unstable doesn't have the latest of everything... no repo does.

If you just want newer packages, try a rolling distro. If you want the very latest and a stable OS... you won't get what you want, as it doesn't exist - you'll need to compromise. (Although you can get pretty close with an Arch-based Distro, or maybe Gentoo).

Have a look here to see which Distros have the most up-to-date packages - use the search to find specific packages. You might be surprised how outdated some Distro repos are.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

axisofevil wrote:Unfortunately, the LMDE developers seem to be stopping development
Oh really ? You have news we don't have ? :lol:
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

Hello,

To my mind, one of the main interests of LMDE2 is the possibility or receiving the last desktop (Mate or Cinnamon) releases (like Neon with Plasma) . For instance LMDE2 runs with Mate 1.18 whereas Debian Stretch is stuck with Mate 1.16.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

killer de bug wrote:
axisofevil wrote:Unfortunately, the LMDE developers seem to be stopping development
Oh really ? You have news we don't have ? :lol:
Sorry - but despatch of updates to LMDE2 have dwindled to virtually zero and no data is available about any hoped for target dates for LMDE3.
For example, is it likely that LMDE3 might appear in the next 6 months?

If it turns out that an upgrade of LMDE2 is impossible, sue to systemd, I'm sure that a reinstall of LMDE3 would be acceptable.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Clem gave some news a few days ago: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3340#comment-137188
Any news on the next LMDE?

Edit by Clem: No, not yet. We’ll start working on LMDE 3 slowly, but there is no hurry there. We’re probably looking at 2018 for the next version.
And the repo have just been created proving that the next version will exist.
Next year, when Ubuntu 18.04 will be released, it seems that Ubuntu and Debian stable will have the same GTK version, making it easier for Cinnamon. Hence the wait from my understanding.

Finally, it is always possible to go from one version of Debian to the next without reinstalling. I don't see why this time would be different.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Just remember that as far as software packages are concerned, newer does not necessarily mean better and you may achieve a more stable OS by staying just a little bit behind the most recent versions of everything.

I have a VM of Debian 9 in virtualbox and that has had very few upgrades to packages since I installed it a few months ago so perhaps that is part of the reason why you see so few in LMDE-2, about which I admit I know very little.

f you really do want or need the latest packages in your OS try either or both of Antergos and Manjaro; they are both based on Arch so get largely unchanged packages as soon as they appear from the devs. I have Antergos also as a VM and it has so far been extremely good, and in spite of being an Arch derivative is as easy to maintain and install as any other OS I've tried, ie, not at all like Arch in that respect.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

axisofevil wrote:Is it the end for LMDE?
No...not at all. It looks to me like Clem and friends have plans for LMDE that extend years into the future.
ciaobello

Post by ciaobello »

Neil Edmond wrote:
axisofevil wrote:Is it the end for LMDE?
No...not at all. It looks to me like Clem and friends have plans for LMDE that extend years into the future.
I'm just missing the information about LMDE a bit too, special on github. Someone who goes thru Github cant see that it is existing. And as Debian Stable always is a bit behind it gets really difficult to see how things will/do look like.
killer de bug wrote: And the repo have just been created proving that the next version will exist.
Hey ... wold be nice to know where this repo is ... can you link it?
dlindyds

Post by dlindyds »

Lets all just calm down. Debian Jesse is supported till 2020. LMDE2 is by their own admission not bleeding edge. Not all of us want a Debian based system that breaks all the time. I am using LMDE2 for my Mythtv box and it is stable and just works.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

killer de bug wrote:Clem gave some news a few days ago: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3340#comment-137188
Any news on the next LMDE?

Edit by Clem: No, not yet. We’ll start working on LMDE 3 slowly, but there is no hurry there. We’re probably looking at 2018 for the next version.
And the repo have just been created proving that the next version will exist.
Next year, when Ubuntu 18.04 will be released, it seems that Ubuntu and Debian stable will have the same GTK version, making it easier for Cinnamon. Hence the wait from my understanding.

Finally, it is always possible to go from one version of Debian to the next without reinstalling. I don't see why this time would be different.
So is it reasonable to anticipate that the aim will be Mint in April 2018 and LMDE 3 shortly afterwards?
I can live with a wait for LMDE3 for maybe 9 months time.
:D
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

All we have is the statement Clem made. Anything beyond that is speculation or fantasy.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

axisofevil wrote:So is it reasonable to anticipate that the aim will be Mint in April 2018
For sure not. Ubuntu, the base, will only be released in April. How could Mint be released at the same time?
It will come when it will be ready. Around June or July, I guess, based on the past.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Personally, I'd much rather see a thing get released when it was ready than to see it get released when it was scheduled.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

MtnDewManiac wrote:Personally, I'd much rather see a thing get released when it was ready than to see it get released when it was scheduled.

Regards,
MDM
Amen
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

chrisuk wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:25 am You can configure Debian to look and feel like LMDE2, you just need to download the non-free iso - then add compatible Mint apps (Mintstick, for example) that you want/need. I've no idea how successful you'l be, and you still won't get all the latest packages, because even Debian Unstable doesn't have the latest of everything... no repo does.

If you just want newer packages, try a rolling distro. If you want the very latest and a stable OS... you won't get what you want, as it doesn't exist - you'll need to compromise. (Although you can get pretty close with an Arch-based Distro, or maybe Gentoo).

Have a look here to see which Distros have the most up-to-date packages - use the search to find specific packages. You might be surprised how outdated some Distro repos are.
I've played with the Debian+non_free w/ Cinnamon Desktop. It's a very nice package. I like being part of the MINT project so while we have the LMDE option this is what I prefer to use. The help availble here on our support board is truly excellent :)

For those who may be interested in running straight Debian I advise to familiarize here, using Std. Edition or LMDE before venturing out. You will need a good understanding of the Proper Care and Maintenance of Software in the Linux Environment.

one of the things that is an on-going concern for me is simple -- I'd like to see more dev's sign their dist. packages.

hmmmmm .... I wonder if the new "SNAP" format package -- supposedly a universal dist. package -- to work for systems that use .deb or .rpm (other ?) -- I'd like to see a digital signature included as a standard option in the new SNAP package specs. ( hopefully it already is and I'm just not aware of it yet )
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

UPDATE to Debian 9.3 Cinamon + non-free

installed just now. looks good.

if you like a good hole card -- check it out. remember to look for version 9.3 --- earlier files are 404,--
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

I am going to continue work on the 9.3 Debian. I have the Cinamon with non-free dist.

so far -- it looks really good. I'm going to make a list of the apps is use daily here -- and see if i can install them all on the new D9.3

I know some of us here have worried a little over the future of LMDE. Personally, I don't like being associated at all with Canonical; I prefer to be more into the "FOSS" environment. all of this leaves me wondering how much real difference there is between LMDE and the Debian+non-free Dist. with the Cinamon option.

best way to find out is "boot on the ground". gotta remember my extra n though,.... ooops need 2n's
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “LMDE Archive”