Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gweaver

Re: Is it the end for LMDE?

Post by gweaver »

I'm running proto-LMDE3 in VirtualBox.

By proto-LMDE3, I mean:
* Debian Stretch network install
* Apt sources switched to the Cindy ones
* Various minty packages installed from Cindy repos (no Cinnamon yet)

From what I can see it's functional but needs some finessing. Slick-greeter needs a bit of work, and Cinnamon (from Stretch) doesn't play nice with VirtualBox Guest, but otherwise it looks ok.

The package repositories also contain this rubbish by default:

Code: Select all

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org stretch main non-free
IMHO that needs killing with fire :x
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

First, I am a long time LMDE fan and supporter.
---
"Is there any reason why I shouldn't drop LMDE2 and go for Debian + Cinnamon?"
No, and Yes.
You really should actually try Both. One or the other might surprise you and fit your personal desires better.
===
"You can configure Debian to look and feel like LMDE2" Very true, but the base is different. There is more to it than just appearances.
===
Mate 1.6 vs 1.8 vs 1.20... really? I run stable (1.6) on most, because it is stable. My Buster/Sid machine has 1.20. As a long time fan and user of Mate I see zero enhancements that I can't wait for Debian to vet and endorse as Stable.
If testing the very latest is your thing, run Buster/Sid.
===

My LMDE Mate got borked by the May 2017 Level One "update".
Same happened with several other machines I own and maintain.
(Borked=Black Screen, no boot). I had to reinstall on most of them, and few (none?) ended up with Mint products.

I experimented installing several other distros with Mate (not all Debian based).
Cinnamon has no appeal, neither does KDE, or Xfce...
I settled on Debian Stretch. The out of the box Mate is excellent, and many features are available in the Debian world that I was unaware of using Mint.

LMDE with Cinnamon has no appeal, none. So for me, personally, LMDE 3 has no appeal.
(I dislike the confusion of various desktops and their various flavors of the apps I use, so Mate on top of Cinnamon is not an option)
I will download LMDE3, I will install it... but who knows. Nobody does at this point, it is still conceptual (or unpublished).

Linux Mint and LMDE are both great distros. They are both Ideal for many.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

sdibaja wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:33 pm
--snip

I experimented installing several other distros with Mate (not all Debian based).
Cinnamon has no appeal, neither does KDE, or Xfce...
I settled on Debian Stretch. The out of the box Mate is excellent, and many features are available in the Debian world that I was unaware of using Mint.

--snip
interesting

I noticed a lot of interest in the KDE desktop so I loaded one of those for familiarization. I think it's like the proverbial Old Shoes though: the Cinamon Desktop just suits me better

that said -- perhaps a couple quick points regarding Mate? Mate is also very well liked.

my Debian 9.3 /Cinamon project is progressing quite well; at this point I see no reason why I can't go Inservice with it on Office1 -- which is my main machine. The PSU and disc for the upgrade arrived this morning.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

axisofevil wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:53 am --snip
So is it reasonable to anticipate that the aim will be Mint in April 2018 and LMDE 3 shortly afterwards?
I can live with a wait for LMDE3 for maybe 9 months time.
:D
have you done any work on the Debian 9.30 ?
I've updated Office1 with a new PSU and disc -- ready for the Debian 9.30 install
VM2B3408-R6.jpg
Debian 9.30 is based on kernel 4.9 -- not 4.14 as we would wish. What I'm looking at now is getting to Kernel 4.14 -- hopefully this time next year -- when -- hopefully revised RYZEN chips will be available.

this will involve new DDR4 memory as well as a MotherBoard and RYZEN chip.

I have Debian 9.30 running in the Research box -- it looks very good.

Thoughts ?
¡Viva la Resistencia!
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

First, I'd like to say that LMDE2 is tremendously lively for a dead distro. It flat does the job, and probably will well beyond 2020. Of course my needs are not that great, I'm not a gamer so I don't need the latest this-and-that. I need basic business software, I need hardware compatibility (most distros won't run my old Canon LiDE scanners, for instance), and I need to run an old Windows audio editor. Cool Edit 2000 won't run on Windows anymore, but will on LMDE2 under WINE. I need to rip CDs and DVDs. I need to hack Android 'phones and tabs. OK, I WANT to hack droids. I could go on, but you get it: LMDE is a workhorse for me with many long years left in it.

That being said, I was (for some reason) excited when Stretch went stable. I installed 9.1 with XFCE on a poor little underpowered Toshiba netbook-on-steroids, Celeron 1.6GHz w/ 1GB RAM, and it loved it. Apparently I did too, 'cuz I went and bought a 260GB SSD for my old Dell Lat E4300 laptop and installed the same distro on it. (OT point of info: I define the difference between a laptop and a netbook as the built-in optical drive.) This one has a core2duo, faster, with 4GB RAM, and it boots cold to desktip in 20 seconds flat. I've kept up all the updates (if that isn't redundant) (or if it is redundant, I did it anyway), including the kernel just the other day, and it still flies. Systemd-init is going to take some getting-used-to; I can't edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local anymore, it doesn't exist! But so far I've been able to get everything I wanted to working, including samba client. The samba server, you guessed it, is my LMDE2 box with terabytes of storage.

So next upgrade to the big desktop? Still up in the air, but I have years to figure it out. It's six years old now and running strong, never had a bit of trouble with it (knock on wood). Maybe Buster when it goes stable, maybe LMDE3 will have a nice easy upgrade path. For now, I ain't gonna fix it 'cuz it ain't broke.

Final thought: what I will not do is upgrade just because something newer comes along. Newer is not necessarily better; Windows has upgraded to the point where it's useless to me now. Mint main edition doesn't support the scanners I cited above anymore. Nougat ROMs for my Asus TF701t tablet don't support the camera. Etc ad nauseum. So my personal answer to the original thread title is a resounding No, Stretch is not the end for LMDE. I see it as the beginning for LMDE3.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Yep it's dead..the commercial necessities of the ubuntu version killed it. Just look at how long it is since Debian 9..they don't any time for it, they can't afford it not for a small bunch of enthusiasts like me with affectations of nerdiness.:(lol)And if there ever is a LMDE 3, i hope they won't try to "Trump" their Cinnamon down our throats.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

There will be an LMDE3 released. And yes, it seems it will be Cinnamon only.
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

LMDE is not dead. LMDE2 is supported until 2020. And from what I read, LMDE3 is almost finished.

Return to “LMDE Archive”