How to compile cinnamon 3.4.6 from sources on debian 9 stable to custom directory, without uninstalling inbuilt cinnamon

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wanderer901

How to compile cinnamon 3.4.6 from sources on debian 9 stable to custom directory, without uninstalling inbuilt cinnamon

Post by wanderer901 »

debian 9 stretch stable has inbuilt cinnamon 3.2.7

debian testing has cinnamon 3.4.6

We use debian 9 stable with cinnamon as desktop in our entire group. Now, Due to heavy user demand of Xapps etc, i want to install cinnamon 3.4.6 by compiling from sources into custom directory say /opt/cinnamon3.4 , but i do not want to uninstall cinnamon 3.2 too. So, that when user tries to login then he can choose between - 'inbuilt cinnamon 3.2' and 'custom compiled cinnamon 3.4'. How to compile as such?

[note: All 'compiling cinnamon from sources' google searches are outdated and compile to global system directories too, which i will like to avoid from fear of polluting inbuilt cinnamon 3.2. I would like to compile to /opt/cinnamon3.4]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to compile cinnamon 3.4.6 from sources on debian 9 stable to custom directory, without uninstalling inbuilt cinn

Post by karlchen »

<moderator on>
Moved the thread from Main Edition - Cinnamon to LMDE2 - Other Topics, because Debian and LMDE2 are very closely related, and because there is no sub-forum for pure Debian
</moderator off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “LMDE Archive”