Dormant distro ? ...

Questions about other topics & discussing non-support related topics related to LMDE 2.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
c++
Level 1
Level 1

Dormant distro ? ...

Postby c++ » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:53 pm

It is LMDE in inactive state ?

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Dormant distro ? ...

Postby catweazel » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Que?
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

lmintnewb2

Postby lmintnewb2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:10 pm

As far as I know, no it's still active and being worked on. Not like Stretch went stable all too long ago, takes the people behind Lmde time to put together the new release, ad in Mint branding and tools etc etc. Though honestly hope they do step up their game. Overwhelming majority of what's used in Lmde has already been put through Debian's exhaustive screening process. So not so much a criticism just an observation. Shouldn't need much by way of additional testing by anyone else. Shouldn't be an over long delay in putting out a new release that's based on it. Only 2 cents and Mint HQ does the work involved so what's, when's etc being their total right to decide.

Again, not criticism just pointless thoughts on this. Ideally a Debian stable based distro would stay closely in step with the Debian releases ( RC's release candidates) and shortly after the official release goes stable, the based distro's branded release iso comes out and does too. Very quickly afterwards. Again though I don't have to do the work and sure Mint HQ has other things to focus on, address and improve that take priority. With limited resources available.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Postby MintBean » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:34 pm

Clem wrote:LMDE 3

It is important for Linux Mint to continue to support LMDE as a fallback option in case Ubuntu ever disappeared and as a development target for the many projects and technologies we work on to guarantee compatibility outside of Linux Mint. It’s a lot of work to support two separate distributions of course (I can’t think of any other project doing that in fact) and LMDE which started as an experiment has obviously a much smaller audience than Linux Mint itself. For these reasons, LMDE is usually very important but not very urgent.

A lot of people asked about LMDE 3 and we now have some information about it.

First, it will be, as predicted, based on Debian Stretch and the codename for LMDE 3 will be “Cindy”.

We’re planning to release LMDE 3 in the first quarter of 2018 and it will ship as a single edition with Cinnamon 3.8.

Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Dr. Octagon » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Stop! Hammer Time!

Here are minimal 5 Threads opened up in the past 3 weeks which are all about what's going on with LMDE. In every single one of them the same rumors occured or better "uihuih when or whenever" whistles out of the longcase clock.

PLEASE: Just read all the threads where "LMDE 3" is in the headline FIRST... and then think about `why 10 times the same question isn't right`at all!

btw.
And think about why 10 times the same satisfying answer isn't enough, too!

Thanks.
A good stumbler doesn't fall...

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Postby curtvaughan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:38 pm

MintBean wrote:
Clem wrote:LMDE 3

It is important for Linux Mint to continue to support LMDE as a fallback option in case Ubuntu ever disappeared and as a development target for the many projects and technologies we work on to guarantee compatibility outside of Linux Mint. It’s a lot of work to support two separate distributions of course (I can’t think of any other project doing that in fact) and LMDE which started as an experiment has obviously a much smaller audience than Linux Mint itself. For these reasons, LMDE is usually very important but not very urgent.

A lot of people asked about LMDE 3 and we now have some information about it.

First, it will be, as predicted, based on Debian Stretch and the codename for LMDE 3 will be “Cindy”.

We’re planning to release LMDE 3 in the first quarter of 2018 and it will ship as a single edition with Cinnamon 3.8.

I was also wondering about the fate of the LMDE distro until I saw that post by Clem in October News. Debian seems to be in such a political fray ever since 2014 over systemd, that I no longer look at it as being at the pentacle of Linux "stability". I sort of, at least philosophically, gave up on Debian after the demise of Ian a couple of years ago. I'm still following Devuan and its downstream distros like "Refracta", and play around with them in virtualbox. Devuan rallies on, even though they only have 5 developers on their team. Once LMDE 3 comes out, I'll probably give it a shot on one of my laptops, bare metal style.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

c++
Level 1
Level 1

Postby c++ » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:41 am

Sorry !

like 50 themes bout LMDE3

:oops:

Pepi
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Pepi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm very happy with LMDE2 :mrgreen: It's a tank

c++
Level 1
Level 1

Postby c++ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:11 pm

This distro is SOOOooo underrated ... bein the B E S T :!: :arrow: :idea: :roll:

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”