What about LMDE 3 and KDE

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmuserx4849

What about LMDE 3 and KDE

Post by lmuserx4849 »

There doesn't seem to be a separate page for LMDE at DistroWatch, and the details seem to reflect LM only. I searched for lmde and it brings up mint.

Clem suggests using the kubuntu ppa on top of linux mint 19 (see quote below). What about LMDE? (Even Ubuntu is based on Debian). Distrowatch lists a number of desktops, including KDE. Would it be better to install LMDE with KDE? He also mentions Arch, I would add OpenSuse Leap. But with Arch or OpenSuse, it won't be an deb package system any longer --- no apt-get, rather pacman and rpm. Everyone I know chose LMDE, I'm the only one with LM, but they also went with Mate not KDE. I'm finding it very difficult to leave KDE, even though I don't use a lot of their apps.

How would I install LMDE with KDE? Has anyone done it?

From: https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian
Desktop: AfterStep, Awesome, Blackbox, Cinnamon, Fluxbox, flwm, FVWM, GNOME, i3, IceWM, ion, JWM, KDE, LXDE, MATE, Openbox, pekwm, Ratpoison, LXQt, WMaker, XBMC, Xfce
Users of the KDE edition represent a portion of our user base. I know from their feedback that they really enjoy it. They will be able to install KDE on top of Linux Mint 19 of course and I’m sure the Kubuntu PPA will continue to be available. They will be able to port Mint software to Kubuntu itself also, or they might want to trade a bit of stability away and move to to a bleeding edge distribution such as Arch to follow upstream KDE more closely.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: What about LMDE 3 and KDE

Post by xenopeek »

You would install KDE on LMDE 3 just as you would on Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/KDE#Installation. I think that is all it will take. We can revisit that question once LMDE 3 is released.
lmuserx4849

Re: What about LMDE 2 and KDE

Post by lmuserx4849 »

xenopeek wrote:You would install KDE on LMDE 3 just as you would on Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/KDE#Installation. I think that is all it will take. We can revisit that question once LMDE 3 is released.
Thanks for the link. I'll probably would try LMDE 2 with "KDE Plasma Desktop" and install selected applications. I'm not sure I want to rely on a PPA for my desktop. From the download page, it seems I install Mate first.

I'll have KDE SystemSettings, but will I have
  • "Driver Manager" module.
  • "Software Manager"
  • "Update Manager"
The folks using LMDE and Mate seem to like it. It is a little dificult when we try to troubleshoot an issue or compare solutions. We always forget we are at different versions of software. I'm on LM 17.3 and they are LMDE 2 and they are more current (ie., libvirt/virt-manager, pulseaudio, bash...).

It's interesting that Ubuntu is based on Debian, and LM is based on Ubuntu, as well as 79 others according to distrowatch. Although, I think that is kind of misleading. Is it that they are based on Ubuntu (based on Debian) pulling from Ubuntu's repros, or are they based on Debian pulling from Debian repros.

Why doesn't LMDE appear as a separate distro on distrowatch?

LMDE is less mainstream than Linux Mint, it has a much smaller user base, it is not compatible with PPAs, and it lacks a few features. That makes it a bit harder to use and harder to find help for, so it is not recommended for novice users.

LMDE is however slightly faster than Linux Mint and it runs newer packages. Life on the LMDE side can be exciting. There are no point releases in LMDE 2, except for bug fixes and security fixes base packages stay the same, but Mint and desktop components are updated continuously. When ready, newly developed features get directly into LMDE 2, whereas they are staged for inclusion on the next upcoming Linux Mint 17.x point release. Consequently, Linux Mint users only run new features when a new point release comes out and they opt-in to upgrade to it. LMDE 2 users don’t have that choice, but they also don’t have to wait for new packages to mature and they usually get to run them first. It’s more risky, but more exciting.
Download links

Cinnamon: [32-bit] [64-bit]
MATE: [32-bit] [64-bit]
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: What about LMDE 3 and KDE

Post by xenopeek »

LMDE 3 is planned as a single edition with Cinnamon (see https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3418). You can of course still install KDE, MATE. Xfce or any other desktop environment on LMDE 3.

Software Manager, Update Manager and Driver Manager are just Python programs and they run unmodified on KDE.

As for DistroWatch, Linux Mint is the distro regardless of which edition you use. In practice many distros have multiple editions on different package bases (a stable one and a rolling one for example, like Debian and openSUSE) and are listed just once on DistroWatch because it isn't another distro.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”